Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 236364656667686970717273747576 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I have one of Pat's early ZX1. It's about 6 years old and I'd like to replace the power module, joystick and actuator.
    Where's a good place to buy the parts? Don't want used. Any other brand to look at? I have a programmer so won't be difficult to change out.

My insurance bought me a new lithium unit. Big time difference from the SLA for distance. For those searching out the ZX-1, spend the extra and get the lithium.

i agree. lithium is a must imo
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i agree. lithium is a must imo
    Oh shit! I've screwed the pooch!#712

I rigged up a little lift deal in the workshop which makes it so much easier to work on this thing. First I cleaned off all the crap from going mudding to the generator some time in the fall, last time I used the ZX-1.

Before installing the new lead batteries, I charged all four with my new (appropriate) charger and load tested the lot using my ancient Sun 600A carbon-pile tester.
    One battery came with the machine 2 yrs ago, the second was a replacement when the original totally laid down in the spring.
    The other pair were brand new from VMAX Tanks, Pat's favorite source.
    I started at 50A and recorded voltage after 10s. All were between 10.0v and 10.6v
    Then 10s@100A: oldest, 8.4V, others, 9.1-9.6V
    Then I loaded to 150A and recorded voltage ASAP not wanting to tax the cells or straps: oldest 6.6V, 2nd oldest 8.4v, and the new pair, 8.6 and 8.4v

IMO, I have three good batteries.

I wonder about the motor specs in the photo. 24V, 3A max? 320W? At 320W/24V=13.33A Also, I've seen 38A currents on real steep full on assaults. Patterat? )surfing Motion Teck's site revealed nothing)

Any day now, Julie and I will take "The High Current Hike" and try to determine the practical (hilly) range of this setup.
    And I'm already starting on a gantry to lift and swing the ZX-1 into the rear of Julie's R350 so we gan take it to places like NYC (once we're real clear how far it will go and how to predict that from the voltmeter I hung on it.)

Even with the machine elevated, it's a PITA to get the batteries loaded and the velcro strap properly attached; both batteries want to fall to the sides unrestrained, so I made a little wooden support which fixed the problem, but revealed that what the batteries were horizontal, the frame of the machine above them was a little low, so I ground about 50 thou off the underside.
    Now the batteries socket snugly in their places leaving my hands free to deal with the Velcro, etc.
    I'll run this without the fiberglass cover. I don't see much need for it when the chair protects it from rain, and this leaves everything accessible including the lifting point.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by pfcs49; 04-05-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Finally finished the hoist:

Originally I was using a block and tackle with 3 supporting ropes (see previous post, although that was the first iteration with only 2)
    That worked fine excepting I needed a convenient way to lock the rope when it was supporting the load. That lead to rope-lockers and other nautical stuff, which made me think about using a manual winch.
    I found the one I used for $17 overnight from Amazon.
    Problem solved!

The pulley carrier on the arm is on an adjustable carrier with a lock-screw; I can vary the set-down location in the cargo area with it.

Now it's time to see how far I can go with charged acid batteries. There's a hilly three mile loop from any house.
    Plan is to go out and see how far I get while overseeing the battery voltages as hills get harder, etc, and when I'm depleted, to phone my wife who can now come extract me! The R350 also has a handy 110V AC outlet in the cargo bay, but needs to be running to have it working. I can travel with my charger running.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by pfcs49; 04-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    NW NJ

Wow, that is an outstanding winch system. I could see this in my wifes' Subaru.

I use a bar clamp to hold the batteries together for strapping. Makes it a lot easier. I just got a new ZX with Lithium and love the distance I get. I never took the old one off my property because I wasn't sure how long the SLA's would last. With this one, it's gotten to the point I use it all the time when I go out. My wife says it saves my shoulders for hand cycling.

I'm going to rebuild the one I bought from Pat so will be interested how it goes with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Wow, that is an outstanding winch system. I could see this in my wifes' Subaru.

I use a bar clamp to hold the batteries together for strapping. Makes it a lot easier. I just got a new ZX with Lithium and love the distance I get. I never took the old one off my property because I wasn't sure how long the SLA's would last. With this one, it's gotten to the point I use it all the time when I go out. My wife says it saves my shoulders for hand cycling.

I'm going to rebuild the one I bought from Pat so will be interested how it goes with your setup.
    The wooden shim deal on mine squares the batteries up perfectly anytime, anywhere you remove the strap.

I spent a lot of time researching LFP batteries before just ordering Pat's recommended lead-acid batteries. From what I saw, I hunch none of the 12V LFPs should be charged in series; they need individual 12V chargers. If I had a way tor sensibly trust a vendor selling economical LFB batteries that charged in series, I might jump. The weight savings, especially for lifting, is pretty attractive as well as the hugely greater range and long life.

Regarding shoulders: I'm 72 in June and 24 years of pushing my way around the world. My body is starting to show it! The first time I attached this thing and "whooshed" down the street effortlessly was a liberating experience! To go, and fast, and uphill without any effort. It was like being reborn!

One construction note: there's a tire cover well just inside of the mounting for the lift. What provides the required lateral rigidity is a 5/16" threaded rod that goes through the quarter panel and is nutted under the tailight assembly. Otherwise, I would have needed a diagonal brace out into the rear bay.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Finally finished the hoist:...
    Quality professional work
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    ...From what I saw, I hunch none of the 12V LFPs should be charged in series; they need individual 12V chargers...
    Separate chargers is doable, just a pain. Leaving the batteries connected together might be an issue, don't know. I use two cheap 24 volt lithium batteries connected in *parallel* for backup purposes. But for charging and storage they are disconnected by a switch. Since I'm 10 amps or less, I chose an ordinary wall switch.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

awesome setup pfc.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Nice work PFC!