Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1959606162636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 701

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

  1. #681
    Senior Member pfcs49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW NJ ***********T12 cmplt since 95
    Posts
    1,235
    This is interesting information, about LiPO vs lead and a very curious anomaly in their ratings (lower AH Li have greater power??? Huh?)
    #27

    Also, a $400 Li pair w/built-in management for $400 for ZX1
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

  2. #682
    Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    This is interesting information, about LiPO vs lead and a very curious anomaly in their ratings (lower AH Li have greater power??? Huh?)
    #27....
    Battery life is dependent on how fast it it discharged as described in this link from the drone world. They describe the C rate, or discharge rate. Different batteries have different rates. I have a box of 24 volt lithiums with apparently a low rate that are quite disappointing, but two paralleled together serve as a backup battery. If you can figure the amp draw of the motors etc. maybe you can crack this puzzle. https://quadquestions.com/blog/2014/...ing-explained/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  3. #683
    im not sure.. in my opinion all zx should go lithium, i suggest the upgrade to my customers. they can be finicky with the bms sometimes but overall good. maybe pat the original designer will give his opinion. im sure it has to do with user size, weight, terrain etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Why do you suppose the lead acid batteries in the ZX-1 run down so quickly? Are the ZX-1 batteries much smaller than full power chair batteries? I don't know, I am asking. The drive motors are probably the same or similar between the two.

    I do know brushed motors suck juice. My brushed motored I-glide running on the same lithium battery pack caves in long before it ever would when used on the brushless hub motors.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  4. #684
    I have a ZX-1 w/Lithium battery delivered 10/12/18. Today, I was zooming to my workshop and all of a sudden it stopped dead in it's tracks. No power what so ever. Wife came out to ensure all was plugged in. Still np power.

    We had to transfer out of my chair into my spare. Couldn't reach the free wheel handle on the motors so she had to lean both the unit and my chair so she could wheel it back to where I could check it out. All connections were connected etc.

    I decided to see if putting the charger on would kick start it. That worked and seems fine now. Thing is, right now I don't trust it. I cringe thinking if this would happen off the property. No way, that I see, how to disconnect the unit and chair in case of a power failure such as this.

    Any ideas why this cut out? I was testing it with all the speed lights on and joystick all the way forward. Tech. is coming tomorrow. I don't have much faith in him as this is the first one they sold.

    Of course, as I was sitting there, it snowed just a bit for the first time. Never fails does it.

  5. #685
    Silly question, but was the battery charged enough? Lithiums have a built in BMS which will suddenly cut power when it gets too low for it's own good. The term is low voltage cutoff. It happens to me with my I-Glide setup, so we are careful to charge it up ever other day when I'm actively using it, as it no longer has a "gas gauge". I hope your problem is quickly solved Patrick, loose connection or something simple.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  6. #686
    Senior Member pfcs49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW NJ ***********T12 cmplt since 95
    Posts
    1,235
    I continue my "High Impact" trials of the ZX1, getting me through my hilly, lumpy back yard to my generator.
    I have succeeded in putting a three position servo-motor on the generator with associated 12V wiring to a microcontoller switch box in my bedroom.
    This has also opened up another curious pursuit: 12V LED lighting in the house when the generator is not (why I made this: 20KW, it powers everything....for about two days when it has emptied the propane! My wife would shut it off at bedtime and come all the way around and back into a dark house. AM, same drill, run for an hour, make coffee, get a fire going, shut it off for some hours, etc)
    Well, when we renovated this barn 15 yrs ago, I ran CAT5 wiring all over, home-runned to under the master bedroom. This enables me to finally USE it! I can put LED 12v lights all over the place, plugging in to phone jack plates in every room. No more Coleman Lanterns! I already have one in the bedroom that plugs into the switch plate.
    Sorry, but no finished photo; only an epoxied lineage tab on the switch shown, but it works great! Now to get those CAT 5 circuits powered up; I'll parallel some pairs to avoid line losses.


    Meanwhile, the rough back yard has been a test track for the ZX!
    So a couple weeks ago I was navigating and suddenly hit a rough spot that was bad enough that the machine went over center and down I went! No neighbors home so I called the local police and got them to get me up.
    Now I've realized my error: the chair was too elevated. If I barely raise it, the wheelchair tires keep it from flipping.
    I've also found that when in soft muddy ground, getting even lower and having the wheelchair tires pick up some of the weight actually results in better traction, perhaps because there's less rolling resistance?

    I'm disappointed how poor the traction is on these knobbies. They spin when I try to climb the little asphalt (did you know asphalt is NOT a rectal disease?)
    berm the township put along the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by pfcs49; 01-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

  7. #687
    It was at it's lowest charge as was, what I thought, breaking in the batteries. The charge lights showed two yellows left before going into the red. I thought there was plenty of charge left. Boy, when it shut down, it shut down.

  8. #688
    Hi Phil, Pats post said he set it so the zx1 goes into crawl mode when the rear wheels are elevated (when mounting I think) more than 1/8". He did that for safety to slow it on turns if I read him correctly. At an 1/8", I would think the rear wheels would contact the ground often.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  9. #689
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    It was at it's lowest charge as was, what I thought, breaking in the batteries. The charge lights showed two yellows left before going into the red. I thought there was plenty of charge left. Boy, when it shut down, it shut down.
    Breaking in batteries is something new to me. Is it covered in the zx1 instructions. I know it's been discussed here, but different chemistries and all. My lifpo4's have held up well just by keeping them charged up, (not connected) even neglecting to do so, they have done well when not in use.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  10. #690
    if it was bms it should restart. call ryan at spinergy tell him you are a friend of mine. you may need a new bms
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I have a ZX-1 w/Lithium battery delivered 10/12/18. Today, I was zooming to my workshop and all of a sudden it stopped dead in it's tracks. No power what so ever. Wife came out to ensure all was plugged in. Still np power.

    We had to transfer out of my chair into my spare. Couldn't reach the free wheel handle on the motors so she had to lean both the unit and my chair so she could wheel it back to where I could check it out. All connections were connected etc.

    I decided to see if putting the charger on would kick start it. That worked and seems fine now. Thing is, right now I don't trust it. I cringe thinking if this would happen off the property. No way, that I see, how to disconnect the unit and chair in case of a power failure such as this.

    Any ideas why this cut out? I was testing it with all the speed lights on and joystick all the way forward. Tech. is coming tomorrow. I don't have much faith in him as this is the first one they sold.

    Of course, as I was sitting there, it snowed just a bit for the first time. Never fails does it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •