Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I’m hoping someone can help with some slowdown issues I’m having with the ZX1. I had a lithium conversion within a year of purchase (2011 I think). Of course there is lots of little wires governing charging and protection of the internal cells & BMS within the lithium batteries etc.
    It goes into slow mode usually when going uphill or the batteries are under load but in my case it can occur going downhill and it is much slower than the usual slow mode. It picks up to a normal slow mode within five seconds and then just continues on for approximately 30 seconds before it returns to normal mode. (That part is normal) So this can happen at any time on flat territory so I stress again it is not the normal slow mode initially.
    This is the second set of lithium batteries since the problem occurred and it did start at a time when I changed batteries. It’s a possibility something was disturbed but I have no idea where to start looking. Connections to the batteries are fine.
    This problem may occur weekly, sometimes twice a week and I use the ZX1 a lot! I can bring on the normal slow mode by going uphill or putting the ZX1 batteries under load but I can’t bring on the extreme slow mode deliberately, it’s unpredictable. Can occur crossing a road, so I have stopped crossing anywhere else bar crossings with lights. As I said earlier quite often occurs going downhill.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Steve

when it occurs, does you battery power display go to fewer lights lit?
    I think I read in the owners manual that it will go into creep mode on an uphill when the LiFePO batteries are low.
    That's a nice thing about the V/A meter I stuck on my handlebar: it gives real time empirical info.
    A resistive battery connection might also cause something like this.
    If you still have the lift-mechanism proximity sensor, that can cause reduced speed if the mechanism comes up too far; you could try lowering the chair to the point the tires touch ground, then raise just a smidgen and see if the fault goes away. (I run mine in the yard this way to be less tippy after an unfortunate rollover
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    A resistive battery connection might also cause something like this.
    Beat me to it. Translation, be sure *all* your battery connections are clean and tight.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thank you for your responses.
    The display does not show fewer lights. It can happen right after charging. The proximity sensor hasn't moved, when it detects something it just takes it into creep mode not the exceptionally slow creep mode that I have been experiencing.
    I have brand-new batteries and I made sure the battery connections are clean as I have been through loose connections before. There is a distinct difference in the speed of creep mode compared to what normally happens with loose connections.
    Spinergy have responded saying that I made need an updated BMS box. Hopefully that is the fix.
    Cheers
    Steve

when i first received my zx it would kick off, flash and crawl mode. the proximity sensor was the cause. i did replace my bms box once too
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Just to bring this to a close and for the benefit of others. After pulling apart clips and rejoining wires in the BMS box I no longer have this slowdown issue.

Just as an aside, the current set of lithium-ion drop-in replacements have more guts than any previous ones. I always use the same brand here in Australia and to be quite honest it is hard to even get it to go into slow mode. They've made significant improvements over the years. First of all the BMS inside the batteries would cut out and the only way to restore it was to disconnect and reconnect the batteries or insert the charger. After that the batteries had a recoverable mode. What I mean by that is after a minute or so the batteries would come to life. And this current iteration are by far the best I've ever had. https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...xoCvWcQAvD_BwE
    Steve

I fabricated a good little manual hoist to haul the ZX1 into my wife's R350 Bluteck diesel so we can take it to the city!
    (post 724, p73) #724

The repairs on this thing are up to $10,000! in 2 1/2 years, all valid and needed! (I retired and sold my shop of 45 years)
    Now, the second timing chain is starting to be noisy. We cut our losses and traded it in on a 2018 Volvo V70 T5 Cross Country.
    Even with some reconfiguring, I don't think I'd put this in the Volvo. In the MB there were convenient threaded fasteners for the base. The cargo hatch was quite vertical allowing the post to be close to the end of the car. Not so now!

So I'm looking to put a little carrier with a ramp onto the trailer hitch. The car come with a retraction (folding) hitch, so no receiver to build off, just this non-removable ball.

I wonder if there’s some one who makes something that plugs into that type of hitch but I can’t find it.
    Anything I attached to it would need to be removed in order to fold it up under the bumper. So I’m wondering about a short ramp with a shoe to go behind the hitch to keep it from sliding out of the car. The track of the Zx1 is only 17 1/2 inches so it could be pretty narrow. How long will be necessary is the question. I suppose something aluminum that folds in half might be the ticket.

I’m also wondering about making something that goes down over the hitch and ramps down sideways to drive the machine up onto until it goes over center and flips down to you horizontal against some kind a stop that you could pin in that position.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-22-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Hello! Can anyone quick point me to the standard(non-lithium) battery model number/type?! My ZX has crapped out on me and the guy at spinergy is telling me it's the batteries. I don't want to buy directly from them if I can get them much cheaper save a lot of money! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    I’m hoping someone can help with some slowdown issues I’m having with the ZX1. I had a lithium conversion within a year of purchase (2011 I think). Of course there is lots of little wires governing charging and protection of the internal cells & BMS within the lithium batteries etc.
    It goes into slow mode usually when going uphill or the batteries are under load but in my case it can occur going downhill and it is much slower than the usual slow mode. It picks up to a normal slow mode within five seconds ....
    Steve
    This happens to me too.... right after conversion
    Apparently, the sensor gets tripped easily when going thru an uneven surface. And for me here, especially on cold rainy days (24-26c)
    Have gotten stuck in the middle of a busy traffic junction on a rainy day twice...
    I see u manage to resolve the issue. I'll try doing that when I'm more free.

Meanwhile, this is my stop-gap solution;
    I don't completely lock the clamp.
    I'll push the joystick forward to lock it as per normal..... then push back the stick just a little... the clamp do not lock completely, but still holds my chair's camber tube secure enough.
    So, if the slowdown issue happens when i'm in the middle of a traffic junction, i can do that and move off as per normal....

I went to attach the ZX today and the actuator wouldn't work. It moves with no problem. I checked all the plugs, don't see any cuts in the wire and disconnected the battery and still no work. I do hear a faint click in the little box. It's so soft it's hard to tell. Any ideas?

So will call the dme Monday. I was just starting to trust this thing again. It's convinced me I'm keeping the original I got from Pat.