Thread: Describing incontinence management

Describing incontinence management

Has anyone figured out how to describe incontinence management so it seems like an attractive job? I am kidding but I am struggling to find a replacement PCA for one that I lost. I have turned up 3 duds so far. I do not have much hair left to pull out. I need hope. Someone, pleeze..................

[SIZE=14px]Ami aka "Zillazangel" sent me a copy of her generic caregiver agreement a few years ago. Her description is:
    [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=14px]Urinary and bowel care (empty and change catheters, wash out catheter bags, digital stimulation to evacuate bowels)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px][SIZE=14px]The thing is, a person you want to hire would have experience in this area. Otherwise, I don't think you would want to hire them. So, not sure there is a way to say this delicately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Good Luck in your search.

All the best,
    GJ
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl
    [SIZE=14px]Ami aka "Zillazangel" sent me a copy of her generic caregiver agreement a few years ago. Her description is:
    [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=14px]Urinary and bowel care (empty and change catheters, wash out catheter bags, digital stimulation to evacuate bowels)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px][SIZE=14px]The thing is, a person you want to hire would have experience in this area. Otherwise, I don't think you would want to hire them. So, not sure there is a way to say this delicately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Good Luck in your search.

All the best,
    GJ
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]
    Actually, experience is not a requirement. Me, my, wife and another part time PCA can train a novice. I had one we trained who had only worked as a flower arranger. She did have some experience caring for her mother who died from colon cancer. She did very well. This is not rocket science stuff. Sometimes people who have set ways of doing things are more of a problem when it comes to understanding the peculiarities of SCIs. I just got an e-mail from a student nurse who might be interested. I would love for that to work out. She is just starting so she would be around for a couple of years.

I agree. Incontinence care really doesn't describe what you need; which is very different than the incontinence care that an elderly person with dementia would need, for example. Be more specific. My mother's ads used to say "Assist with personal care including suppository insertion, after bowel movement cleaning, intermittent catheterization, and changing of incontinence pads as needed."

(KLD)