Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on Adjustments

ZX-1 Power Add-on Adjustments

I started this as a separate thread, because there are technical problems with the ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread. My apologies for the problems with that thread, it was because I posted a video, and there is a bug.

We received the new 40 lb. gas springs from Spinergy. They are 7.5" Columbia Struts CS750-40 (40 = force). Apparently the are considered standard extension/compression gas springs or "struts" (non-locking).

There was no documentation included with the gas springs about how to install them. Based on what others advised, I contacted Spinergy. They very kindly sent a video of installing them. I've asked their permission to post it on YouTube and will send a link if they agree.

I think I a™m seeing what the problem may be with the "thump" when we raise the actuator on the ZX-1. Although the anti-tilt height adjustment is between 1 and 2 inches of the backrest rigidizer bar (as documented), it is hitting the Tishaft Back release bar on the ZRA wheelchair. I can even see where the anti-tilt wheels have rubbed off the paint. I think we will need to adjust the height about .5-1".

I remember when ordering the ZRA I wished we could have given a backrest rigidizer bar placement height so we could make sure it was a bit higher. I think we will have only a small margin for this adjustment. It may be something worth considering for others ordering a new chair for use with the ZX-1.

I made a video with Rob in the chair and also without him in the chair in case anyone is interested. It shows the ZX-1 Power Add-on Anti-Tilt mechanism hitting the back release bar on a TiLite ZRA. http://youtu.be/wEbNBz-h03k

We were able to install the new 40 lb. gas springs tonight, but only temporarily. The new 40 lb. gas springs were a different type than the 70 lb. gas springs. It appears that the "lid" that you need to prop up on the ball socket has changed. Unfortunately, the video that Spiinergy sent were for the other gas springs, and we followed it. That meant that we had to force the "lid" back, and it damaged them. We got Spinergy on the phone right away, and they are sending us a new set. On the new type of gas springs the "lid" no longer needs to be propped up on the ball socket. You just click them on the ball head.

We also made adjustments to the anti-tilt by .5" but it is still hitting the Tishaft Back release bar. More playing with that tomorrow....

Sounds like you are getting along with the adjustments - was surprised that the back release bar was a factor. Thanks for the video, it makes things clear. I'm not having a problem but plan to check it out. My back release bar, from quick look and measure, appears about 7+ inches from back rigidizer bar on wheelchair.

I did not have time to get back to it today, but will over the weekend. We have another .5-1" of play with the rigidizer bar as far as I am physically seeing, though it will make it less than the documented amount of 1" below the back rigidizer bar. I am thinking that they documented this based on chairs tested, and more of general rule, rather than an definite rule if you are working with a small amount of space. For us, I think this will be needed, and unless someone can give good reason on why .5" under the rigidizer bar won't work, I'm going for it. Once we get something working, I'll confirm with Spinergy if there are any issues with it and report back here.

For you triumph, I think this will be be no problem if your back rigidizer bar is 7+ inches from your back release bar -- you should have plenty of play. We only have about 3 3/8" between the back rigidizer bar and the back release bar. I'm glad I caught this now, because it's clear that the back release bar is taking a beating. Feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Thanks for the comments. I love my zx1 and it's working for me just as I wanted. One example, in my 5 hour studio pottery class I "doff" it in a corner then wheel around the tight aisles. Classmates have asked about it and one woman got down on the floor to watch the attaching - she has a grandchild with Spina Bifida. It's so great for carrying awkward/heavier things on my lap..

Well I thought it would be only a matter of time before the ZX1 started creating wear and tear on my manual wheelchair not designed for the extra stresses. I use 6 inch frogs legs composite casters which have cracked in various places around the bearing housing. I am still keen on soft roll casters as I don't want to have to go back to pneumatic so I wonder what would be more suitable or in this case more durable.

My wheelchairs have been reinforced for E-Motion wheel use so I don't expect too many problems there but I suspect a lot of lightweight wheelchairs may not like the extra stresses the ZX1 applies. Glad I've got one now, I hope it's not a problem in the future. I have to say I have been giving the ZX1 a real hammering, not on purpose but I do have a a lot of up and down boardwalks, 1 inch lips to cross. Anyway I need a decent wheel.

We have FrogLegs soft rolls with aluminium hubs. I think they are really needed with the ZX-1. Having a Freewheel will certainly will help on the wear and tear too.

We are really struggling to get the placement of the anti-tilt mechanism.correct. What we have realized is that we think their are problems with the anti-tilt assembly and have some questions. Any input would be much appreciated.
    1) We are unsure what the depth should be behind the wheelchair back post and the anti-wheel

2) The anti-tilt does not appear straight. We are needing to put the screws in different holes on each side of the armrest backrest and height bracket.

3) We also think there is too much play in the anti-tilt height bracket and are not sure it is tilting at the proper place to be using the gas springs. We think it is causing it to tilt at the bottom shock nuts (A in photo), where it appears it should tilt at the top nut by the rod (B in photo).

I've had my ZX1 for more than two years. Pat sent me that anti tip accessory but I've never put it on as it feels so heavy and cumbersome. For me, I anticipate the armrests will be dipping going down my van ramp and go as slow as needed. How many ramps or steep angles is Rob using it on E.? Does he really need the anti-tips?

The anti tips are for the armrests dipping going over a ledge on a ramp right. I doubt any chair would tip over backwards with the ZX attached.

Thanks for your input Patrick. I had forgot about the anti-tilt being for the armrests and not for tipping backwards. I am also wondering if we really need the anit-tilt. Although we do have some ramps to deal with, Rob will always be going very slow on them. Especially with the anti-tilt not being straight, I don't like where we have the armrest brackets placed now in order to clear the back rigidizer bar and back release bar. I'm wondering if the anti-tilt was damaged in shipping. I sent an e-mail to Spinergy, and hope to get their input also,