Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade debacle

I am treasurer of NJAGC, forum
    We very recently also updated to VB5 and our site is almost unusable much of the time in addition to losing many former styles and functionality. Our traffic is slowed to a dribble.
    vBulletin sent us this: ..............Go Figure!!! Can't copy and paste!!! Well, it was a message that they were having problems with v5 and that we should seriously consider going back to 4.2.1, however we would loose all changes since going to v5 including new posts and users!! Pretty fucked up advice from a provider.
    I hope somebody can resolve these train wrecks of two important members of my community and soon!!
    Phil

unable to revisit my "reason for editing" I complete my thought here: it's wonderful to be able to write this text today, but our forum is still basically an empty shell of it's former self and it is not viable as it is now!!

2nd edit: go figure! It deleted my "reason for editing" posted prior to above edit/post

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212

Tom, Was THIS upgrade the absolutely ONLY solution to the spam infestation? Were there no other alternatives available, such as captcha or moderator approval to become registered and perhaps a host of others I'm not aware of?
    The previous version of vbulletin CC used was ancient and in my opinion pretty much impossible to modify to prevent spammers from using scripts to attack. There was also other issues (ever get a 500 error accessing the site?). As to the answer to your question, no this upgrade was not the only answer, in software there is never only one answer. There were different ways to move forward, but staying where we were was not an option (in my opinion).

I think people need to chill. I have played around with VB, it is very customizable and given time Jim, Steven and Wise can make the new site have a similar UX to the old one, only with some additional bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst
    I think people need to chill. I have played around with VB, it is very customizable and given time Jim, Steven and Wise can make the new site have a similar UX to the old one, only with some additional bells and whistles.
    UX is one thing, but the loss of links to attachments in the Equipment forum renders it pretty useless right now. While a certain things there will recover going forward, there is some very important information that is currently not available because the images that go with the posts are not accessible. The CareCure CAD Repository is truly unique and the concept of Occupied Frame Length (OFL) is extremely helpful when spec'ing out a new chair.

While I am responsible for a great deal of that content, I have found that I also use it for reference in the course of my job. Anyone who is looking to get a new chair and discovers the Equipment forum is currently unable to get most of the information that was there due to the loss of images. Until that functionality gets restored, I don't see myself being able to chill. I doubt that those people who are looking to spec out their own chair or have an upcoming appointment in a seating clinic are going to chill either.

It would be nice if there were a parallel, read-only Care Cure "Classic" website on a server with all of the archived links and attachments, so that there would at least be a useable search engine.

Then don't chill. You have as much input into this whole process as I have.

I know. So just chill!

It would be nice if there was a parallel read-only Care Cure "Classic" website on a server with all of the archived links and attachments, so that there would at least be a useable search engine.
    That would allow me to chill.

That would calm me down as well. While I have a lot of issues with the access of the new site, and rarely spend much time here (and what time I do spend hurts my eyes and makes my head hurt), the biggest issue for me is the loss of all that information. I frequently cite posts here to people, including to my seating guy. I use the archives to help me with projects, such as the one I'm currently doing but none of my saved links are working. If all of that information was accessible still it would definitely ease the process of the changes and updates.

"I was considering returning to the previous system if this latest fix did not work. Wise."

An expression having to do with the baby and the bathwater comes to mind. CC is in desperate need of a Ctrl + Alt + Del fix. The suggestion to add a captcha screen or have new members wait for moderator approval before being awarded posting privileges makes INFINITE logic in retrospect. If the clock can be turned back, I would highly recommend it.

As is, it's as if CC has suffered its own SCI. The brain doesn't talk to the rest of the body, which is atrophying more by the day. Whereas I used to visit countless times a day, now it's, "Oh yeah, I remember that place." If CC is something that truly matters (and I believe it did), then that something has been grievously, hopefully not irreparably, damaged. CC is rapidly losing active membership and relevancy along with it. Tweaking around the edges isn't going to restore this; something vital has been sacrificed.

Please hit the rewind button.
    Please be patient. We only have one person (Steven Edwards) fixing the site and he is doing so systematically. We have made significant progress in the past few days. vBulletin came up with a new version to fix some of the posting problems. People can post and upload attachments. The anti-spammer features of the new version are working well. People should not expect everything to work perfectly for a while. If you find some problem, please post it here so that it can be put on the fix list. I can't promise that all the cosmetic changes will be put in but we are paying close attention to requests.

Wise.