Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Thanks, I actually removed the actuator completely before I tested it and the swing arm moves freely. It is hard to say what happened I left my ZX-1 in the place I used to work and it sat for about a year. When I picked it up finally, put new batteries in it and everything worked but the actuator.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    You can use two 18-22 gauge insulated female connectors(red) that you can get them from autozone, home depot etc... I might have the correct connector lying around somewhere, I'll take a look in a bit.
    I'm still using the same actuator for many years now. They are very well made and have internal limit switches that kill the power at each end of it's stroke. It's important that nothing prevents that from happening. Make sure those allen head stop bolts aren't out too far. Also disconnect one side of the actuator and make sure that whole swing arm assembly and clamshell move freely without any side to side slop and that the bottom bolts of the shock don't contact the sides of the motors.

When I go down a steep hill my zx1 wants to pitch me forward and I can only navigate that kind of downhill by going extremely slow. It's no doubt my anti-tip bars that need adjusting but can't do that at present - was wondering if anyone knows of an easy fix; was thinking of a larger wheel on the anti tip so that it will come in contact with the vertical posts of my wheelchair, rather than being about an inch away.

The anti-tilt wheels should be just touching the backrest uprights when your in the driving position(rear manual wheels 1/8" or less of the ground). You need to adjust the armrest brackets forward one or two holes.

The anti-tilt wheels should be just touching the backrest uprights when your in the driving position(rear manual wheels 1/8" or less of the ground). You need to adjust the armrest brackets forward one or two holes.
    Thanks, Pat.

No problem. Which holes are they in now? Do you know your chairs COG?

No problem. Which holes are they in now? Do you know your chairs COG?
    Hubby and I used to do all these type of adjustments, but for now we have had to line up a technician coming to our home next week to do the work. He is familiar with zx1 set-up. We are familiar with what's needed, having done initial work on new zx1, and I plan to be front and center in another wheelchair to watch and make sure the changes are ok. So dang frustrating to watch someone else do this.
    Don't know how it happened but after using the zx1 for about 4 years now, the anti-tips are about 1 1/2" from back post!! We did tighten my back upholstery recently and perhaps this threw things out of alignment. Previously the anti tips were about 1/2" to 3/4" so that I could push down on the armrests to get over a nasty bump getting into our local library. But, as you recommended, I definitely need it to be just touching the back posts for going down a steep path. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
    Thanks again for comments.

Pat: Husband just measured as you requested. My COG is 2" and the anti-tips are in the last hole, to the rear, of the metal block. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on those settings.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Pat: Husband just measured as you requested. My COG is 2" and the anti-tips are in the last hole, to the rear, of the metal block. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on those settings.
    With 2" of COG your armrest brackets should be on one of the front most holes. Having only 2" of COG also puts your weight more forward of the ZX1s drive wheels which makes it more likely to tilt forward when descending inclines and harder for your front wheels to lift over obstacles. It would perform much better if you could get your COG closer to 3".

That sounds like a great idea to adjust the COG as you said to around 3". Thanks for the input. Hoping to have changes done within a week.