Thread: glass shower doors

glass shower doors

Does anyone have glass shower doors? I would like them but I'm having trouble figuring out how it might work. I'd like a zero or really slight threshold, which I certainly think is doable. I don't shower in the wheelchair. I transfer to a bench shower seat. I'd like to be able to pull up alongside the shower right next to the shower seat, and then transfer and close the shower door. I thought a sliding door would work best so I wouldn't have to move my wheelchair. A hinged door would be more difficult in my mind. But I just don't know if it would be wide enough to transfer with the sliding door. It might be pretty tight when I'm pulling my legs into the shower.

Maybe I'd be best suited sticking with the roll in with a curtain. What I don't like about it is that I always end up with some water splashing out onto my front tires, and then (because they usually have some dirt on them) I end up with wet dirty floors. I also prefer the look of the glass doors. Any one else have this problem of wet dirty floors after showering? Any advice on how I could make glass doors work?

Hey, for sure a sliding glass door would be perfect, though make sure its not the type to come off hinges and or jam up and stuff. I understand it is very important not to allow water to splash all over the floor and your chair.

Why not though get the slider or curtain, but buy a purpose shower commode chair. I have an Invacare Ocean and it is awesome, you can buy big self propel waterproof wheels for it too!.

Just some thoughts on this.

A good quality heavy duty (fabric or heavy plastic) shower curtain can be taken down and laundered. They are not going to injure you if you fall against them or or break if you run into them with a shower or wheelchair, and can be retracted out of the way for transferring into the shower much easier and more fully than a glass sliding door. A glass shower door takes a lot of care. If you don't dry off the entire inside surface (squeegee and or towel dry) after every shower, it starts to accumulate water spots (and sometimes mold).

In addition, most inexpensive sliding shower doors require a track on the bottom that may interfere with getting in/out with a rolling shower/commode chair, and/or add a trip risk or risk of foot injury when used in a zero threshold or roll-in shower. There is hardware available that eliminates the use of a bottom track, but it is not inexpensive. An example are Waimea Frameless Sliding Shower Doors. A good place to search for photo ideas is Houzz.com

(KLD)

No Title

Hey! This guy is building a 3450 square foot plus house and you want to put a shower curtain up? Hey, this guy has some cash to throw around let's be creative. A Basco shower door that is hinged will do the job. They come in all sizes and color trim and glass textures. A slider type door will fill with dirt, grim and soap scum then it will be hard to close. A piano hinge type tempered glass door will serve his purpose. It opens and closes almost friction free. It uses a magnet to lock the door. Once you are inside you just need to grab the towel bar handle to close the door and take your shower. Here's a Basco shower door I used on my shower room in my old house.

Ti

scinurse, your points are well taken. I know that it will be more expensive, but I'm willing to consider it depending on the cost difference. Ti, that door looks nice. I'd like to have a fold down seat so it's out of the way when my wife showers. I'm thinking if the door was set up like yours, and when you enter there's a fold down seat immediately to the left, I could transfer and still be able to push my chair back out of the shower. I could then close the door. scinurse, also thanks for pointing out houzz. I've already found some cool ideas on there. I'm also thinking a roll in with no door might work. I could put some mats down to help keep my wheels somewhat dry. I do want it to seem somewhat open, so I'm liking the idea of half walls with glass on the top surrounding the shower. Here's one I found on houzz that I like quite a bit. Do you think a half wall like that could support a fold down shower seat?
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/1327824/...m-philadelphia

If you do a fold down seat, make sure it is deep enough. Most I've used in motels are shallow, so you feel like you're going to slide or fall off. Check with your wife. She may love a permanent seat/bench. Women like them to sit on to shave their legs.
    How about splitting the difference and putting a 4 inch curb at the bottom of the shower, with a curtain inside. I have a curtain with pockets. Handy to put all you stuff in. Its plastic, which I don't like. I need to make one out of cloth, so I can launder it.

If you're still constructing, consider the roll-in option with twin benches like mine.
    After transferring not the first bench, you can lower the 2nd one and pull your legs up onto the platform it becomes.
    Never had a problem with casters getting wet; occasionally there will be a few drops on the foot-plate.
    Here's my link:#19

I have a glass shower door and it does keep the water in better but is more of a challenge to clean but getting in and out has not been an issue. I am also a low level para so not sure how your transfer skills compare to mine.

Tarantella,

Why keep your tires totally dry? Run it in and wash the treads with the shower wand. When you run across your mats back and forth a couple of times a bit later that will dry them off. I don't know what agility you have left, but a thin rod with an oversized loop to go over the joy stick, and attached to the rod will allow you to roll your chair back and bring it back close enough for you to get into it.

A little water not directly applied to the motors will not harm them. I drive in parallel to my shower and transfer to my shower chair. I use the arms on my chair and the back of the shower stainless bars to steady and assist lifting myself going each way, in and out. As you can imagine shower curtains inside the confines of the shower are practical for me.

I often use my forearm crutches to bring my chair to me if it away but close enough to me. Crutches themselves are dangerous in a shower or often on a tile floor, but the arm loops aren't, when beconning the chair. Of course a RC Control for my wheelchair would be 100% better which I have plans for.