Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

They are impressive looking tires is what I know. I was going to guess about 10 inches tall. Ten inches puts it in a higher gear (ratio) so to speak than the SmartDrive at around 7.5 inches tall.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

(edited) I just saw this: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ttery-retrofit

Nevemind.

@elarson thanks for all the info. I use my ZX1 in a fairly limited way, just to go back and forth to work (about a mile). I (thanks to pat) reprogrammed the controller to have the max forward speed. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

- How much do the new Li batteries cost?
    - Do you have to reprogram the controller for the Li batteries
    - Is the top speed the same?

I have noticed that I don't have the range I used to but it is enough for my needs, so I am wondering if the Li batteries are worth the money/time.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Regarding "How much do the new Li batteries cost?" -
    they are free, if ordered via a special arrangement, with a new ZX-1 from this place by midnight Oct 30.

Nice blatant advertisement....
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Tom

If you're only travelling 1 mile per day I wouldn't upgrade to the lithium ion batteries. If Pat has set yours at maximum forward speed I believe you will be very dissatisfied with the Conservative forward speed of the lithium upgrade via Spinergy. I have to travel greater distances than that but when I had the lead acid batteries it was great being able to go really fast, well it felt really fast to me.

Just my opinion having done the upgrade.

Cheers
    Steve

This message was composed using voice recognition, there may be mistakes.

Thanks, that is great information. I love how fast it goes now and wouldn't sacrifice speed for range.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Tom

If you're only travelling 1 mile per day I wouldn't upgrade to the lithium ion batteries. If Pat has set yours at maximum forward speed I believe you will be very dissatisfied with the Conservative forward speed of the lithium upgrade via Spinergy. I have to travel greater distances than that but when I had the lead acid batteries it was great being able to go really fast, well it felt really fast to me.

Just my opinion having done the upgrade.

Cheers
    Steve

This message was composed using voice recognition, there may be mistakes.

t8burst
    "... the new Li batteries ... Is the top speed the same?" -

In this specific context, changing to the new LiFePO4 batteries does not reduce the top speed of the ZX-1. The 3.8 mph Spinergy-programmed maximum speed is a limitation placed upon Spinergy by the USA's FDA. Of course, operating at a speed greater than the factory programmed maximum will reduce the ZX-1's range.

Note also that Spinergy's LiFePO4-upgrade-related controller re-programming enables the joystick module's LED display to warn of the substantially more abrupt power drop associated with depleting LiFePO4 batteries.

What is said in the previous post is accurate but Tom is going faster than 3.2 mph. Just have a look at the forward speed and power percentage post lithium ion upgrade. If Pat has set his forward speed to 100% and power to 100% he is going substantially faster and I can almost guarantee that will kick it into safe mode. I'm not sure many people would be satisfied with 3.2 mph, I certainly wasn't and have adjusted mine accordingly.

Name:  31-10-2014 10-16-28 AM.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  33.0 KB

I have a question. Under "joystick throws" Does the "forward" control acceleration? Not the top speed eventually attained, but how long it takes to get there.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I reprogrammed the controller, it goes a lot faster than 3.8 MPH. I would guess about 10 MPH, or the speed of someone jogging. A person walking cannot keep up with me. The top speed it came with stock was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    t8burst
    "... the new Li batteries ... Is the top speed the same?" -

In this specific context, changing to the new LiFePO4 batteries does not reduce the top speed of the ZX-1. The 3.8 mph Spinergy-programmed maximum speed is a limitation placed upon Spinergy by the USA's FDA. Of course, operating at a speed greater than the factory programmed maximum will reduce the ZX-1's range.

Note also that Spinergy's LiFePO4-upgrade-related controller re-programming enables the joystick module's LED display to warn of the substantially more abrupt power drop associated with depleting LiFePO4 batteries.