Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm is stuck

Arm is stuck

Has anyone ever had this happen before? I got up this morning and my arm is stuck in a bent position. It won't let me straighten it out. There is no pain except for when it is touched. Then it feels like it has been bruised. I'm thinking about calling someone and going to the er, because I'm not sure if I can transfer tonight for bed. Right now I have it wrapped with an ace wrap. It is helping a little, but not a lot. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on what it could be and what to do for it?

What level is your injury?

Once, in rehab while long sitting, with my arms behind me for support, I dislocated elbow causing me not to be able to lay correctly... had to get it popped back in and stopped doing those stretches.

I'm a T6 para complete. I just got back from the ER. I have a large bone chip in my elbow. I have to see an orthopedic surgeon on Monday. My arm still will not straighten. I have to be very careful with it. It hurts quite a bit when I try to transfer. I don't know what happens next. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for your responses. Please wish me luck on Monday.

I'm surprised they didn't find it before now. Most rehabs insist on head to toe xrays before touching you just because of this kind of stuff. I'd say in this case bigger is better and do start a list of questions you want answers to if removal is the final answer. Things like how long not using it, possible complications, more rounds of PT and OT needed to make the most of it. And insist on tiny stitches so you have pretty elbows by next summer.

Let us know what they say onMonday. Sue is right- go in as prepared as you can be with questions. You might also want to add to the list " is surgery the inky option? If not, what is the expected time frame to recover? CKF

And where did the chip come from?

Sue has a good idea, find out where the chip came from. Back when I was in high school I chipped a bone in my knee and had to have surgery on it because the chip would float and make my knee get stuck or lock up on me. Very painful. I put it off too long and had a lot of damage to repair when I finally got around to it. This was prior to arthroscopic surgery techniques they have today. See about having it taken care of by arthroscopic methods.

They kept asking me if I had some type of trauma. I don't know how long the chip has been there. The doctor told me that is was on the anterior part of my arm and that it was stuck in the joint. She said that that is a good thing for surgery. I'm not sure why. They didn't tell me much more than that. I think they are leaving the rest for the orthopedic doctor to tell me. I will write down a list of questions. I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed. I will let you all know what happens on Monday. Thanks for listening everybody, it helps to vent a little.

I think that is what is going to happen. The joint is still stuck and transferring with it that way is really tough. I wish that it would dislodge from the joint and give me a little more rom. A friend of mine also told me that, even if it is not in the joint, that it can still cause a lot of damage. So, I think you are right that it will have to be removed, regardless of where it is. I hope that it won't be a long recovery though. I don't want to stay over night in the hospital either. There are a lot of unknowns. I'm working on some questions, as everyone has suggested. I hope I won't forget anything. Thanks for the advice. I'll take all I can get. lol