Thread: any other complaints about catheters made in China?

any other complaints about catheters made in China?

I switched from American made catheters to ones made in China. The first new one was inserted, and soon after (about a week -don't remember exactly) I began dripping like a faucet! And, my urine had a foul odor. I’m now being treated for a UTI. My husband wonders if maybe Chinese standards of sterility aren’t as strict as in the US and that the new catheter was to blame. Any of you had similar experiences or heard of this happening?

Most of the closed kits used to be made in Malaysia. The plants that make these for US use are supposed to be inspected by the FDA for maintaining good manufacturing practices standards. Might check any recalls or reports on the FDA.gov site for medical devices. Although anything recalled is normally sent to pharmacies or doctors that use the equipment and yanked off shelves.

we just use individually wrapped catheters instead of kits. does this apply to them also?

I woudn't put anything from China in my body by mouth or otherwise.

I would check the FDA site. I am not sure of the standards in China - I do know that if the goods are for consumption in the US they are supposed to meet our standards. key word: supposed to.
    CKF