Thread: battery powered socks

battery powered socks

Anyone used battery powered socks to stay warm while hunting or skiing?

You might get a better response posting this in the Recreation, Sports... Forum where the hunters and skiers hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2
    Anyone used battery powered socks to stay warm while hunting or skiing?
    [SIZE=14px]The people I have heard talking about these socks say they keep the feet warm, then hot and then they take the batteries out as they get very hot and starts making their feet sweat. My younger brother was the first to warn me against them...apparently they work. If you don't have feeling in your feet, I would strongly advise never using them.

Good luck.[/SIZE]

I would not advise the use of any heating device such as this (or hot pads, hot water bottles, electric blankets, etc. etc.) next to any skin surface where you do not have sensation. I have seen some horrible burns and skin damage in those cases. Better to wear down booties or good thick wool socks and be safe.

(KLD)

I have, they didn't really do much, I felt a lot more heat from those air activated single use packs than my battery heated socks. Like KLD said though no heated item is safe to be used where you don't have sensation. My use was winter equestrian activities. Riding and working in a barn year round, including long days of teaching riding lessons.

If you have sensation, I would recommend either the single use toe packs or investing in a quality pair of heated insoles.

Battery operated soxs have no thermostat and will burn your feet. There are some inserts for ski boots that can be dialed down that could work better.

I agree. Bad idea if you have no temperature sensation. I had a 2nd degree burn from a heat pack once and have no desire to do that again.

If you need warmth, get dressed after your body is already warm (after shower, after being under covers, etc) and use layers to [help] hold in the heat. A close-fitting base layer (Under Armour Cold Gear, Patagonia Capeline, or something along those lines) is a good idea.

Socks: same thing. Use a liner under regular socks.

Or just deal with getting cold and plan to warm up in the shower later.