Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I have a question. Under "joystick throws" Does the "forward" control acceleration? Not the top speed eventually attained, but how long it takes to get there.
    Under joystick throw forward, reverse, right, left are all set to 100%. I haven't played around with these settings so I'm not really sure what the parameters actually do. Others would surely know though.

Cheers
    Steve

About what I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Yippee, we got the new ZX-1 today!!! Overall, it is working perfectly. I still need to do some fine tuning on the anti-tilt placement, but for everything else, it is working brilliantly.
    I just spent much of yesterday and today trying to sort out one niggly little problem with trying to get the cross member to clear the anti-tip receptacles we have mounted on the camber tube. For some reason, this was not an issue with the earlier ZX-1 we had.

Marty at Spinergy was helpful at looking at possible solutions. I did as suggested, checking tire pressure -- 35 psi, check. Because he said there was not much else that could be done, besides a possible actuator adjustment, I decided to focus on how to gain the 1-2 millimeters needed in other ways. By modifying the D's Locks adapters I was able to gain an extra couple of millimeters to move the anti-tip receptacles up a little higher. As you can imagine, it was quite a bit of adjusting, but voil? -- it worked!

It really is a puzzle trying to get it all to work with very little room to spare on a chair that has a lot of needed options on the camber tube and is not very wide. I think we squeezed it all in, but only just. I'm working on a write-up about some of these considerations, and will post it here when I am done, just in case others have the same problems.

I still have some questions about the anti-tilt adjustment to get the casters 2" off the ground, but that is a low priority (we are at 1" now). Personally, I am thinking we should maybe just ditch the anti-tilt mechanism completely, because it seems much more hassle than it's worth, especially here in flat Holland. I'd like to see my husband give it a good workout before making that decision.

I guess this picture says it all about me needing to get a new hobby that is not mobility equipment on a late Friday Halloween night! Happy Halloween to all of you who celebrate it.

Name:  2014 11 01_4391.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  302.8 KB
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks for your settings takenaback.

[RANT NOTICE]Is it just me, or don't you think that power mobility equipment should come with the software and cables to make these adjustments ourselves? I've looked into buying the Mobility PC Programmer (PCPb OEM Version), but would have preferred to have just bought it with the equipment so that we could have had partial funding. I don't want to continually call in a dealer that I need to tell them what to try, then they leave, and then we need to call them back to tell them what we want to try again. It's a huge expense and with very little joy. Also, things change over time as someone becomes used to equipment and our dealer is 2+ hours away.

I work in IT, and it would be the same as selling a computer with out a control panel. All documentation is already filled with every warning known to man. Why not just include a warning on programming, and let us all get on with it? I know this is not the topic of conversation here, but it is something that really annoys me, and not just with the ZX-1, but with all power equipment that we have had (2 power chairs, ZX-1, Firefly). It should be illegal, in my view, to sell equipment that an owner can not maintain and modify!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    ...clip... It should be illegal, in my view, to sell equipment that an owner can not maintain and modify!...
    You poked my hot button. I tried to get two different alarm companies to tell me if they had a backup battery that would fit my box. Neither seemed willing to just let me come and pick up a battery. They wanted to make a service call so I got in the van and went shopping. I found a 6 volt 12ah sla at the hardware store. It should work just fine. As for parts, there is no standardization in the hub motors. Buy one, and what you get is a motor and bunch of colored wires. You'd have trouble hooking this stuff up without web access.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Totally agree Nonoise. This is not rocket science, and even the most inept like me can usually figure out what is needed. And yes, on motors, to see the diagrams is just atrocious. Tar and feather them I say!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You poked my hot button. I tried to get two different alarm companies to tell me if they had a backup battery that would fit my box. Neither seemed willing to just let me come and pick up a battery. They wanted to make a service call so I got in the van and went shopping. I found a 6 volt 12ah sla at the hardware store. It should work just fine. As for parts, there is no standardization in the hub motors. Buy one, and what you get is a motor and bunch of colored wires. You'd have trouble hooking this stuff up without web access.

Pat sent me a set of those ant tippers for my early ZX. Looking at them and the hindrance of clearance etc., I never put them on. Glad I didn't. I don't take it off the property that much and when I do the only hassle is going up and down the ramp of my van. It's just a matter of going slow and being prepared when the armrest drop a bit going down. With it being so flat E, I doubt he needs them. May be safer even.

I agree about the programmer. It should be included or offered as an option.They always seem to think we don't have a clue about safety or the ability to do the changes ourselves.

I have worn the tread down on my ZX1 tyres and I'm having a little difficulty getting into buses these days without somebody giving me assistance as the wheels are just spinning at a little lip they have inside. I see a number of tyre options with more tread but I am concerned they might hit the clamshell.
    Anybody have any opinions, I was looking at these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1407...pid=107&chn=ps

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    I have worn the tread down on my ZX1 tyres and I'm having a little difficulty getting into buses these days without somebody giving me assistance as the wheels are just spinning at a little lip they have inside. I see a number of tyre options with more tread but I am concerned they might hit the clamshell.
    Anybody have any opinions, I was looking at these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1407...pid=107&chn=ps
    Just curious, when I need to get over a little lip, I have closed the clamp, but stopped the actuator before it stops itself, leaving me able to "tilt" the front wheelchair casters upwards enough to get over the lip - up to 2". I push down on the armrests of the zx1, to raise the casters. Meanwhile I'm also thinking of removing the anti-tilt apparatus, an annoying task for two wheeler family.

Rob's ZX-1 Power Add-on Review Video

I wanted to let you all know that we have made a video review of the ZX-1 in case any of you are interested.

I am still working on a more detailed written review, but have waited because we are again having problems with the ZX-1 cross member hitting the wheelchair anti-tip receptacles and I am needing to lift the chair into the clamshell. I thought we had it solved, but after testing with Rob in the chair, we are still having problems. I'll be talking with Spinergy about it more soon, but have a feeling we may need to adjust the actuator.
    Last edited by elarson; 11-10-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Thank you for putting together such an informative video! We get ours this week and also have a ZRa.