Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FES Electrodes and sensitive skin

FES Electrodes and sensitive skin

I have sensitive skin and I am in a constant struggle to keep it healthy. The standard electrodes recommended by the people at Restorative Therapies irritate my skin, and if I am not careful will cause a chemical burn type rash. Does anyone else have a similar problem and found a solution? I've tried Restorative Therapies electrodes for 'sensitive skin', but they didn't make a difference.

What I would like to find are the reusable 'non-adhesive' electrodes that are held on with tape. This is what we used back in the 80s when pedaling the REGYS FES bike. Never had a problem then. I have searched the Internet with no luck, the self-adhesive style of electrodes seem to have taken over the market.

Thank you for your input.

Noel

Blog Entries
    It's possible you might have a latex allergy. Are hypo-allergenic or latex free electrodes available? I was thinking of something like

http://www.las-cruces-medical-suppli...ee-electrodes/

I have no experience with this supplier.

Thank you Tom, I've never had a problem with latex but plastic surgical tape burns my skin worse than these electrodes do. I checked your link out; so far I have not found " sensitive skin" electrodes that work with my skin, they irritate me in the same way. I actually suspect, the only difference in these is less glue.
    I really wish I could find the tape on electrodes, hard to believe that they stopped manufacturing them.
    At the moment I'm taking a break from the bike too heal. The skin on top of my thighs is raw and a constant irritant, it's causing strong spasms and AD. Funny thing is, this is the only part of my body where the electrodes bother my skin.

Solution

I found a workable solution for my sensitive skin. My goal was to go back to old school and use the black rubber carbon electrodes that are held on with tape patches. After an exhaustive search I found the electrodes and patches. However, unlike the new style of electrodes these old style electrodes lack the male fitting that plugs into the RT-300 wiring harness.

My solution is to use worn out self-adhesive electrodes with the tape patches I found. The processes is still old school. I apply a coating of Electro-Gel to the electrode and then tape it in place. It holds better than a new self-adhesive electrode does and my skin is healthy, no sign of irritation at all. It's wonderful, I'm back to exercising whenever and as often as I like.

I found the tape patches and electrodes at Amazon:

Universal Tape Patches.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carbon Rubber Electrodes.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same issue and also ride an original ERGYS from the 80's. I have to use the stimwear to prevent irritation and burns as well. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimwolf19 View Post
    I have the same issue and also ride an original ERGYS from the 80's. I have to use the stimwear to prevent irritation and burns as well. Jim
    Thank you for the input Jim, I had almost forgotten about the Stimwear do you know if they still make it? This may be the perfect solution although the last time I checked it was very expensive. Is it difficult to put on? As soon as my legs stabilize in size I will be considering a purchase. My bony bird legs are filling out nicely, in fact they almost look "normal" now. I have been peddling for a year straight.

If I remember correctly, the last time I rode an ERGYS bike was in 1989 or 1990. The REGYS trials had already finished and a rehab gym opened up in Everett Washington with a couple of the new ERGYS bikes. I was part of a research program and once it finished I could not afford the $35.00 a visit.

Yes, they cost I think $900 or so. I bought my latest set in 2011 and they're still working. They tend to last about 4 years for me. I was part of the 2005/6 trials in Miami and still use my original bike with an ErGYS 2 upgrade. I can tell you where to get cheap gel but otherwise, they seem to have us for the stimwear. I'm a strong C-6/7 and can put it on myself in bed. Has to be easier than patches and tape I'd think??

Quote Originally Posted by jimwolf19 View Post
    Yes, they cost I think $900 or so.
    The initial cost is expensive but if the stimwear last 4 years it would be well worth it, especially considering time and cost of materials. I average an 1.5 hours with setup, tear down, and cleaning up. Plus, I do not always have the same person doing setup which can result in having to repositioning electrodes.

Using the stimwear would definitely be easier, and a better investment. The big question now is, will the manufacturer make it to fit the RT-300 wiring harness? I will give the company a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    The initial cost is expensive but if the stimwear last 4 years it would be well worth it, especially considering time and cost of materials. I average an 1.5 hours with setup, tear down, and cleaning up. Plus, I do not always have the same person doing setup which can result in having to repositioning electrodes.

Using the stimwear would definitely be easier, and a better investment. The big question now is, will the manufacturer make it to fit the RT-300 wiring harness? I will give the company a call.
    What kind of schedule are you all on with your rt300? I'm about a week into it. The trainer recommended 3x per week, web site recommends every day.

Blog Entries
    I use it 3 X week. I would use it every day if I had the time, but I don't.