Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

elarson: can you give details about the armrest extension? Where can one order it and how is it installed. I have need for this as it's so difficult to do a weight shift with my short left armrest on the ZX1. I'd rather not have to install an armrest on my wheelchair itself, as previously we discussed.
    Thanks for any information and hope everything gets resolved on your husband's device!

I have no idea how to go about ordering them, and am not even sure if they are even available yet. Probably your best bet is to contact your dealer or Spinergy.

We had both armrests replaced to work with the armrest extensions. I think new armrests are necessary because the armrest extensions have a detent on them that only works with the new armrests that have detent holes about 1″ from the end. Other than that, they seem to be identical to the other armrests. The extensions feel very strong, and appear to made from a composite. I think they could handle weight shifts, but they do not have the foam covering on them.

What I thought was a joystick extension was not. It is the same joystick module bracket but there is a ridge inside the armrest extensions that keeps it from going back so far.

It only took about 5 minutes to install them. You basically follow the directions “Remove and Install joystick on opposite side” in the Operators Manual Z100080 Rev 4 Page 15, but install the armrest extensions before replacing the the joystick module bracket.

(Click for larger photo)
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks for the armrest info., elarson. I plan on ordering!

I was wondering if anyone here that LOVES their ZX1 would be interested in speaking to the OT who did my wheelchair evaluation? This would not be for me, and I do not know if she would listen or not. Some background, when I emailed to find out if she was familiar with the Icon wheelchair she was not and seemed to blow off every attempt to get her familiar or have her speak with various people about it. Yet at the evaluation when I showed up in a demo Icon, she absolutely loved it and said she will be prescribing it a lot.

I'm getting a smart drive power assist, however she mentioned both in email and then again today hating the ZX1. She said they ordered one and it was complete crap, they had to start over with the patient and the device is still sitting around somewhere. Ive never heard such negative feedback before. Of course people have had problems here and there, but nothing like what she's said. And when I think of all the great feedback on the device I've read here, it makes me disappointed that some people who may benefit from the device may not get one because the OT has been burned by a bad experience. I would try to get her to read here, but I don't know if she would. So I thought maybe if someone who really loves the device and knows it well (elarson? or triumph, since you used to work voc rehab) was willing to speak to her about it, she may change her mind. And maybe what went wrong before could be pinpointed so it wouldn't happen again.

When she first spoke poorly about the ZX1 I sent a pm here to pat to see if he might be willing to speak to her but didn't hear anything back. I'm not sure if he's active on the forum any longer, we've lost so many members.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Lin: Sorry, but I don't believe it would do any good for any of us to contact this OT. I would get another OT if you need further consultation. Meanwhile there's a ZX1 sitting around costing several thousands of dollars, that someone might wish to purchase. You might consider calling the OT yourself and suggesting this. My feeling is that Care Cure is a positive way to encourage each other to advocate for themselves based on information and help received here. You are very knowledgeable and impress me as capable of understanding that this OT has not thoroughly read the zx1 manual, contacted the manufacturer for help, looked at YouTube videos, etc. and doesn't plan to do so. That was very smart of you to show up in the ICON for your evaluation.

I love my ZX1. I would be unable to function in SF without it. That being said I use it as a commute "vehicle" and for not much else. I use to to get from home to the office, once in the office rarely put it back on unless I need to go to the post office, pick up laundry etc. Then it goes back on when I go home. Outside of work, it makes shopping or going to a restaurant possible, where before I simply didn't have the energy to do such things after wheeling to and from work. It is a different usage model than the smartdrive, I don't want or need something on my chair 24/7 to help me, I need something that when I need to get from A to B and that distance is fairly long or involves a lot of hills it can help me and I don't kill myself or my shoulder.

I would talk to her if it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here that LOVES their ZX1 would be interested in speaking to the OT who did my wheelchair evaluation? This would not be for me, and I do not know if she would listen or not. Some background, when I emailed to find out if she was familiar with the Icon wheelchair she was not and seemed to blow off every attempt to get her familiar or have her speak with various people about it. Yet at the evaluation when I showed up in a demo Icon, she absolutely loved it and said she will be prescribing it a lot.

I'm getting a smart drive power assist, however she mentioned both in email and then again today hating the ZX1. She said they ordered one and it was complete crap, they had to start over with the patient and the device is still sitting around somewhere. Ive never heard such negative feedback before. Of course people have had problems here and there, but nothing like what she's said. And when I think of all the great feedback on the device I've read here, it makes me disappointed that some people who may benefit from the device may not get one because the OT has been burned by a bad experience. I would try to get her to read here, but I don't know if she would. So I thought maybe if someone who really loves the device and knows it well (elarson? or triumph, since you used to work voc rehab) was willing to speak to her about it, she may change her mind. And maybe what went wrong before could be pinpointed so it wouldn't happen again.

