Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm is stuck

I would encourage you to take someone with you. Have them write down important information for you. That way you can focus on listening to what the doc says. Good luck! CKF

Thank you! My brother is taking me. I'm heading out now...so nervous..I'll keep you all posted.

Well, I am scheduled for surgery. There are at least 4 bone fragments that need to be removed. He said that my rom is 40 to 60, which is about 50% loss of function. I'm not sure if I am going to go through with it. There is a lot to think about.

What is there to consider? You have 50% reduced function and four fragments floating around. Why would you question having the surgery?

I'm worried about getting help. The doctor told me that I will likely have two incisions. I have bone fragments on the top and bottom of my elbow. He wants to remove the bones from both areas. He said that it has to be done with open surgery as opposed to orthoscopically. He doesn't think he can get to the all of the fragments otherwise. He also wants to "debride" the entire joint space to make sure he gets everything.

My brother and I seemed to have gotten different ideas as to how long the recovery will be. My brother says I should be up and going in a couple of days. My understanding was that it would be at least three weeks before bearing any weight on the arm. I remember the doctor saying that within the first 24 hours or so, we would be starting with physical therapy, but only for range of motion. My brother is telling everyone that is wrong, so when I asked about help, they are taking his word not mine. I know that I have the tendency to let things "go in one ear and out the other" when I get overwhelmed and scared, but I think I got this one right. I hope I am wrong.

If I am right about the recovery, I will not have a lot of help at home. Some of my family might be able to help with things like shopping and getting my prescriptions, but that is about it, because they all work. That makes me worry about everything else, especially getting in and out of bed, and my bowel program.

Right now, I am able to do all of these things without help. It may be painful at times, but I am doing it. That is why I am considering not having the surgery.

Can you get a home health aide for a couple of hours a day or week following the surgery? Ask Social worker.
    CWO

Definitely talk to a hospital social worker. Bone fragments have a bad habit of traveling and that can be dangerous. Even if they stay put they could permanently limit the use of your arm. Maybe get a second opinion about doing this orthoscopically?

Stand up and holler if you have to. Sometimes family does not see you as very disabled if you are doing it all on your own. Let them know that this is different and you will need all kinds of help (be specific) and do what ever it takes to secure said help. Even if it means getting outside help for the things that you don't want family getting involved in. You may have to just pay someone to come in for a while.

These bone fragments can do all kinds of damage to the joint. If you do not want to be permanently compromised then get the surgery done. Where will you be then?

There is a home health care facility near here that has helped me in the past. Their services include nursing care, home health aides, and physical therapy. My insurance will cover three days a week for all of these services combined. I don't think it includes things, like helping with transferring, bathing or any other type of personal care, which is what I will need the most help with, at least for the first few days or so. I will have to fill in the gap for the remaining days after that. I think I would have to hire a personal care attendant. Does anyone know what a fair price would be for that if I were to pay independently?

If you can get the home health place to do bowel care through their nursing care then you mainly will need a trained aide. Do you know anyone personally at the facility that would moonlight for getting you up and putting you back to bed and showers? You might want to switch to a foley for a week or two if you are doing CIC. Without knowing your location it's hard to say what the going rate is. Maybe check with the nearest Center for Independent Living or ILC. And you'll want to find out if nursing care is for a minimum billing period per day or visit. Many agencies charge for 2 hours even if you just need a 20 minute foley change. So if you get 2 hours ask for bowel care and shower to check your skin... You probably will be wiggling around less so that is a valid concern.