Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I almost ran out of battery power today as when I took off to the yacht club to go sailing. My battery lights were decreasing too quickly (I have LiIon batteries) and I thought something was wrong as I'd just unplugged the charger. Couldn't work it out until I got home after a lovely day sailing (not enough wind though) and test driving my new outboard motor setup for the first time.

I only JUST made it home, with my crew following in his car. Twice the battery dropped in voltage low enough to enter 'slow mode'. A bit of rest and off again.

Lesson to be learned - just because controller shows charge mode on LEDs, that only indicates charger PLUGGED IN, Not that charger is ON. You need to check CHARGER LEDs that unit is charging. The mains power plug had pulled loose enough to disconnect the charger, but not fall out, so I'd just plugged in charger, seen lights on controller change, and rolled away.

You need to check CHARGER box LEDs to ensure charging is actually happening, and not run out of juice, like I almost did. Lesson learnt here, but passing it on to this forum too.
    Last edited by coolmobility; 04-26-2016 at 03:20 AM.
    Just love inventing stuff.

Thanks.
    I'm adding....I was told somewhere, do not have ZX1 power ON while charging is going on.

So I called Spinergy today and they forgot to ship the strap, I am a little disappointed
    I got into it again whenever I've hit a bump that's when I stop, it has to be the strap...
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

triumph: yes that was written quite some time ago and I'm not sure about whether there was any technical expertise behind it but I have found that it doesn't really matter. Pretty much once you plug that off board charger in and the fan starts up you can hear it. I always make sure I can hear the fan before the carer puts me to bed.

To all who have lithium ion batteries that's indeed how it works. Don't rely upon the so-called beeping to alert you that you only have a kilometre to go. It just stops and starts even in the slowest speed until it comes to a dead stop, then you're in strife! Mind you it displays itself fairly early in that you'll find it doesn't go up the same gradients as it does fully charged with out going into slow mode. This won't be of any comfort but I have a feeling that my range with the lithium ion batteries is depleting albeit not as disappointing as lead acid batteries.
    Last edited by takenaback; 04-27-2016 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    To all who have lithium ion batteries that's indeed how it works. Don't rely upon the so-called beeping to alert you that you only have a kilometre to go. It just stops and starts even in the slowest speed until it comes to a dead stop, then you're in strife! Mind you it displays itself fairly early in that you'll find it doesn't go up the same gradients as it does fully charged with out going into slow mode. This won't be of any comfort but I have a feeling that my range with the lithium ion batteries is depleting albeit not as disappointing as lead acid batteries.
    how many miles do you get with li-ion and do you regret getting them, also how much were they?

btw, it was the battery strap that made me stop

I get about 10 km but I do have a feeling this is reducing unfortunately. I haven't measured it for a while.

Lead acid batteries were completely useless to me as I do have to travel considerable distances, put it this way it does what I want it to do whereas lead acid batteries were insufficient and didn't last very long. I'm a very heavy user of the ZX1 travelling considerable distances everyday so it depends how much you use it and how far you need to go. I don't regret it whatsoever and the conversion cost me AU$200 and the lithium ion batteries cost me AU$460.

If it was the battery strap that must have resulted in something coming loose such as a battery connection. As mentioned previously I regularly make sure my battery connections are firm and I also put electrical tape over them to secure them. I have had them jolt loose at the most annoying times and that pin at the back to release the clamshell, well good luck doing that when there is somebody in the ZX1. Maybe there has been a design change from the original.

Have you never had a battery strap? It's pretty essential.

My strap and the computer has taken the wires off the batteries also. It's always happened at home because I'm leery on taking it out and have that happen. I hear you on the clamshell pin, what a dumb design. Perhaps a cotter pin would work. It's not a good feeling with no power while attached to the machine. I just put a 48vltx20ah lithium on my RoadRace Powerpod. It'd be cool if I could hook it up to the ZX, probably too powerful I imagine. Sure is nice though, can get over 50 miles on it doing 30mph. It'd fit where the two slz batteries go.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    I get about 10 km but I do have a feeling this is reducing unfortunately. I haven't measured it for a while.

Lead acid batteries were completely useless to me as I do have to travel considerable distances, put it this way it does what I want it to do whereas lead acid batteries were insufficient and didn't last very long. I'm a very heavy user of the ZX1 travelling considerable distances everyday so it depends how much you use it and how far you need to go. I don't regret it whatsoever and the conversion cost me AU$200 and the lithium ion batteries cost me AU$460.

If it was the battery strap that must have resulted in something coming loose such as a battery connection. As mentioned previously I regularly make sure my battery connections are firm and I also put electrical tape over them to secure them. I have had them jolt loose at the most annoying times and that pin at the back to release the clamshell, well good luck doing that when there is somebody in the ZX1. Maybe there has been a design change from the original.

Have you never had a battery strap? It's pretty essential.
    I was one of the first people to buy the ZX1 at a discounted price. I was on a waiting list for two years, yes I always HAD the strap, BUT IT SNAPPED. Did you have to change the joystick when you added the lithium ion batteries?

There is no change to the joystick.

New to ZX-1 Questions

Hi,

Im new to ZX-1 and this forum. Just a question after reading some posts. Is there a way to change the speed of the ZX-1 as max speed factory set is a little slow, if so does anyone know how to do this yourself?
    Also any tips for general driving other than practice, I'm mainly struggling with going over small thresholds/doors like 1 inch high, I try to square up and go slow.

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte