Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I LOVE my ZX1 and continue to find it hard to believe that a professional OT would take such a strong opinion, rather than thoroughly evaluating the product him/herself. In addition, do I understand that a DME person had a similar negative opinion? Could it be that this DME person sees more profit in dealing with full size power wheelchairs rather than promote the ZX1 to those who would benefit from it?

Just a suggestion, but I think you need to meet with your voc. rehab. counselor to discuss this situation if you are interested in getting a ZX1. Make it clear that you are not comfortable with this particular OT's views of the product. By the way, usually when a voc.rehab counselor arranges an OT eval. they do not specify a particular person, but refer client to a department that has OT's and they arrange someone on staff who is knowledgable to do the evaluation. Did they refer you to a facility that treats paralyzed wheelchair users on a regular basis, for example, a rehab. center, spinal cord injury center, or was it a local hospital, etc. A "wheelchair evaluation" requires a specialized OT with experience.

The ZX1 is a major invention in mobility products. Some of the important features: you can don or doff it like a pair of your shoes; no TRANSFER to it is required to add power assist to your daily activities; it's nice for someone to power up ramps into mini-vans (I've tried that). One negative for some folks would be the weight of it at around 60-70 pounds means it's not easily transportable independently in a car.
    By the way I recently visited a quad friend who asked to see my ZX1 in operation. He plans to purchase one ASAP, and had previously resisted any power assist.
    I'd like to hear the complaints you are aware of, when you get a chance.
    Thanks!

The problem was they DID evaluate the product themselves, and resulted in a very poor evaluation. I of course do not know how thorough it was, and I suspect they may have received a damaged unit as a couple people here on the forum did, but as it was the first unit they had experience with blamed it on the device as opposed to the specific unit.

As I said earlier, I am NOT interested in getting a ZX1. This is NOT for myself, anyone who participates in giving a review for me to send to the OT is doing it for further clients who could be best assisted by a ZX1 and not assisting me. The ZX1 does not meet my personal needs.

The voc rehab counselor did refer me to a specific place that does evaluations. She gave me the name of the business, and then I found them by google, contacted them directly to ask about familiarity with the devices that I was interested in. They responded with the contact info of the OT who would be performing my evaluation, then I emailed her directly to ask questions, and then kept her up to date with my demoing products and other relevant information up to our meeting in person for the evaluation. She does evaluations full time for wheelchairs. The other option was the local rehab hospital but I would have had to wait a few more months, and as the voc rehab counselor explained they wouldn't be able to do the vehicle evaluation so I'd have to still meet up with someone else, while the place she chose handles both.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks for explaining. I like the way you are approaching things.
    Currently I am in the process of ordering an extension for armrest and the new longer life batteries so I can go on trails this Fall without worrying about battery running down.

what longer life batteries are being offered T.? I have been using the 12vlt 15ah sla batteries and would like to find something with longer mileage for both the ZX and the Powerpod
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-28-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Apparently they will be offering an option for Lithium batteries that will double the range from 5 miles to 10 miles, and decrease the weight to 75 lbs. There is not a lot of information available about it. All that I know is what is posted on Wheelchair Cushion Sage: ZX-1 Power Assist Wheelchair Add-On by Spinergy and what is in included on the Spinergy site for the Harmar's AL-ZX1 Auto Lift for Spinergy Spinergy's ZX-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    what longer life batteries are being offered T.? I have been using the 12vlt 15ah sla batteries and would like to find something with longer mileage for both the ZX and the Powerpod
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Wow, that's a nice lift or the ZA. Think I'll look into it. Thanks E., for the update on the batteries. Will be interesting to here the reviews when they come out.

elarson: In regard to your comment about reviewing the ZX1, would you consider a thread or sub-thread (?) 'ongoing review of ZX1'. I think many folks would find any and all reviews helpful. As an old-timer I find this device the best thing since sliced bread! Yes, it's not useful for some, but I just wish there was more attention/advertising for it. For example, newpaper articles feature warm and fuzzy stories about the disabled, but what about the equipment and inventors who have devoted time and energy to making life improvements for wheelers.
    In addition to Pat inventing the ZX1, there's Ralf Hotchkiss who invented the wheelchair for 3rd world disabled persons living in often rural terrain. The chair can be repaired with hardware store parts.

Triumph: I had planned to just post it here, because I think it's easier to have information in one place. Also because posts often end up generating a lot of questions/issues, some of it might end up as a repeat to what is already in this thread. But if you think it's better, I have no problem to post it in a thread that you start for ZX-1 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    elarson: In regard to your comment about reviewing the ZX1, would you consider a thread or sub-thread (?) 'ongoing review of ZX1'....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Just checked out the price on the Harmar auto lift for the ZX. $12,890.00us. Dang the lift cost more than the machine itself.http://www.spinergy.com/images/uploa...SS_30Jul14.pdf
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-29-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Regarding the ZX-1 armrest extensions mentioned a few posts back in this topic:
    "... I have no idea how to go about ordering them, and am not even sure if they are even available yet."
    They are readily available both with a new ZX-1 and as a retrofit accessory.