Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spasms Relief

Spasms Relief

What is the best relief for spasms. I take baclofen 10mg 2x a day and a 10mg of diazepam if they are really bad I find stretching really helps but I don't have anyone to stretch properly at night. Anyone have any good suggestions ( drugs, excersse equipment etc) they keep me up at night!

Spasms or spasticity?? There is some difference. Medications help more with spasticity than with spasms.

Other things to do to help with spasticity:

1. Standing at least an hour daily (standing frame or glider).
    2. Laying on your stomach (prone) an hour or more daily.
    3. Range of motion exercises at least once daily.

You are on a relatively low dose of baclofen...many take 80 mg. or even more daily. Be careful with the Valium. It can cause a serious physical dependence, and makes depression worse. Many take an extra dose at bedtime so sleep is not so interrupted.

Tizanadine is another drug often used for spasticity, but we generally wait to try this until we have maxed out on baclofen. Clonidine can sometimes be added to either of these two drugs to "potentiate" (increase) their effectiveness.

Also, be sure that conditions that can worsen spasticity (constipation, UTI, pressure ulcers, etc.) are properly managed and prevented.

(KLD)

Hey James I take 50mg of baclofen at midnight and six a.m. When I was first hurt I took 50mg four times a day. I also take one or two Valium. Have been doing this almost 20 years. Don't worry about " physical dependence" that's just the way it is. You have to be able to rest. I'm not a big drug user either but damn you gotta do what you gotta do! I get stretched every a.m. And lay prone about twenty min once a day. Uti make my spasms worse. Did you end up with stones? I think about you everyday and remember when I was first hurt and young like you. I hope you're okay. Take care man.

I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.

I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.

Hi KLD, can you explain why Tizanadine is the drug of second choice? Also, can AD cause severe upper torso spasms?

this is SCI-Nurse pbr....Tizandine is a medication specifically for spasms like baclofen. Baclofen is always first drug of choice for spasticity, then tizanidine. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine in the same family as Valium (diazepam) and is good for spasms and is better for chronic use.

AD symptoms are different for everyone, some people develop sweating above the level of injury, headache, and yes spasms above the level of injury probably could also occur.

pbr

What kind of spasms? Are you having the repetitive leg kicking or knees to chest all over kind? Have someone check to see if your feet feel cold after you've been in bed for 30 minutes to an hour.

I have the leg kicking, knees to chests, really intense diaphragm abdominal spasm that makes it hard to breathe, back spasms that pull me into the bed, and what I call seizures spasms it's like I'm having a seizure in my leg

Yeah I tried to avoid Valium as much as possible, I think it's spasticity, and I will try some of these techniques thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwild
    Hey James I take 50mg of baclofen at midnight and six a.m. When I was first hurt I took 50mg four times a day. I also take one or two Valium. Have been doing this almost 20 years. Don't worry about " physical dependence" that's just the way it is. You have to be able to rest. I'm not a big drug user either but damn you gotta do what you gotta do! I get stretched every a.m. And lay prone about twenty min once a day. Uti make my spasms worse. Did you end up with stones? I think about you everyday and remember when I was first hurt and young like you. I hope you're okay. Take care man. I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.
    I know you do but I have heard that baclofen can hinder your recovery from SCI.