When she first spoke poorly about the ZX1 I sent a pm here to pat to see if he might be willing to speak to her but didn't hear anything back. I'm not sure if he's active on the forum any longer, we've lost so many members.

~Lin,

I also don't feel comfortable speaking or writing with the OT directly. People who are narrow minded and jump to conclusions without much knowledge or experience really put me off. Having said that, I also agree with you that it will only hurt people who may benefit from the device and may not get one because of the OT's limited experience.

I plan to write a review about our experiences with the ZX-1, which are overall very positive. I have been waiting to do that until we get all of the issues sorted out. I'm not quite sure yet when that is going to be, because we specifically asked them to wait until we can have it configured with the newer lithium batteries -- hopefully soon. I'll post it here and on our website when I do that, and you are welcome to send it in an e-mail to the OT.

I suspect the OT's experience is caused either by it being a totally new type of device, or more likely, ignorance in trying to configure it properly and not taking action to remedy that. Like @triumph, I question if they have even tried to be in contact Spinergy to make sure they have it configured correctly. I highly doubt that Spinergy would be apathetic about that. Even with being international, we have had very good support from Spinergy, and I fully believe that all the issues will get sorted out. They even contacted us when they read on CareCure that I had stupidly fried out the charger and replaced it free of charge. That along with supporting us even on a public holiday make me question if the OT was not just too lazy to be bothered.

I fully believe that most of our issues with the ZX-1 have been because it is a new type of device and we got one of the first ones. I think with any completely new device like this, getting one early and being on the "bleeding edge" always means more issues. We knew and accepted that going into it, as I think the other early adopters did also. I also don't think the issues with the ZX-1 are any different than those in the early days of the SmartDrive or any other completely new type of device like this.

It also bothers me that they are letting it sit there collecting dust. At minimum they should offer it for sale on a site like CareCure for someone who might be in real need of it and who is willing to make the effort to configure it properly. For some people, like my husband with severe hemiparesis caused by strokes, the ZX-1 was really the only choice other than getting a powerchair. He already had a powerchair, forced upon him by an incompetent OT who would not listen to our requirements, which he totally hated and almost never used.

I wholeheartedly believe that the ZX-1 fits the needs well for people who are able to keep active using an ultralight manual wheelchair, but need/want the option for power as needed, for example, people with higher level SCI or shoulder issues, stroke, MS and other neuro, muscular and joint disorders. I have yet to find another comparable product on the market, and think this OT has got it totally wrong and is jumping to ill-informed conclusions.

Note: I have no affiliation with the manufacturer of this product and am not a trained OT.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

P.S. You are also welcome to copy and e-mail the message I posted to the OT. If she would like to respond privately, I will PM you my e-mail.

[BWhen she first spoke poorly about the ZX1 I sent a pm here to pat to see if he might be willing to speak to her but didn't hear anything back. I'm not sure if he's active on the forum any longer, we've lost so many members.[/QUOTE]

I doubt Pat would have anything to do with Spinergy after being ripped off by them. I'm not getting into the particulars of it but is typical of the practices they do.

Elarson, frankly I am really surprised and gratified they took care of your problems. I like their products but not the company itself.

I haven't read all the replies yet, sorry. Will do so and edit this post if necessary.

Triumph, I didn't have a choice of another OT. It was who I was being set up with by voc rehab. To request another OT would have meant waiting a few months for the evaluation. When I met with the OT, things were completely different and she was incredibly impressed by the Icon. She took tons of photos and told the DME guy from NuMotion he better get on with carrying the chair because she's going to be prescribing a lot. She and the NuMotion guy however brought up the issue with the ZX1 and basically thought it was an awful unusable product. They both also seemed surprised when I countered that I hadn't heard ANY such negative feedback, that any problems that had come up had been handled very well and in the end everyone was satisfied.

pattherat DID get back with me today, and so I've forwarded the email with a couple complaints about the ZX1 to him with her email address so he can contact her about it. I DO still think it would be very useful to hear from owners who love theirs, a more unbiased opinion. Since its looking like multiple people are willing to help, would you guys be interested in writing up something addressed to her, and sending it to me? You can by pm or email (just pm me to ask for my email). Then I'll put them all together, including your email addresses if you're willing, and send it to her so she can read all the responses and contact anyone in reply if she wants. I think that would work better than giving her email out to a bunch of different people. I really hope she's willing to look it over, I think if she reads the first glowing review she'd be willing to continue on. I'll also send the compilation to the guy from NuMotion that she works with, and worked with on the so called failed ZX1 who also is now biased against them. Hopefully we can change their opinions. I'd really hate for someone who could be helped to not find out about the ZX1, or even worse someone who found it online and wanted it to come in and be persuaded against it if it really was the best option for them.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.