Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are high end wheels worth it?

They're supposed to be stiff, so they're not like spinergy wheels and probably more similar to the katanas so keep that in mind. I'd really prefer spinergy LX myself because I wanted to try that flex and cushioning that people have talked about, but since I'm on medicaid we're going with katanas for my new wheels.

The sun fusion 16's are recommended for (and I think this is part of why they were developed) ADI disc brakes, due to the issues some people experienced from the flex in spinergy wheels. So thats why I'm thinking they would be closer to Katana's in ride.

I've currently got stock wire wheels--would higher end ones like katanas or Fusion 16's be stiffer than these? I've never used anything but the current stock wheels (or mags) so I have little reference for stiffer vs more flexy.

LXs have some flex to them, but it's a stretch to say that they offer cushioning.

Tire choice will affect "cushioning" more than the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott-
    LXs have some flex to them, but it's a stretch to say that they offer cushioning.

Tire choice will affect "cushioning" more than the wheel.
    They do give a softer ride, it's not only the tire.

The Katanas probably are the best wheel you can get at the lowest price, better than Fusion, specially the anodized, any wheel es going to give you an easier push, some as simply like the quality of the pushrim,s anodized will could give you advantage pushing the wheel. For give you en example, i have probably the best wheelchair wheel, the spinergy slx 24 spokes, but the ride is easier with the Katanas because the pushrims which they came give more grip, if you are looking for an easier push, forget the wheel, things like tires and pushrims will make the differences, katanas will be the best choice without spending a lot of money

Quote Originally Posted by grommet
    I had a set of Round Betty Enzo wheels and they gave a hard hide - no cushioning like with the Spinergy LX. Also they were very noisy, squeaks, pops, pings and lots of creaking. I liked the look of them and the wide spacing between the spokes which gave me good access but did not like the wheels overall. Also, I don't know if he still mounts the pushrim this way, but the mounting tabs were angled instead of straight out and hurt my fingers. I had to change my pushing technique.

Love my Spinergy LX wheels. Light, cushioned ride and totally quiet. I can't think of another wheel I would want to go with. Totally worth it and then some.
    The Enzo wheel is different wheel design. Both the Dino's and Katana's use a standard 6-Tab Pushrim.

I got some spox 25 inch on ebay! $150 with shipping, can't wait till they come. I'm wheeling in the manual normally again now. Took the bus and went to the store with it this evening, long wheel to and from dorm and stops. I'm hoping the spox will give a better ride, less energy to propel.

Law of diminishing return decreases as the price increases. Tires will make a bigger difference. Just my opinion.

I meant increase along with price. My bad. I'm really disliking this new site.