Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm is stuck

This is a new surgery or event so you might could get approved for post surgically for your recovery period for a short period of time. Your doctor has to indicate that you will need more help. It is worth a try.
    CWO

Yes! This worked when my late mother-in-law had a day surgery and Dad was not in the kind of health needed to care for her that first week. I suggested calling a nurse manager at Medicare and she got 3 hours a day for 2 weeks. Safe transfers are an excellent reason to require the extra help.

A strange thing happened today. While I was transferring I felt something move in my elbow. Right after that, I started to have some more range of motion. I could actually touch my shoulder with my hand. Unfortunately, it did not last long. A few minutes later it moved again and I am back to where I started. Another thing though, I have no more pain (knock wood). I can transfer and wheel around without pain, but I still cannot straighten my arm. I do not know why this is happening.

According to everyone I have spoken with there is no exception that will allow me to stay over night in the hospital. I am not eligible to stay in a rehab because that requires a 3 day hospital stay. So going home with some type of home care looks like my best option.

The post care that you were referring to, did you mean for a rehab or for in home care, or both? I do qualify for some home care, but not everyday, so far as I know. The surgery is scheduled for the 6th but I am getting more and more anxious about following through with it, mainly because of my bp. I have a Sp catheter, so that should no™t be a problem.

I am confused as to whether I would need a pca or something else. I never heard of a nurse case manager for Medicare. I will be looking for more information about that tomorrow.

Maybe I need both a home aid and a pca? The main things that I would need help with that I can think of, would be transferring, bathing, getting dressed and maybe some light cooking for the first few days, because I can only get to my stove from my left side because of the way it is set up in this apartment.

In most places if you hire through an agency you'll need a licensed RN to do anything invasive like bp or foley change and to check the surgical site and change dressings. A home health care aid or cna can do bathing, dressing, cooking and anything non-invasive. If you want more help on coordinating care using Medicare you can call and ask for a case manager. Explain as CWO did above that this is a new event/surgery and have your doctor's name and contact information. Let the case manager know everything you need and be blunt about not having family around to help if you don't. I'd stock up on easy to cook or heat meals before the surgery. If you are living alone who will take you to and from the ambulatory surgery center? Even with cataract surgery they want someone with the patient the first night after.

I wish could offer some suggestions but the previous posters have left some good advice. I hope you go through with the surgery because you're going to have to deal with it at some point. Would you be able to consult with the hospital social worker now..instead of waiting until you're there? Those people know the system and how to get things done. I wish you an easy surgery and quick recovery!

Just a quick update. I was able to get in contact with a nurse from the hospital. She helped me to find out which services I would need and where to get them. We just finished up making the arrangements today. As it turns out, it is cheaper to have 24 hour live-in care, than it is to have people come at different times during the day, for the amount of hours I will need initially. So, I opted for 24 hour care for the first few days, and then I will change it to fewer hours as soon as possible. My family is under the impression that I will be up and transferring within a couple of days. I hope that is true. I will try my best.

My brother will be bringing me to the hospital and back and my hired help will be there that night to help me settle in. I guess this means this is all really happening!

Now all that is left to do is to get my supplies in order, and some grocery shopping. I am going to stock up on quick and easy meals, like Sue suggested.

I remembered today that I forgot about one of the most important things lol. How am I planning to get around? Hopefully, I can find a place that will allow me to rent an electric wheelchair. If not, I will find a way to get by with what I have.

I also just realized that I haven't said Thank you once throughout this thread. Thank you very, very much. Hugs to you all.

Please wish me luck on Wednesday.

best of luck keep us updated
    pbr

Thanks, I will. Surgery is scheduled for 7am. I'm not looking forward to this, but am as ready as I'll ever be.

You'll do fine! Maybe ask your brother to sleep over the first night in case the aide has questions or needs help on the first transfer to make sure she understands how you need to do things. After that everything should go fairly well.