Thread: Las Vegas

Las Vegas

Last time I was in Las Vega was 10 years ago and mainly just passing through. Not a big gambler. My wife and I went this past weekend mainly for a concert. Wheelchair access everywhere we went was great. We stayed at New York New York. Access was good. We were on the 40th floor. Large corner room with many windows. Super fast elevators. From NY NY you can get to the MGM, Tropicana, Luxor, Excalibur, and Mandalay Bay without touching the sidewalk.

Friday we saw a concert at The Pearl Theatre in the The Palms. Staff was great. Took us right through and showed us to our seats. Open space for my chair with a seat for my wife. The Pearl is a small venue. Seats a couple thousand. All seats are good. We saw Mark Knopfler(formerly with Dire Straits) and band. Awesome performance from a guitar master.

​Saturday night we saw KA at he MGM. Staff was also great. Took us up an elevator to our seats. The theatre seats have embedded speakers for enhanced audio. After we settled in the staff brought a speaker on a tripod and placed it behind my chair. When the show was ending they removed the speaker before I realized it was gone. The show was great with huge articulating stages, pyrotechnics, and talented performers.

We took a 30 minute drive out to the Hoover Dam. Took the self tour. Very accessible. Security staff didn't like my WC backpack. Let me through after searching it. In retrospect, probably would leave it in the van. The dam is huge. An amazing accomplishment especially considering 1930's capabilities. The new highway bypass bridge is very cool. Didn't do the pedestrian walkover. Wife's not into heights like that.

If you have the option, hotel prices are alot less on weekdays and the crowds are smaller. Lots of people on the weekends. Crazy drunk people. A good event will get me back there but I personally don't have a need to go back regularly. The shows are entertaining and it is interesting to see this extravagance in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the trip report. I have been thinking about a trip to Las Vegas. I figured it would be a good short test trip for getting used to traveling with a chair. Didn't think about actually having a good time. Sounds like I could :-)

I've been to the Tropicana for several conferences, but did not realize there was an off sidewalk connection to the Luxor etc. Where, how is the connection?

I really enjoyed Vegas when I went. The new bridge at the Hoover Dam is NOT accessible. At least that's what my girlfriend and I were told when we went.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise
    I've been to the Tropicana for several conferences, but did not realize there was an off sidewalk connection to the Luxor etc. Where, how is the connection?
    You would have to take the pedestrian overpass to the Excalibur and then board the tram to Luxor.

[SIZE=13px] [SIZE=13px] [SIZE=13px]I really enjoyed Vegas when I went. The new bridge at the Hoover Dam is NOT accessible. At least that's what my girlfriend and I were told when we went.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px] [SIZE=13px]Colin, Unfortunately you were misinformed, the new overpass bridge is totally accessible.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

I was at the new bridge by the Hoover dam from the NV side earlier this year, there was a ramp, long, quite a few switchbacks. Once on the bridge, HIGH winds, which depending on direction, will either blow you on to the bridge, or make it difficult to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83
    I really enjoyed Vegas when I went. The new bridge at the Hoover Dam is NOT accessible. At least that's what my girlfriend and I were told when we went.

This thread is very interesting since we are planning a trip to Vegas in January. This will be our sons first flight with a chair and we are somewhat concerned about his chair making the trip without being damaged. Any tips on flying would be appreciated. I am also wondering if there is a way to get to and from the airport other than by taxi? We are trying to avoid having to transfer into a taxi.

Is his chair a power chair or manual?? There are wheelchair accessible cabs at the Las Vegas airport...ramp vans. No need to transfer. The same goes for most of the shuttle companies (some but not all of their shuttles have lift equipped minibuses).

From the LasVegas.com website:

AT THE AIRPORT - Lift-equipped shuttles and taxis are available with service to any hotel or motel for less than $10.
    A variety of shuttle/limousine services are available at McCarran International Airport and are located on the north and west sides of baggage claim outside door exits 7 - 13. Please note that there are both group shuttles and "for hire" stretch limousine services. For more information, please visit the McCarran International Airport website.
    In all cases, shuttles run every 15 to 20 minutes. Call for advance reservations or advise the dispatcher at the booth upon arrival. Some shuttles accommodate one wheelchair; some accommodate two. Call again to schedule your return to the airport.

(KLD)

Thanks SCI Nurse for your reply. I don't know why I did not think to check the airports website.