Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin and Lyrica are a Death Sentence

I think a good question to figure out, is why some people can take lyrica like candy, and others can't take it at all. What is the acceptable side affect profile on any given drug. I was on a drug for my paralyze stomach, and when I looked up the studies done on the drug, 15 present could not take it at all and another 15 percent had to quite taking it after a few days, but this was considered acceptable. Fortunately there is a drug that does the same thing without the side affects but is not USDA approved in the USA. I wonder what percent of people who tried Lyrica had unacceptable side affects?
    I know I sure wish I could tolerate the stuff, this pain is the pits.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I've been taking gabapentin [2700 mg/day] for 8 yrs. Not only am I still here but I can honestly "blame" the fact that I am on the gaba.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog
    Has anyone purdhased it over the internet from Canada or India and felt they got the right product and it worked? I have been reluctant to do this with this med.[/I]
    I think you are smart to be nervous about it.

I took it for four days and had several "blackouts" where I kept functioning and others had no clue I was "gone". I didn't realize it either. Around he 4th day I started speaking gibberish. Luckily, Bill knew it was the only thing I'd changed so, he took it away. It took me about a week to come around to 'normal'. The first few days after quiting, I'd "wake up" doing something weird. Once, I discovered myself just pulling my clothes out of a dresser drawer and piling them on the bed.

Been on 'em for 10 years, and I'm still the smartest person I know:)

Don't get out much ah.

In my practice I have seen that everyone responds differently to gabapentin and to lyrica. In the chronic and neuropathic pain management field there are not a lot of choices for me or you.

Next down the list are anti-depressants, opiates, psycho-therapy, meditation, education, botox, local injections, spinal injections, nerve stimulators, indwelling spinal pumps, surgery....that is the list and the end of the line after trying the anti-seizure type medications that hopefully target the pain receptors (and there are many). Chronic pain is so difficult to treat and for people to live with.

pbr

Arndog, I'm not on it but my wife WAS.
    flying, you must be talking about Reglan and getting Tardive Dyskinesia. My wife was on high doses and stopped taking it. The doctors always say something like if the risk of the drug out weighs the condition you are in. it's better to take it. Well I say BS, they screwed up my wife life enough.

What did you think about the study? I certainly worry about losing my mind, since this has happened to my mom (dementia) and is happening to my dad due to let stage Parkinson's.

I guess the issue for me is to figure out whether it is worth the effort to move down that line of treatments.

I have read information similar to the study you posted but I also have people on the medication who have no side effects to the medication. I don't force any of my patients to stay on a medication if they have adverse side effects that alter thought processes.

I wish that there were more exact ways to treat chronic neuropathic pain. It is a lot of trial and error which is extremely frustrating to the person experiencing it and to us as providers. It wears you down and effects your psyche and coping skills.

pbr