Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are high end wheels worth it?

Are high end wheels worth it?

I've ordered the forks I've been needing, and given my arm is finally healing....I strained something in my wrist in a fall a month ago, dr thought it was broken but nothing showed up; I was splinted for 3 wks; have been in a powerchair since mid-September, and I am nearly healed, I am thinking of the things I can do to make it easier to push my manual (It's a Zra one, very light as far as that goes...). I've already pretty much dialed in as far as it will go; lowered RSH, but my ands don't quite reach as far as they're supposed to in terms of hitting middle of the axle when extended. So I'm thinking of upgrading wheels, getting a larger wheel (I run 24 inch spinergy wire wheels) but don't want to spend too much, either. Do the higher end wheels really translate to better performance, and easier push? I have the money for the now, finally, but I wanted to get input on the best bang for buck.

For me, and forty years of pushin', there is a major difference in efficiency and weight. I've tried many of the light weight wheels but seem to always go back to Spnergy. I'm not a fan of the company, but use the LX's exclusively now. I have the 559's with RightRun Swalbes on. For me, a solid tire takes most of the efficiency away due to the weight.

I'm 6'2" with a rsh of 16.5", I think. If you're wheels are too tall, they'll hinder the ergonomic performance of your shoulders. I do love my 559's and will never go back to a 540(24")

Another bonus with a Spinergy wheel is less spokes, and wider spokes. Helps when taking the wheel off, less finger snagging.

Best bang for the buck are Round Betty Katanas @ $249/set, hands down.

Katanas are lighter than LXs and Dinos.

Oh, wow! Katanas sound pretty cool then! How is their ride? Nice and stiff, efficient?

I have a set, as well as a set of Dinos. They're both nice and stiff; neither seem to flex or have any slop. Admittedly Dinos have a bit more of a cool factor due to the oversized aluminum spokes, while Katanas use traditional steel spokes. I don't notice any difference in ride between the two.

I had a set of Round Betty Enzo wheels and they gave a hard hide - no cushioning like with the Spinergy LX. Also they were very noisy, squeaks, pops, pings and lots of creaking. I liked the look of them and the wide spacing between the spokes which gave me good access but did not like the wheels overall. Also, I don't know if he still mounts the pushrim this way, but the mounting tabs were angled instead of straight out and hurt my fingers. I had to change my pushing technique.

Love my Spinergy LX wheels. Light, cushioned ride and totally quiet. I can't think of another wheel I would want to go with. Totally worth it and then some.

I was looking at Sportaid--saw the Sun Fusion 16's.... they look interesting, and with the upcharges for handrims and tires for the Katanas, they're actually cheaper. Experience with Fusion 16's?

Is there any spoke tightening that needs to be done on the LX’s or Dino’s? If so how often?

Quote Originally Posted by voxina
    I was looking at Sportaid--saw the Sun Fusion 16's.... they look interesting, and with the upcharges for handrims and tires for the Katanas, they're actually cheaper. Experience with Fusion 16's?
    I'm very pleased with mine. Good wheel at a good price.