Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Tilite Aero X order

Questions about Tilite Aero X order

I think I have figured out my most of my specs for ordering my new Tilite Aero X but looking for help on following options: 1. solid or pneumatic tires since part time user? My rep is recommending solid marathon tires, but have read that pneumatics give better ride. 2. solid or pneumatic tires for the e-motion power assist wheels? 3. Hand rims? looking for some with at least some grip because my hands don't work very well

Dont get a aero x they are GARBAGE I have one that is not even two years old & the bracket that holds the chair from falling apart on the bottom , connecting the X bracket that lets the chair fold & unfold has broken twice already. Not to mention that everything else on the chair rattles wiggles and feels like it is going to crumble under me. I am probably harder than most on my chair but I expectd alot more from supposedly the "best" wheelchair company . Just my exprience fiured I would try & help out if I ever seen someone on here say they were gonna get one.

Can you fix a flat tire (change a tube)? If so, get good pneumatics. If changing a tube (especially when you're away from home) is too daunting a task, get solids. IMO pneumatics give a better ride, but getting stranded because of flat may trump a slightly better push.

That said, I've used both and prefer pneumatics, but I enjoy maintaining things (like changing a tube). I've had only one flat in 2.5 years on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolutions (MPE) (http://www.schwalbetires.com/wheelch...plus_evolution).

I love my Surge handrims by OutFront (http://www.out-front.com/surge_overview.php). I have good grip but little dexterity.

Do you really need a folding chair? Rigids are much nicer.

Thanks for that input allenstevens, do you have any experience with a good folding chair then or other recommendation?

Those are good points, I don't have the ability to change my own tire, but I am also unable to propel myself so someone is always with me if I would happen to have a flat. I only use the chair part time whenever we go out of the house and can't take my power chair. I really would like pneumatics and from what I have read on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is they are pretty puncture resistant. The reason I need a folding chair is to make it as easy and fast as possible for my wife to load and unload the chair since I don't have the strength or ability to do that. Again since I only use it part time I am hoping it will be okay, I have been using a Tracer SX for approx 4 years now so it has to be better and lighter than it. Thanks for your help

The only way I can see loading a folder as being significantly faster/easier than loading a rigid is if whoever's loading it isn't taking the wheels off first and is just collapsing it and hauling it in wholesale. In the interests of not stressing the loader's body more than necessary, I think that the back wheels should always be popped off and loaded separately from the frame of the chair. Once you've done that, the differences are that the folder folds in on itself sideways, becoming narrower, where the back of the rigid folds down, reducing the height but not the width. This affects where/how it will fit in a vehicle more than it affects loading ease for the average able-bodied person, IMHO. If I were you, I wouldn't rule out a rigid based on your estimation of your wife's loading ease if she hasn't actually tried loading a rigid before. It might be an idea to go on YouTube and watch some videos with your wife of various kinds of chairs being loaded and unloaded. You might find that she thinks she could handle a rigid just as easily, and then you'd have twice as many choices of chairs! :-) Good luck.

Also, you say you are unable to propel yourself, but you also ask about hand rims with good grip. I'm thinking you can propel at least a little. A rigid supposedly allows more of the effort from each push to be translated into propulsion, because the folding mechanism isn't eating any of it. I don't know the details of your disability or what manuals you've used before, but it's just possible you'll be surprised how much you can do in a really good manual chair. I was.

Yeah that is the issue with a ridgid my wife would prefer not to have to remove and install the wheels every time she loads / unloads the chair. Since she has to do all the work I want it to be as quick, easy and light as possible. My current and only chair is a Tracer SX so getting either of these chairs should be much lighter and better. The only way I can propel is with the e-motion wheels so these are what I need the hand rims with some grip. They offer either a dipped vinyl coating or removable rubber options. I am assuming the dipped vinyl coated one is the better option?

If you are thinking of getting the E-motions, you better try them first. They are heavy and difficult to take off the chair. You might look at the Smart drive and the ZX1.

I wouldn't recommend the zx1 in this case, it turns a manual into a powerchair and since the purpose of getting a manual is for uses outside of the powerchair he already has it seems silly.

I agree though about trying out the emotions well, especially with your wife loading them. They're SUPER heavy, and I don't know if it would really be possible even for her to load the chair with 2 emotions wheels on it without assistance. I highly recommend trying out the smart drive, it would give power assist in a similar but better method than emotion wheels while being incredibly light weight.

I would be surprised if your wife (and her back!) were willing to routinely load a wheelchair without removing the wheels first if the wheels are e-motions! They weigh, what, 20 lbs each? Each one is potentially heavier than your entire wheelchair frame.

For what it's worth, my mother has had years of experience loading both a folder and a rigid for me. She infinitely prefers the rigid and has no problem taking wheels on and off. This breaks the chair up into much more manageable parts--they're lighter, and there are more options for stowing them. Currently our car (big by NZ standards but probably not by American ones) has to fit a rugby wheelchair, my day chair, and the wheels for each. It wouldn't be doable if we couldn't pop off the wheels and put both pairs in the boot (trunk) while the chair frames share the back seat. If the extra weight of the e-motions means that your wife WILL be removing them for loading, then that obviates your stated need to choose folding over rigid.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that "quick, easy, and light" is a combination that's physically possible if you define "quick" and "easy" both as including "not having to take the wheels off".

Just wanting to make sure you've really thought through all the issues here, as getting the right wheelchair is potentially a health issue for both you AND your wife.