Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's for Tablet Pro's.

Q's for Tablet Pro's.

Would like to hear from peeps with tablets,we want one and dont know anything about them, other than you can surf.
    Can i load full length movies and watch while travelling/ flying, can we plug two sets of ear phones when watching .

I guess the big question is Android vs. IOS.
    I picked up a refurbished Nexus 7 and I love it.
    I recently discovered that I can attach a mouse and/or keyboard to it via an OTG connector ($5 investment) - so basically I can do just about anything I need through the tablet with great ease.
    You can use google docs for basic office stuff or I use a product called Documents to Go to do word and excel - the full version costs about $15 or $20.
    There are lots of options - and many good ones.
    Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I recently discovered that I can attach a mouse and/or keyboard to it via an OTG connector ($5 investment) - so basically I can do just about anything I need through the tablet with great ease.
    or you can use a bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse - wirelessly.

You can use google docs for basic office stuff or I use a product called Documents to Go to do word and excel - the full version costs about $15 or $20.
    Quickoffice works w/ Google Drive, and it's free: http://www.google.com/drive/apps.html#quickoffice

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs
    Would like to hear from peeps with tablets,we want one and dont know anything about them, other than you can surf.
    Can i load full length movies and watch while travelling/ flying, can we plug two sets of ear phones when watching .
    OK :) going to try my Q again :)

Tablets are not recommended for movie duty. Apple's iPad is about the only tablet which could do this but you'd need the 32 GB model (a full length movie is easily 4GB of memory and change alone). Two sets of headphones not doable without adapters. I'd recommend a thin/light laptop with an optical drive for movie use. Something 13" and one notch up from an ultrabook. Which can play DVD.

thank you very much

earphone splitters are from $6 to $10 http://www.tmart.com/3.5mm-Earphone-...FQyg4Aodn1MAxw

For larger audiences (more than two), you can get a bluetooth speaker and play the sound. I use a jambox. The sound is amazing. https://jawbone.com/speakers?gclid=C...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

On rare occasions when there is a very special movie, I rent the movie (from iTunes or Amazon) and play them on long-airplane rides. I can dump rented movies afterwards so that they don't take up too much memory, as Kent T says.

I agree that the Jambox is a great little speaker. I have the big one, the little one (for travel), and just purchased the mini. At the risk of everyone on this board piling on, I use a 64GB Surface 2. A two hour movie rips down to MP4 at around 2GB so you can actually carry quite a bit around with you. Since the Surface 2 has a built in USB port, I usually just copy any movies I want to watch while traveling onto a thumb drive. If I need more (which isn't very often) I pack a portable hard disk. I use Plex to play them. If I find I don't have the movie I want I can also stream the movie from my home server. Just a different non-Apple-centric option.

Blog Entries
    I have a Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T that you can get for $400 and up as a tablet, or for $60 more with a laptop-like keyboard. It has Windows 8 and it is very intuitive to use Win8 in the tablet mode, but I switch to Desktop mode when I have the keyboard attached. If you hate the "Modern" or "Metro" UI, you can purchase Start8 for $5 and restore the Win7 start button. It comes with a 64GB SSD and I love mine. There are a lot of free apps on the Microsoft Marketplace, as on the Android system, but not nearly as many. Comes with front and rear cameras, built-in mic and speakers, Bluetooth and WiFi. I bought a like-new one on Ebay for $395 and Amazon has used for $375 and up.

On tablets avoid the Surface and anything Windows 8 in tablets unless powered by Intel processors. The ARM Windows 8 machines are still buggy and app selection very limited. Surface Pro and Intel X86 compatible processors can run normal PC apps.