Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    any other newer users out there? I'm getting ready to get one myself.
    I'm thinking of bailing on this and getting a Smart Drive because of it's portability. I just hate spending money!!
    So, stay tuned-it may become available!

On another note, I just noticed that my battery charger is for LI-ion Batteries.
    The seller said it sat for a year and the batteries died, so he got a couple new ones which are acid.
    I assume this means that I can go ahead with Li-ions and won't need a battery management board up-grade?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Width of your frame doesn't matter. It's that it's too low because of the axle being on top of the frame and not below. The chair goes over the top of the ZX wheels not around them. I'm sure Nonoise or Pat can give you better advice on the battery issue. Lithiums are definitly better than sla's.

Since this isn't your everyday chair. Flip the axle and brackets so they're below the frame and see if that at least solves the problem of attaching it. Then you'll have a better idea on a frame when you order.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

On another note, I just noticed that my battery charger is for LI-ion Batteries.
    The seller said it sat for a year and the batteries died, so he got a couple new ones which are acid.
    I assume this means that I can go ahead with Li-ions and won't need a battery management board up-grade?
    Do you see that little black box anywhere? The one to the left in this picture: https://www.spinergy.com/products/zx-1-lithium-package
    The seller either gave you the wrong charger, or it has been upgraded to Lithium.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Not there.
    What's between the batteries seems to be a resettable? circuit-breaker. It's in series with the two batteries and has no there connections besides the heavy runs to the batteries.
    It has a button facing the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Well shoot, you need a lead acid charger. To quote from Battery University "... If continually deprived, the battery will eventually lose the ability to accept a full charge and the performance will decrease due to sulfation...." http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...d_acid_battery The lithium charger uses the wrong charging profile.

I wish I knew if these lithiums were any good, they probably don't fit your application. I don't know: http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v...placement.aspx
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

We have a ZX-1 that I just upgraded to Lithium batteries. From the looks of the photos, you do not have the Lithium battery package. Ours came with the blue Powerizer LifeP04 batteries shown in the photo that Nonoise provided the link to. As he noted, it would include the BMS circuit/box assembly if it was lithium.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Not there.
    What's between the batteries seems to be a resettable? circuit-breaker. It's in series with the two batteries and has no there connections besides the heavy runs to the batteries.
    It has a button facing the rear.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Speaking of battery chargers... I am a bit concerned if the charger supplied by Spinergy with the ZX-1 (MK LS 24/4) that we used for lead batteries works with the Powerizer LiFePO4 batteries (LF-LA12V15) provided with the Lithium battery package. I saw no mention of it in the documentation provided by Spinergy.

The battery lable says "Must use powerizer smart LiFePO4 battery charger". I also saw on the website for the Powerizer batteries "Must use LiFePO4 charging circuit. Do not use Lead Acid charger to charge this battery". It also says "Please use 12.8V smart LiFePO4 battery charger with CCCV mode to recharge the battery 3.0A smart charger for LFP battery pack to recharge this battery pack".

As I understand it, CCCV (Constant Current, Constant Voltage) charging mode is needed for Lithium batteries so that they are safe and also not damaged. I read this article that implies that the BMS (Battery Management System) will regulate the charge and a CCCV charger is not necessary. I would think that if a new charger was needed that Spinergy would have provided it, but maybe that is a dangerous assumption. Any input?

Also, the link to that charger does not show any connector for the 3 pin Neutrik NC3MX connector for charging port on the PG Drive VR2 joystick. If a new charger is needed, does anyone have a recommendation?
    Last edited by elarson; 08-11-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

pfcs49: Hoping you can work this out. I'm slightly mechanically-minded and can only say my everyday chair adjustable axle "box" (the bottom edge of it) sits about 1 to 1& 1/2 inches above the tire of the zx1 when it's attached to my chair. My zx1 tire appears to sit evenly on either side of that axle box. (I have the "snow tires" from Monster on my zx1 24/7 as I like the traction).
    Also wondering why you have the collars on the axle bar - is that to help center the clamp of zx1? I worry that the collars will damage the clamp. Just before I connect to zx1 I eyeball the location of one my everyday chair tires in relation to zx1 tire. If I'm about 2 1/2" away from zx1 tire edge, I go ahead and connect. I then only hold the lever until I hear a certain sound - it tells me I'm hooked up and 'go no further' or I'll go into 'crawl mode'.
    Hope you let us know how this goes.

elarson: I switched to lithium batteries about 2 yrs. ago and use same original battery charger supplied by Spinergy. No problems thus far. I charge whenever I'm one green light down as tech person told me 'they love charging', and don't make a habit of running down the batteries before charging.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    ...I switched to lithium batteries about 2 yrs. ago and use same original battery charger supplied by Spinergy. No problems thus far. I charge whenever I'm one green light down as tech person told me 'they love charging', and don't make a habit of running down the batteries before charging.

Here are more quotes from Battery University, which btw are in conflict with the Spinergy tech. Is that a surprise? Essentially Lithium should not be fully charged, but from another source they say probably fine if right before using. We are talking about battery life.
    ==========paste===========

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

• Turn off the device or disconnect the load on charge to allow the current to drop unhindered during saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
    • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge at freezing temperature. (See BU-410: Charging at High and Low Temperatures)
    • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
    • Not all chargers apply a full topping charge and the battery may not be fully charged when the ?ready? signal appears; a 100 percent charge on a fuel gauge may be a lie.
    • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
    • Apply some charge to an empty battery before storing (40?50 percent SoC is ideal). (See BU-702: How to Store Batteries.)

Last updated 2017-05-09
    ======end=================

Notice bullet point four's comment about the lying fuel gauge. I have some NiMH example batteries from I-Glides of those on my workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Speaking of battery chargers... I am a bit concerned if the charger supplied by Spinergy with the ZX-1 (MK LS 24/4) that we used for lead batteries works with the Powerizer LiFePO4 batteries (LF-LA12V15) provided with the Lithium battery package. I saw no mention of it in the documentation provided by Spinergy.

The battery lable says "Must use powerizer smart LiFePO4 battery charger". I also saw on the website for the Powerizer batteries "Must use LiFePO4 charging circuit. Do not use Lead Acid charger to charge this battery". It also says "Please use 12.8V smart LiFePO4 battery charger with CCCV mode to recharge the battery 3.0A smart charger for LFP battery pack to recharge this battery pack".

As I understand it, CCCV (Constant Current, Constant Voltage) charging mode is needed for Lithium batteries so that they are safe and also not damaged. I read this article that implies that the BMS (Battery Management System) will regulate the charge and a CCCV charger is not necessary. I would think that if a new charger was needed that Spinergy would have provided it, but maybe that is a dangerous assumption. Any input?

Also, the link to that charger does not show any connector for the 3 pin Neutrik NC3MX connector for charging port on the PG Drive VR2 joystick. If a new charger is needed, does anyone have a recommendation?
    The Spinergy lead acid charger LS 24/4 does not specifically state that it shuts off when charged. That is a requirement for lithium. There must be *no* float. Also it is a 4 amp charger. That is higher than I've seen for this range voltage, so I'd want to research that too. I couldn't open your LFP battery pack link, but it looks like it's a 3.0A charger.

That an interesting theory about CCCV. Just remember not all BMS's are created equal.

Edit: Well the 10A 12V Lithium LifePO4 on Clean Republics site says "...Compatible with most SLA chargers...." So apparently if Spinergy okay'd it, you are good to go. I'd still check to be sure there is no float charge.
    Last edited by nonoise; 08-11-2017 at 08:08 PM.