Thread: Removing Q7 caster forks, and caster bearings?

Removing Q7 caster forks, and caster bearings?

So the timing of the archives not being available is a huge pain since I'm working on changing things up with my chair. Last time I removed the caster forks to redo them my roommate did it for me and he's no longer my roommate. I'm not sure how to do it, before I tried to do it myself and gave up and he ended up doing it while I was sleeping so I didn't even get to watch. I've had my boyfriend help me looking at the exploded diagrams but he's not sure either. He lives really far away and is going to help with putting them back on and squaring them, but I really need to get the first part done on my own or I'd have my chair unusable for a while.

I'd also like to remove the bearings from a set of frog leg aluminum hub soft rolls without damaging them. I'm going to be painting the plain aluminum hubs. I'm worried if I just try to tape off the bearings they may get paint inside ruining them, but I'm also worried that by removing them I'll ruin them! I've read the multitude of bearing advice threads in the past, but of course now I can't access them. I know in addition to the threads though there were links to good instructions offsite, but I wasn't able to find those same ones when googling myself. I cannot afford to replace the bearings if I ruin them, plus from who I got the casters from I believe they're really good quality bearings so I don't want to go destroying them!! So all help is much appreciated!

I don't know what Q7 forks look like, so no help there, but leave your bearing intact for painting. You won't hurt sealed bearings just clean the metal surfaces off good with alcohol or something so that masking tape will stick and go ahead and paint. OTOH, bearings pop out by being pushed from their backside. I've found casters much easier than rear wheels, so you might want to see if you can easily pop them out.

Why are you redoing the caster forks? For painting: take some Vaseline or KY and coat the bearing where you don't want paint. You won't hurt the bearing if you do paint it, as long as you don't dip it in he stuff.

Blog Entries
    Page 34 of attached link. Take off casters. Remove parts 12 and 13. May have to loosen part 14, depending, but that will be made plain as you proceed. Part 13 is a circlip. Needs a special tool. Available at any hardware store. Circlip pliers.

No special tools were needed to remove the forks the first time. I also can't afford any special tools, my boyfriend bought the paint and sandpaper for me. The link only took me to a generic page, I assume you were linking something specific but it didn't send that way.

BFD: Originally I removed and painted the caster forks and my spokes purple, and I have a blue frame (its kind of iridescent with purple highlights in the sun). After over a year and a half I'd really have to redo the purple anyhow if I wanted to stay with the same color. Unfortunately those who load my chair for me are frequently quite hard on it, and so if you looked close (which I do) it was looking pretty bad. But I got a pair of frog leg aluminum hub soft roll casters from a forum member here for free and just pay the shipping. (THANKS AGAIN!!!!) Downside is they're yellow tire rubber which doesn't go with the purple (imo). I get bored anyhow and had already been planning on changing the color and considering green, like a lime green, which would also work with the yellow casters. I wasn't completely sure though. I kept debating just making the caster forks black again and doing the green on the spokes.... When I was at the store with my boyfriend I started asking his opinion, green for both, black for one green for the other... I didn't want to make him buy 2 cans of paint though. And at some point (been in the works since June...) I'm supposed to be getting new (25s) wheels, katanas, so their spokes are black. So I decided to just go with black for both but wanted something a little more interesting. Since the blue paint is iridescent, I thought an iridescent or wet look black would go nice. So finally I settled on that and we bought the paint. In the store, I tested out the sandpaper by seeing how well it stripped the purple paint off the spokes and forks so if I don't do the project soon I'll be leaving those unpainted spots which irks me and my obsessive compulsive tendencies! SO, here's your 20 cent answer to your 2 cent question :)

I'll be doing the caster forks, the plain aluminum hubs on the FLSRs, and the spokes. Possibly the rims/nipples as well just so I have less to tape off on the wheels. The rims are black now anyway.

Here's the paint btw: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-252.../dp/B005H5PHXS
    My chair (this was when the purple was really freshly done) http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...r/100_0226.jpg

Ok, so 2 opinions so far to leave the bearings in... Hows this. I took a piece of masking tape and put it over the bearing. Then used my thumbnail to press along the line between the bearing and the hub. Then "cut" along that line so theres a sort of perfect circle of masking tape over the bearing. Think that will be good enough to protect it?

My roommate had an allen wrench set, so I'm going to try removing the caster forks again today I hope.

Blog Entries
    You've got it, just take out Part 14, accessed under the caster. The fork will fall off, along with the bottom spline from the squareness adjuster. I was presuming an entire fork assembly tear down.

Blog Entries
    FYI, the circlip/snap ring pliers are required to remove both the internal fork bearings, if that's on the agenda pre painting.

I think yes I do need to remove the internal fork bearings if they're where I think they are. I don't think they could be protected correctly. When painting the forks last time it was just the forks.

Well having more issues, I don't have the right sized allen wrench. I believe I need metric and the set my roommate gave me is not metric. I couldn't even remove the casters, none of the wrenches I have in my little set that came with the chair worked there. I'm practically twitching just leaving the forks looking like they do now where I've sandpapered parts of them. My boyfriend said he'd take me to get a metric allen wrench set tomorrow. I feel so guilty when he buys me so much stuff. But whenever I say something he repeats that he works so he can spend money on what he wants to. I say stuff a lot, especially things like "oh don't buy that expensive bottled water there! I'll bring water from home." or "lets get cheap water from walmart before the movie" but I guess I do get him preferring to spend more money over stop extra places!

I did 2 light coats of paint on one side the of FLSRs hubs. It looks like a sparkly silver right now, but I think it will be much darker when I've got enough coats. I'm going slow and cautious to not get drips. especially since its not a flat surface so lots of weird angles and all. Don't want too heavy of a coat in any one direction. I'm debating doing another 2 light coats to the opposite side, but I'm pretty beat from struggling with my chair plus I did some work with my power chair. I'm gonna see about stripping most of the purple (enough to prep to paint) off my spokes while relaxing and watching tv or a movie.