Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with this. I originally designed the ZX1 to attach to the chair I was using at the time, a TiLite TRc. I'm not sure what could be interfering with the ZX1s drive wheels. Could you post pics of this. I'm also happy to help via email or phone if that would be better.
    Thanks a bunch!
    I was in the chair and my wife diagnosed the problem-and I hunch she's right, but this weekend I'll get in another chair and see for myself.
    It sure would be great if she was wrong, just this once!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Here's why I can't use the ZX-1 w/Ti TR/c

IT JUST WON'T FIT!!
    Even after changing out the axle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NW NJ

If you haven't been there (here) before, welcome to the frustration club. People wonder why I have so many wheelchairs around here. Well trial and error is one reason. Hang in there and check out the used market for something that will work.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Looks like your chair is too narrow for the unit. Are those stock tires. I had a similar problem due to my axle being so far forward. Pat Tallino made some simple brackets to lengthen the armrest supports. How wide is your chair? are you using 24_ wheels or 559's

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Looks like your chair is too narrow for the unit. Are those stock tires. I had a similar problem due to my axle being so far forward. Pat Tallino made some simple brackets to lengthen the armrest supports. How wide is your chair? are you using 24_ wheels or 559's
    Tires aren't the problem. The lower frame of the chair is too narrow to fit between the wheels of the ZX1. The chair has a 17" seat width.
    The proper axle would be 17" (tube width), but is a little wider @18".

My Kurshall is too small for me, is a narrower frame, and accepts the ZX1
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-09-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    NW NJ

I just put a new set on mine that are narrower and a bit taller than the previous ones that were on (they were much like yours). The widest part of my tire measures 3 1/8 inches across. A little over 16" wide total with these tires .Pat Tallino recommended these years ago. Next ones will be like the foam filled ones he personally uses. He and I buy them from Monster Scooter parts. http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/3...ead-kenda.html

I sure hear you on the frustration setting it up. Once it gets straightened out, you'll love it. When you get it to fit between the frame, it looks like you may have to adjust the anti tip brackets too, or take them off. With your being a T12, take them off.

Trustfully Pat can chime in on this if he sees it.. Opps, See he already has.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-09-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Given wrong info. corrected in post 498

... Is there any adjustment on moving the motors(wheels) closer together. Spacers between the wheel and motor?...
    Patrick knows this stuff. Look at elarson's photo in post #30 in this thread. It's on page 3. Those wheels look closer together than yours.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Looking at my chair in relation to the ZX, the frame of my chair goes over the top of the wheels. My axle is below the frame. You have your axle on top of the frame. Turn your axle and brackets over and it should work. That will raise your rear seat height though. Trustfully, when you changed your axle you put it on upside down by mistake. If it does make your front casters at a different angle. Change the front wheels to a lower hole in the fork and that will raise the front end. If my axle was on top of the frame like yours, I doubt mine would fit either.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.

any other newer users out there? I'm getting ready to get one myself.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Looking at my chair in relation to the ZX, the frame of my chair goes over the top of the wheels. My axle is below the frame. You have your axle on top of the frame. Turn your axle and brackets over and it should work. That will raise your rear seat height though. Trustfully, when you changed your axle you put it on upside down by mistake. If it does make your front casters at a different angle. Change the front wheels to a lower hole in the fork and that will raise the front end. If my axle was on top of the frame like yours, I doubt mine would fit either.

Looking at your photo, it looks like the clamshell is lower than your axle. Turning the axle to the bottom looks like it would be even. Your rsh must be much lower than my 15 or 16"
    rsh.
    Originally the chair had some wet-dream adjustable camber/track contraption of pip-pins, sheet aluminum and stub axles. It was prescribed to me 16 years ago and has been used as a house chair or thrown in my wife wagon if we went out. And I never used the camber adjustment! The double loop frame construction makes it very difficult to pull between me and the steering wheel.

The new axle is within 1/4" of the CG and dump of the originals. That's how the TR/c axles roll. (the measurement, centerline to centerline of axle tube to frame tube is 2 7/8" vertical, and nearly the same distance from upright frame tube to axle centerlines also) The axle is right where it belongs. The RSH is 16.5"

I measured the ZX1 tires, upper sidewall to upper sidewall: 16 1/2" The chair frame is 1" tubing, 17" outside, so 15" inside, 1.5" narrower than the machine wheels.
    There are no wheel spacers on the wheel hubs. The top plate of the motor/gearbox housings are 1/8-3/16" from the inner sidewalls so there's no poaching the wheels closer together.

To get clearance using narrower tires, the tires would need to be 1.5" narrower, each tire, which would move the two inner sidewalls in 3/4" ea, 1 1/2" total, and this would still be rubbing the wheelchair frame opening. However, any concerns I had about the clamshell allowing lateral slop wouldn't matter now!

I think the answer is to get a new chair!
    Actually, two!
    My other chair is 15 years old and is great. (a Ti built much like my Kurschall 3000GT)
    I waited 6 months for a seating clinic at Kessler so I could get a new Medicare chair. That will only take another 9-10 months!

Meanwhile, I want the prescription/Ti order form from the clinic. I'll strip this piece of shit double tube crapster and get a new frame as similar to the good Ti as currently possible, put my axles/camber tube, seat back, cushion, wheels on it and spring for new/smaller Frog's Legs (the Ti rep at the Expo said no problem to build for Frog Legs instead of the new Ti wet dream single sided boutique forks!).
    Maybe I'll be cruising this thing by fall.
    NW NJ