Thread: FES bike. And recovery?

FES bike. And recovery?

I'm about to get this bike for home use with the hand cycle included, I'm getting it to help with bone loss and all the side effects from SCI. I'm curious can and FES bike promote functional recovery, has it been proven in Any studies?

Go to the christopher reeve foundation website. In the small google search bar type FES bike. You'll see plenty of studies as to what an FES bike purportedly can and can not do.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM
    I'm about to get this bike for home use with the hand cycle included, I'm getting it to help with bone loss and all the side effects from SCI. I'm curious can and FES bike promote functional recovery, has it been proven in Any studies?
    James, there is a white paper published and you can read it on the RTI website

There is more research than anyone has time to read showing that FES cycling will maintain or even increase muscle mass, improve cardiovascular health, increase circulation to reduce sores, and maintain a healthy body weight. There really isn't any solid evidence demonstrating functional return, except in rare, individual cases. That being said, FES bikes and arm cycles are a very good investment if you're looking to keep your body healthy.