Thread: Looking for a good, free place to put pca ads

Looking for a good, free place to put pca ads

Title says it all. I used to use Craigslist, but they now charge $25 per ad. And before I would often have to submit my ad 2 or 3 times before I found someone I liked. So just wondering if anyone has used anything else to look for PCAs. Thanks.

We used Craig's List. Although you do have to pay the small fee in most markets, that allows you to leave your ad up for a month; and we generally had 15-20 applicants to screen and consider for interviews after the first 24 hours, so never left it up that long.

(KLD)

I'm surprised to know that Craigslist now charges for ads for aides..I placed an ad there 3 weeks ago and it was free..hers some tips ive used..i start by asking for their name and email address in response..I then use that info to search Facebook and myspace to see if they have either of those to see if that's someone I'd even want in my home..you won't believe some of the stuff people put out there for the world to see..I also do a phone interview and meet the person,if it sounds good,in a public place ,,library or fast food joint,,for a more in depth interview..I hate searching for a new aide,too time consuming and I'm picky..I usually find good,reliable and trustworthy aides this way..also,if you have a local college nearby with a nursing program,you could call them or maybe post an ad on their bulletin board..also,word of mouth is good if you know an aide or nurse who may know someone looking to pick up extra hours. Or if you know someone who works at a home care agency,you could contact them,they may know an aide thats looking for extra hours..one last place you might want to consider,is your nearest Independent Living Center..they are not for profit agencies and in every state..they may know someone or you could put an ad in their newsletter..good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21
    Title says it all. I used to use Craigslist, but they now charge $25 per ad. And before I would often have to submit my ad 2 or 3 times before I found someone I liked. So just wondering if anyone has used anything else to look for PCAs. Thanks.
    Why don't you post it in the Personal forum http://sci.rutgers.edu/vb5/forum/exc...rums/personals here? Quite a few caregivers come to this site.

I used a community college's electronic bulletin board before that is used for all kinds of jobs. If you get a nursing student responding be prepared for a quick quit if their main instructor finds out. I had one where the head of the nursing program considered being a PCA as practicing medicine without a license. But most colleges have these free job boards.

I used a community college's electronic bulletin board before that is used for all kinds of jobs. If you get a nursing student responding be prepared for a quick quit if their main instructor finds out. I had one where the head of the nursing program considered being a PCA as practicing medicine without a license. But most colleges have these free job boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young

Why don't you post it in the Personal forum http://sci.rutgers.edu/vb5/forum/exc...rums/personals here? Quite a few caregivers come to this site.
    That is the "personals" section right? Isn't that essentially the dating forum? And I don't think that caregivers come here seeking jobs. And what are the odds that a caregiver in his state, city and area would happen upon this site? Sorry to be Oscar the grouch, just a realist. Caregivers come here who are "attached" to current SCIs in my 8 years of experience with this website.

I agree with zillazangel. In fact, I advised a person just yesterday that the Personal forum is not the place to look for PCA jobs or to find PCAs. You can use the Equipment & Services forum, but I have never seen anyone actually get a PCA (or a job) that way. Suck up the Craig's List fee (is it not that much for the results you get in my experience) or try a site such as this one: http://www.care.com/

Actually, I have never seen the problem that Sue mentions above in our area...in fact we have found nursing school instructors more than happy to announce or help us post ads for PCAs. Nurses never practice medicine...even after finishing school and passing their licensing exam. They practice NURSING, and I know many nurses who worked their way through nursing school working as PCAs, with the full knowledge of their school and instructors. Don't forget looking for other students too. PT, OT students and even students from non-health related disciplines are often interested in working as part-time PCAs.

(KLD)