Thread: NY Times article "Tips on how to avoid pitfalls in the employment of household help."

NY Times article "Tips on how to avoid pitfalls in the employment of household help."

Interesting article about the risks of actually being sued by somebody you have employed to work for you in your home, Discusses best practices including "slow hire, fast fire" and warns about too much "benevolence and informality." Although the emphasis of the article is about hiring nannies, the advice easily applies to caregivers too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/12/yo...?smid=pl-share

That is one reason it is good to hire licensed and bonded caregivers, or at least run a background check. Having folks work "off the books" can have some downsides.

I faced this once, but I had the work agreement stating either side could terminate with six weeks notice. I sent it to the attorney and he dropped it. I think they were looking to intimidate me into a quick settlement. I also reported him to the local police who said they would put a "watch" out in case the same lawyer tried this again in my area. Actually, I think they told me this just to placate me.