Thread: Peripheral Nerve Regeneration

Peripheral Nerve Regeneration

I know there is a lot of research targeting regeneration of spinal cord. What about those that suffered peripheral nerve injury? Is there anything that restores function after lower injuries?

What do you mean with ´´lower injurys´´? There is no periphal nerve damage when you talk about lumbar injurys so I think your question is incorrect.

KK11, many with CES (cauda equina syndrome) have lumbar fractures. I assume this is what the OP is referring to. The cauda equina, being made up of spinal roots, is technically peripheral nerve tissue, not central nervous system.

(KLD)

Is it not the case that anything below L2 is a cauda equina injury and the cauda equina is technically part of the peripheral nervous system?

There is peripheral nerve damage in most cases of spinal injury, even if cervical vertebrae is injured because it is likely to hit peripheral nerve exiting inferior vertebral notch. I was referring to cauda equina like KLD mentioned. Those are supposed to be easier to regenerate and I've heard of some kind of research but cant find it so I'm asking.

You are right but isnt the cauda equina no typical peripheral nerve tissue?! Therefore I would say it wont belong to the typical PNS which we see in periphal parts of the body.

Wesmaister, There have been many advances in peripheral nerve regeneration research. In my laboratory, we are starting research on peripheral nerve and particularly cauda equina repair, so I have been paying a lot of attention to the literature.

Cauda equina injury differs from peripheral nerve injuries in two important respects. First, source of neurons that provide sensory axons is the dorsal root sensory ganglia (DRG). The DRG neurons send out one axon each, which bifurcates into two branches, one of which goes into the peripheral nerve and the other of which goes into the spinal cord. When the injury is to the central branch, sensory recovery does not occur because the axons must grow into the spinal cord. They don't do this readily or at all. Second, injury to the cauda equina are often close to the motor neuron and injuries to the spinal root close to the spinal cord may damage the motoneurons.

Geoffrey Raisman recently reported on a clinical trial with Carlstedt, where they transplanted olfactory ensheathing glia at the entry point of dorsal roots, to enhance regenerating axons entry into the spinal cord. There is CSPG at the dorsal root entry zone and so a role of chondroitinase is a likely candidate therapy. Damian Kuffler has reported long distane axonal regrowth in collagen conduits filled with plasma fibrin. We are very interested in applying a number of therapies that stimulate axonal growth in the spinal cord to peripheral nerves.

Wise.