Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glial Scarring

An abscess.Dont know if I was given methylprednisolone.C6 Asia C.Arms ok,hands functional and movement in both legs that seems to be getting a little more all the time.

Methylprednisolone would be contraindicated in a case of spinal canal abscess. It is used almost exclusively for traumatic SCI, and has been falling out of use in practice (if not completely abandoned) in most major trauma centers in the USA. One of its side effects is to suppress your body's immune system. It is also not recommended in traumatic injuries if there is a penetrating injury to the cord (ie, gun shot wound or stab) due to this.

If caught early, and decompression and drainage of the abscess is done quickly, SCI due to abscess can result in significant return over time.

(KLD)

Bedside MANNER (presentation and behavior), not manor (a house or building).

(KLD)

Of course. Although sometimes the MANOR in which they see patients (i.e., Mayo, UofI) influences the MANNER in which they see patients.

It was caught early.According to my neurosurgeon,if its treated within 24 hours then he thinks that's the maximum time frame and mine was less half of that.MRI said there was no infection left.No,I think my problems occurred from the spinal infarction which happened at some point

I would continue with physical therapy and ask for family or a friend to be shown what you need to be doing if you are being discharged. You will need your core muscles to walk or stand so learning to maintain a hands and knees position is important. If you don't have both triceps try to get to a kneeling position with help. Stretch your inner legs, especially groin area, out first. You need to continue using and strengthening the muscles you have while waiting to see what else returns. How is your current sensation for hot versus cold and pain versus light touch?

I found it strange listening to researchers in Boston who all use methylprednisolone as a comparison in animals versus experiences recently on humans here. It is still used for MS exacerbations in many hospitals and whenever TM is suspected in most. It never was tested in penetrating injuries from what I've read and yes I would Imagine abcesses fall under that when drained/removed. But unless a surgeon has a new trick up his sleeve he should look at short term chances of infection versus long term breathing by one self or transferring with 2 good triceps or maybe walking for most of us.

If your abscess was pressing on the anterior (front) of your cord, it is possible that it pinched closed the anterior spinal artery, which sits on the surface of the front of the cord. Anterior cord syndrome results in loss of movement, and pain and temperature sensation below the level of the injury, but with some sparing of position and pressure sensibility. Is the the case for you, Paul?

(KLD)

My sensation is pretty much normal both above and below injury level.Can tell thie difference between hot and cold and pain and light touch.Can move my legs quite well and can push pretty hard when someone is applying resistance .Moved my toes on right foot yesterday for first time!Does any of this sound like anterior cord syndrome?

:) No, that does not sound like anterior cord syndrome. Anterior cord syndrome means you lose the ability to tell the difference between hot and cold and pin prick versus light touch. You would still maintain proprio-sensation (where you body is in space like if you close your eyes you know if someone moves a foot up or down), light touch and vibratory sense when touched by a tuning fork. Do you have spacticity that interfers with voluntary movement?