Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by charlie89 View Post
    Hi, Im new to ZX-1 and this forum. Just a question after reading some posts. Is there a way to change the speed of the ZX-1 as max speed factory set is a little slow, if so does anyone know how to do this yourself?
    Welcome Charlotte. Yes, you can have the top speed increased, provided you can handle the balance and reaction issues, and take care at the higher speed. Your dealer should be able to do this for you with their programmer. Can't be done without a programmer. Just decrease the deceleration, turning and acceleration rates at the same time on that program or you may find yourself out of the chair! I think default is about 80%, so you can go to 100%, but it does stress your battery more by dragging greater current. If you develop shuddering at speed, it is caster flutter of front or rear castors, so you need to slow till it stops then get going gain - it can be started by a stone or non vertical caster barrel alignment (or lifting too high when mounting ZX-1) when in ZX-1 mode but rarely stops until slower speed. Flutter can be dangerous and wears out tires.

Also any tips for general driving other than practice, I'm mainly struggling with going over small thresholds/doors like 1 inch high, I try to square up and go slow. Thanks in advance.

Charlotte
    I find the instructions to square up to a threshold crazy as you then need to get both wheels up at the same time. I always approach thresholds at an angle to get one wheel up at a time, unless lifting over it with balance on rear wheel. You may be able to rock your weight backwards to tip up front wheels as you drive forwards or push back on armrests to raise or lighten front wheels to lift over threshold, but that depends upon your abilities. You then need to straighten up to prevent possible tip over or loss of drive wheel grip. For steep ramps, you generally do need to approach square on while leaning forward on the ramp. Practice new moves and acute changes in slope with someone ready to help, if you get into trouble (like any wheelchair manoeuver) - better to be safe than sorry. As you can see from these pics of me at my yacht club, quite steep ramps are possible with care and practice.

All the best and we hope you find your ZX-1 great to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just love inventing stuff.

Charlotte Sent you a PM.

PMs don't seem to be working. I've tried to PM twice but no Sent PM after submitting.

Thanks for the photos coolmobility! I'll try approaching a threshold at an angle. My method has been to push down on the armrests, raising the front casters of my wheelchair, while at the same time gently moving joystick to go forward.
    Angle attack sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for the photos coolmobility! I'll try approaching a threshold at an angle. My method has been to push down on the armrests, raising the front casters of my wheelchair, while at the same time gently moving joystick to go forward.
    Angle attack sounds better.
    It doesn't work for me. I'm totally unable to raise the casters when the ZX-1 is hooked, unfortunately. I think my chair has too much load on the casters, but I've choosen this setting after many backflips, and I can't use anti-tippers whith the ZX-1.
    So, if the threshold is a bit high (more than 1") I prefer climbing it on reverse. I have swapped the Froglegs forks of the ZX-1 and the elastomer is now on the back. I think it makes this method smoother.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    So, if the threshold is a bit high (more than 1") I prefer climbing it on reverse. I have swapped the Froglegs forks of the ZX-1 and the elastomer is now on the back. I think it makes this method smoother.
    I too swapped the elastomer Frogleg with the one having an alloy block instead, and I think ride is better too. Raised rear axle to give better clearance on motors as I have the larger knobby main tyres, so not much height/angle problem of rear caster spindle created.

Hi all, Thanks for the warm welcome, those pictures are amazing coolmobility, I love your wheels too awesome. My ZX1 after a week of having it has just gone back the clam shell was open and would not close or function at all, the ZX1 would drive so we think there is a fault in a wire probably after the dealer put the Lithium upgrade kit on, they were not most competent, got the ZX1 home and had to adjust it as it was not set for 25" wheels or my camber.
    On a side note, has anyone got the arm rest extensions, I find as they are they are too short to keep my arm there for the joy stick or to push on them. If so do you know if they come as a pair from spinergy site or individual?
    Off on holiday soon so hoping my ZX1 is back with me so I can do some exploring.
    Thanks

Sorry about your problems Charlie89, hope it is fixed soon and enjoy your holiday. Charllie, what country are you from, as it helps with advice on the forum? Your dealer would be able to get extensions for you or purchase from Spynergy direct - looks like USD 130 each, which is expensive. I'd get one or two made by a local machinist cheaper, but that's just me. An old flip-up rfootrest would likely fit inside tube and cut off tube to length you want, might be an option.

Those wheels are Karma brand (Taiwan) and are carbon fibre, very stiff but no longer available :-(

Hey Coolmobility. I am from the UK, thankfully my dealer have now fixed the initial problem with my ZX1 not working and I had a good test ride at a local zoo with my free wheel hooked up it was AWESOME! never had so much freedom. I think I am getting used to the arm rest length and as you say 130 USD per armrest extension is pricey when you see what they are. I don't find the arm rests as they are all that easy to balance my arm on anyway but I think there is a lot of practice.

Do you know when the Lithium batteries are pretty much dead what is the charge time, as the book that comes with the ZX1 is just for the standard batteries. I managed to kill the batteries in one day out but It was a long day so thinking maybe carry the charge with me is best.

Definitely got the hang of thresholds now too :-) I recently tried those new Loop wheels which are awesome for the suspension, great for my hip issues but not sure how much of each self propulsion would be lost due to the bounce in them.
    Thanks for the help.

Do you know when the Lithium batteries are pretty much dead what is the charge time, as the book that comes with the ZX1 is just for the standard batteries. I managed to kill the batteries in one day out but It was a long day so thinking maybe carry the charge with me is best.

Definitely got the hang of thresholds now too :-) I recently tried those new Loop wheels which are awesome for the suspension, great for my hip issues but not sure how much of each self propulsion would be lost due to the bounce in them.
    Thanks for the help.
    Full charge from flat is about 4 hours and with the limited range, carrying the charger on long trips may be useful. Stop for lunch by a power point for a charge boost would make a big difference as more charge goes in initially to LiPos, with current decreasing with time.

What loop wheels are you talking about having tried? Sound interesting.

You may find cost effective handle extensions or terminations that might suit in your case from bike shops or ebay. Just beware of tube sizes.