Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's for Tablet Pro's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent T
    On tablets avoid the Surface and anything Windows 8 in tablets unless powered by Intel processors. The ARM Windows 8 machines are still buggy and app selection very limited.
    What a crock of shit. Stop talking out of your ass.

Mine have been working great. For what it's worth it looks like the Surface 2 can handle quite a bit ... http://www.hanselman.com/blog/UsingA...udioAzure.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Kent T
    Tablets are not recommended for movie duty. Apple's iPad is about the only tablet which could do this but you'd need the 32 GB model (a full length movie is easily 4GB of memory and change alone). Two sets of headphones not doable without adapters. I'd recommend a thin/light laptop with an optical drive for movie use. Something 13" and one notch up from an ultrabook. Which can play DVD.
    I watch movies all the time on an iPad. It's fine for that. I agree you need at least 32GB though. I have never tried dual headphones.

If anyone is interested in how much you can really do with the Surface, here's a good video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1b0yBJHLM

OK GURU'S Would this work good for my use of surfing net ,playing games at home,and then watching movies while flying around the country.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00D...fiona-hardware

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    For 50 bucks more you get 64 GB instead of 32 GB.

~7 inch android tablet I would first recommend Nexus 7. Get the newest one 16 GB for $229 and the 32 GB for $269.
    I would also look at the new Dell Venue 7 and 8 inch android tablets. 16 GB versions starting at $149.

The hottest tablet is the new Dell Venue 8 Pro running full Windows 8.1, atom quad core processor, 2 GB RAM in 32 and 64 GB capacities respectively. You also get a full version of Microsoft Office which alone is $100. This is a full-fledged computer in an 8 inch tablet form. One caveat using desktop on an 8 inch tablet might be somewhat painful because the touch targets are so small. Purchase the stylus and tape it to a mouse stick if needed.

You can also pick up the first generation Microsoft Surface RT at rock-bottom prices knowing that it will only run "Metro" style applications found in the Microsoft store but you also get Microsoft Office preinstalled. With the Windows 8.1 upgrade it has seen some slight improvement in speed. They can be had for $349. If you are using this form basic computing such as web surfing, watching movies, or listening to music this is a reasonable choice.

The new Amazon Kindle's are very nice tablets and would work perfectly for what you are doing however I would seriously consider purchasing this only if you are a Amazon prime user and you shop at Amazon frequently. You will get more benefit from the tablet if you are an Amazon prime scriber.

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs
    OK GURU'S Would this work good for my use of surfing net ,playing games at home,and then watching movies while flying around the country.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00D...fiona-hardware
    The new Amazon Kindle's are very nice tablets and would work perfectly for what you are doing. However I would seriously consider purchasing this only if you are a Amazon prime user and you shop at Amazon frequently. You will get more benefit from the tablet if you are an Amazon prime scriber. Basically because you are buying into the Amazon ecosystem. Amazon kindles are tied to Amazon app store and cannot be used with the Google play store.

Since the time the original post was made, the iPad Air is released. It's nice, light, pretty good. I don't really think tablets are good for serious work though, just for browsing, watching movies, that kind of thing.

Good e-reader. Not a great gamer, not great for movies without Internet streaming. Good for Amazon centric content, does nothing else well. No browser choice, not accessibility friendly.Small screen. A regular laptop is a better choice than a horribly limited tablet. Unless you are a touchscreen lover, avoid Windows 8. Stick to Windows 7 for gaming. I could have any tablet I wanted for work, none of them do it all for me. I prefer my work Toughbook on the road, even though it is not lightweight. The Surface Pro is a contender for you, it can run normal PC apps. And be good as a lightweight alternative. In Android, the Samsung Galaxy is worth looking into for an iPad alternative, I played with one last week, might consider one.