Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Arm is stuck

Well, the surgery is complete. YAY! There was one large bone chip in the joint and 4 smaller chips scattered about. My doctor was able to remove them all through one incision. Today is my third day home and I am doing well. The first couple of days were very painful, especially during transfers. Today has been a good day, without much pain at all. I'm looking into getting some type of power assist to help preserve my arms for the future.

I had one moment in the hospital that was unforgettable. While I was in pre-op, a nurse came over to my bedside and asked me if I was pregnant. I thought it was a strange question, but I answered, "No." She said that with this type of procedure, they have to ask. Then she said that I should be ready to go in about fifteen minutes, but they needed to do some blood work first, to verify that I wasn't pregnant. Then she said while we were waiting, she would explain the procedure to me. She said, "first we are going to put your legs up in stirrups and expose your vagina." Confused, I interrupted her and said, "What?" She repeated what she said before, "first we are going to put your legs up in stirrups and expose your vagina." I interrupted again and said "what does that have to do with bone chips in my elbow? " She looked at me like she was stunned. She turned her head to look at my iv. Then she looked back at me and said "Oh, that was somebody else." I said "that's a pretty big mistake." She replied "Yes, it is. The good thing is, you won't remember this in the morning" and chuckled. Well I do remember.

A few minutes later the anesthesiologist came in and was spot on about all of my information, and I started to gain some confidence back. After all, it would be him in the OR with me, not that nurse. Then when my doctor came in and spoke, I started to feel even more reassured. The next thing I remember is being wheeled into the OR in a gurney. They placed the gurney next to the bed that they would be placing me on for the surgery. The anesthesiologist gave me another injection through my iv, and the rest is history.

I am glad to be home.

This is why there are normally 2 or three people besides the prep nurse who see your face and chart before any operation. I have been amazed and felt relieved when I would have a surgical RN and then an anesthesiologist RN or MD explain that I should not freak out if I woke up in the ICU. They knew about AD and if it hit they would put me further under and the ICU until they are sure any AD is gone or well controlled is standard for a few hours. Then the regular medical or surgical floor or home as already planned. Never had any weird surgery mix ups but once was handed a cup of meds I didn't recognize in rehab by a float nurse. My team RN made us memorize our meds so I refused them and told her why. She looked at the cup, thought for a second and asked if I ever had high blood pressure. No... She flew out that door and I heard her next door asking about swallowing. Seems even bubble wrapped singles that cost a mint get mixed up too. Next day the guy whose meds I got said he almost took mine with an antibiotic he was allergic to but had just had a cup of yogurt with his kid so had said he'd take the meds after his kid left for the night.
    Glad you're home and feeling better already. If there is a lending closet you might call them about a temporary powerchair. Or any rehabs nearby. I always try to donate old chairs to them first because they cannibalize old chairs until they have a pretty good used one for those inpatiant to use or to loan out until one on order comes in. Then try a DME. My last donation went to my DME first and then on to a local rehab once it was cleaned up and had a few new parts added. If they know you're looking for power assist and you're a customer they might have something around to help until they get good trial pieces for you. But do baby that elbow until well healed.

What is the recommended activity for you post-op? Are you to limit transfers on the side of your shoulder surgery? Will they recommend PT at some point?

pbr

I was impressed that my doctors knew about AD too. The anesthesiologist told me that he wasn't too concerned about AD with me because the area that was being operated on has full sensation. He told me that he would be more concerned about that if the surgery involved an area below my injury. He still suggested that I be intubated because of my impaired cough response and limited lung capacity, due to my SCI. I truly felt that he "did his homework" and I felt very safe with him in control. I'm glad that it is common procedure to check and double check before going into the OR though.

That is pretty scary what happened with you with the meds. I'm glad that you refused to take them. It could have been very bad. One of my doctors once told me that one should know everything they possibly can about their own condition and the medications that are taken. Your example is a perfect explanation as to why. Mistakes happen.

My daily activity is limited to what I can tolerate as far as my pain is concerned. I find it kind of interesting that my doctor wrapped my arm up with very thick layers of gauze and sealed it with an ace wrap. He doesn't want it to be removed at all until I see him on the 19th. The bandage limits my movement a great deal. I am unable to straighten it and the ROM I do have is less than what it was when I went in for the surgery. I think this is his way of limiting my activity, without actually having to tell me so. It also prevents me from bending it too much accidently.

Pt will start after the bandage is removed. Right now there isn't too much that they can do. So we are focusing on figuring out which type of power assist would be best for me and getting the necessary documentation, etc.

I noticed that the two last fingers on my hand aren't as strong as they used to be and the grip is also not quite the same. I hope that this will improve with time. Hopefully, PT will help with that too.

I am glad that you went through with it and that you are doing well at home. Surgery is scary for anyone, much less someone who has less control over their life. But you took the control that you could and got everything you could possibly think of planned for. Great job! Now you just have to wait for the 19th. Keep us posted on the recovery path. You seem to be doing very well!
    CKF