Thread: Antidepressants

Antidepressants

I am in desperate need of an antidepressant, I'm struggling to keep my head above water (literally) because I can't get away from this miserable fucking pain! Someone told me I should try Zoloft has anyone tried this medication? I know it's not going to reduce my pain, however if it will help with my depression and my anxiety it's a start.

I know this is asking those of you who read this to reveal personal information but how many use A antidepressant?
    Talking to a few people and reading some threads on here Cymbalta isn't one I should try.
    Jesus I'm a 48 year old man and I'm scared to death, I cry O lord knows I cry myself to sleep most nights and pray I never wake up. Which is wrong because I don't want to die, but how can I keep on living like this and yet there are people worse off than me who keep going on day after day.

I'm sorry for venting once again it seems like it's becoming a habit. If anyone does have an opinion on anti depressants please post them.

Thank you, Chris

My late wife was on Zoloft for about 6-8 yrs after her hysterectomy. Dr. rx'd it for depression. She tolerated it well and it did seem to help with her depression ( we went thru some very depressing times).

I've been taking clonezapam for about 15 years (essential tremor). I'm now addicted. I've tried to wean myself off it, but if I go below 1mg/day I do get anxious and depressed. It does help me sleep.

Hi cowboy! I would talk to your dr about it. I took it about 15 years ago after my fiancé was killed. It upset my stomach horribly and didn't affect my sadness. I got off of it after a month. You'll want to make sure it interacts well with other meds. I've heard cymbalta is good and impacts several things besides depression. I'm sure your dr will prescribe an appropriate drug for you. Hope things start turning around for you! Thinking of you!

Thanks offroaderswife,

I'm going to call my Dr. Tomorrow and try to get in this week. A friend of mine is the one who told me about Zoloft and thought it worked great when she was on it. I'm very leery of Cymbalta and although I know everyone reacts differently to medications I heard and read some horror stories about Cymbalta.

willingtocope, thank you for replying, I haven't heard of clonezapam however I will be looking it up. Anymore I'm not worried about addiction as long as I can get some sort of relief from the misery my life has become!

smashms, do you take any thing now and if it's not too personal why did you stop taking Zoloft? I really don't want to have to take an antidepressant but I can't get my mind wrapped around my constant nerve pain. Especially the constant pain in my abdomen which in turn is giving me anxiety which is turning into depression. I really don't know how some of you do it. .

Have you considered medical MJ?

I took Zoloft for about seven years after my accident just to try and keep as you said my head above water. One day I just decided to stop looking a life through rose colored glasses and slowly weaned myself off. It's been three years now and even though I have a bad day now and again I still think I am better off now but thats just my own two cents

Amitriptyline is an old antidepressant that's also prescribed in low doses for neuropathic pain. Perhaps therapeutic dosage for antidepressant effect might help your pain as well as your mood. I can't really take antidepressants anymore, since I started having seizures every 6 to 9 months in 2009 (I now take Lyrica to prevent them, which may be working, as I haven't had one since October 2011. Lyrica does nothing for my pains.) Antidepressants lower seizure threshold.

In treating neuropathic pain there are several anti-depressants that focus on pain receptors and help your mood. Venlafaxine, some of the TCAs like desipramine, and of course Cymbalta are the order in which to try. Venlafaxine is cheaper, TCAs are older but reliable, inexpensive but you can't use them long term with patients with cardiac issues. Cymbalta is most expensive. The goal is to get a medication that balances the pain and the mood.

pbr