Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade debacle

Upgrade debacle

"I was considering returning to the previous system if this latest fix did not work. Wise."

An expression having to do with the baby and the bathwater comes to mind. CC is in desperate need of a Ctrl + Alt + Del fix. The suggestion to add a captcha screen or have new members wait for moderator approval before being awarded posting privileges makes INFINITE logic in retrospect. If the clock can be turned back, I would highly recommend it.

As is, it's as if CC has suffered its own SCI. The brain doesn't talk to the rest of the body, which is atrophying more by the day. Whereas I used to visit countless times a day, now it's, "Oh yeah, I remember that place." If CC is something that truly matters (and I believe it did), then that something has been grievously, hopefully not irreparably, damaged. CC is rapidly losing active membership and relevancy along with it. Tweaking around the edges isn't going to restore this; something vital has been sacrificed.

Please hit the rewind button.

What would the level of injury be Stephen?

Blog Entries
    From my lurking I had noticed participation waning for many months before the new vBulletin version. I sure missed Foolish after he got mod-mobbed and never came back. Lots of old school members had moved on, people I remember following from the sidelines for years. Once search can again pull up the history and old attachments are reconnected to their threads, I don't see any reason to give up on evolving this site into this decade, and a supported version of vBulletin. Until those fixes are for certain impossible, I see no good reason to turn back the clock to 2001. If the clock is rolled back, I seriously hope those pushing for it step up to help with the moderation. Otherwise this is tantamount to insisting other people continue to sacrifice their time and energy to serve you. I think with search fixed, after a short while, this time will be recognized as just a bump in the road toward a site capable of serving people at least as well as before, maybe better, and serving the volunteers graciously giving of themselves to make it happen, also.

Adjustment to change takes time. Are the problems that have been thwarted outweigh new issues? I don't know.

Adjustment to change takes time. Are the problems that have been thwarted outweigh new issues? I don't know. Wait Foolish left? Oh ish. People are assholes. Yes, I include myself.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if he "left", I don't know the man, but he hasn't posted since some time in July, iirc, a day or so after he was treated unbelievably poor by a mod and admin over the suicide controversy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212
    "I was considering returning to the previous system if this latest fix did not work. Wise."

An expression having to do with the baby and the bathwater comes to mind. CC is in desperate need of a Ctrl + Alt + Del fix. The suggestion to add a captcha screen or have new members wait for moderator approval before being awarded posting privileges makes INFINITE logic in retrospect. If the clock can be turned back, I would highly recommend it.

As is, it's as if CC has suffered its own SCI. The brain doesn't talk to the rest of the body, which is atrophying more by the day. Whereas I used to visit countless times a day, now it's, "Oh yeah, I remember that place." If CC is something that truly matters (and I believe it did), then that something has been grievously, hopefully not irreparably, damaged. CC is rapidly losing active membership and relevancy along with it. Tweaking around the edges isn't going to restore this; something vital has been sacrificed.

Please hit the rewind button.
    You want the rewind button hit, then you can take the often times a couple of hours a day I was spending moving spam and my contributions were paltry compared to some of the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst

You want the rewind button hit, then you can take the often times a couple of hours a day I was spending moving spam and my contributions were paltry compared to some of the mods.
    Tom, Was THIS upgrade the absolutely ONLY solution to the spam infestation? Were there no other alternatives available, such as captcha or moderator approval to become registered and perhaps a host of others I'm not aware of?

Lemme tell you about my attempts to use this site this morning. I did manage to post twice in the Equipment forum, then noticed another 'issue' while doing this (consistant browser crash by hitting quote button...using IE8, come on now). So I went to this forum to add that issue to the list of priority fixes thread (as this seems rather significant when a forum can crash what might be one of the most used browsers doing something as simple as quoting someone). Only trouble was, some picture file the forum was trying to download while entering that 'priority fixes' thread totally jammed up my browser again making it pretty much totally useless. Close window...f it.

Now I gotta wonder how this forum is being seen by others after todays debacle trying to access it from work. If basic functions of a forum cannot be had with this platform, accessed by the most popular browsers...might be time to rethink using that software. And I'm pretty sure it's the forum, as that computer works fine elsewhere, uses IE8 (real sorted out), and on a standardized computer used by a Fortune 10 company. Cant pin the blame on user issues I'd think