Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin and Lyrica are a Death Sentence

I took lyrica for years for neuro pain, I really liked it. Neurontin failed to do anything for me. As far as I know I haven't had any negative consequences... But even if I had, I agree that its not so simple. You can't be functional if you've lost too much of your brain, but you also can't be functional if you can't use your brain or body due to severe pain. Its not black or white and you have to figure out what works for you. I've been in pain treatment for 15 years now and especially when it came to starting narcotics I ran into a lot of issues with Drs concerned about using specific meds due to a possibility of issues in the future. One that was given to me frequently was maxing out all of the drugs while I'm still young. Well guess what, I'd rather risk that and be FUNCTIONAL while "still young"! I'll worry about the state of meds available that work for me in 10 years, in 10 years. Right now I want to be able to live my life to the fullest possible. Especially in medicine you never know what might be available in 10 years.

I noticed that hydrocodone affected my memory way more than the lyrica did. I am on cymbalta for pain also and after I started that I noticed that I was in a better mood and now after taking the lyrica I’m back to the way it was. When I took two 75 milligrams twice a day I was still in a good mood but my insurance wouldn’t keep it that way so I had to go to a 150 milligram twice a day and that’s when it counteracted the cymbalta.

So there's that added factor. Not only do we all react differently to drugs, but our reactions also depend on what other drugs we use.

Start chain smoking and drinking lots of alcohol. You can do it without fear, because it is your legal right to use legal drugs! I call it passive aggressive suicide.

I have been taking Gabapentin for about 2 1/2 years now, and I definitely do believe that I am not nearly as smart as I used to be, but I attributed that to my total lack of using my brain anymore. Watching Television and playing video games does not require any mental stimulation or effort, so I just assumed that my cognitive ability was declining due to lack of use. Perhaps it is also related to the Medication as well.

Smoking and alcohol don't help the pain so what am i missing here

Ket

there is no question in my mind that high levels of chrinic intracible pain affect intelligence, cripes i haven't had a decent sleep more than 2 consecutive hours, in over a decade. some of our pain is extremely "aggressive" also interfering in cognitive processes. we're multi screwed.

ket

I've been on Lyrica for nine months 300mg a day and although there are a lot of days I still wish I'd just not have woken up with out it I don't think I would still be here. I also take oxycodone 7.5 once or twice a day, I don't know if that's a lot or not. Lord I pray they find something to help Everyone suffering from nerve pain!

What dose of Lyrica is everyone else on?

I'm with Arndog and Lin, I've been taking Lyrica 100mg twice daily for over a year. Doe's it help me think, not so much. Does it help me see better, nope. Doe's it help my libido, not at all.
    Doe's it knock out 95% of the crazy shocks I get YES. I ran out a week ago, I felt like crap. So I guess I'm a drug addict now. Not only that I'm destroying my brain, great. I'm sorry but I have to live here and now, without the Lyrica you may as well put me in a home. It makes that big of difference in my life. I'll deal with the consequnces 10 yrs. down the rode if I get there.

When you say that increasing the lyrica to 150 mg twice a day counteracted the Cymbalta what exactly do you mean? Did your pain get worse, did your mood change? How long have you been taking Lyrica and Cymbalta?