Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

May be DME's markup. I am still in shock after one dropped off 4 Right Run tires my insurance paid for. 301 dollars for four RR's. Dang, I've gotten them for 35.00 a pair. If I had known, I would have paid the 35.00 myself and forgot about it. Next time I will.

Looking forward to your review of those batteries Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Pat I ordered these batteries, will get them installed today and report back.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/301061081949...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    15 bucks cheaper than amazon
    Nice Mac, Let me know how they work out. This size battery is very temperamental so you have to be vigilant on care and maintenance. They don't like to be fully depleted and definitely don't leave them in that state for very long or you will lose range quickly. Plug them into the charger as soon as you can after every use and leave them on the charger overnight even if the light turns green and they might last a year without much range loss. I usually end up replace mine every 6 months, I figure its like spending $10 a month on fuel for my main means of mobility. Money well spent.

I find 15ah are plenty enough for me on most days and I'm pretty active. If you want more range theoretically you could add to 12v 5ah batteries in parallel with the others and mount them directly behind the original 12v 15ah. This would give you 20ah. I modified the cover on a second ZX1 and installed 22 ah batteries that I use when think I might need the extra range and have yet to get into the red on those.

12v 5ah:

I am currently using aluminium split shaft collars to centre the ZX1 clamshell on the camber tube but I remember seeing some nylon self centring collars, if they are called that. Does anybody know what they are called and where I can get them from?

Cheers

Both are a bad idea. They aren't needed and probably another reason for your actuator woes. Why do you think you need them? If your armrests are adjusted properly they will guide you in. Just look down as you back in and align them over your manual wheels.

Are they are Spinergy product, the nylon tapered ones that is? I can't remember where I saw them. Have about half inch space between my seat posts and the armrests should this be otherwise? I don't think they are a problem for my actuator woes as I'm not the only person to experience this. My distributor has written to Spinergy with his concerns of the problem independent of my input. I have the split shaft collars positioned just so my wheels don't rub the side of the ZX1 handles but they never impact the clamshell closing as I am far used to judging it correctly. By the way with the "actuator end Force" set to 2 the actuator will give up closing if it encounters resistance. I have it perfectly set for myself so having the computer controlling software and USB cable has proved to be invaluable. Of course this is other than being able to change settings you wish to. I wouldn't be surprised if I have caused damage to the actuator by being in moving vehicles but I'm not giving up using the buses that's for sure. I think I saw it in the manual that you aren't supposed to do this but that would severely impact on my life quality.

On another matter I received today my two spare ZX1 motors from motion Tech in Taiwan for $82 US a piece plus postage of course. Just thought I would share this with ZX1 owners to save them a few dollars if there motor/gearboxes ever die. I have gone through one already but I do use the ZX1 extensively. It's a bit scary when one of the gearboxes starts locking up but hopefully I am the only one to have experienced this.

Cheers
    Last edited by takenaback; 07-31-2015 at 01:50 AM.

Tried out my lithium batteries on approximately 2.2 mile round trip trail I go on. By the time I was finished the battery charge showed only one green light off, then it popped back on when I was in my van. When I would do this trail with the original batteries I would be down all green lights and about one or two orange lights - and starting to worry about completing the trail. My goal is to do at least a 5 mile trail with no worries.
    At times on the trail I would set speed at full power, and it seemed that one green light would pop off, then on again when I reduced speed. Guess that means at full speed for this whole trail, the battery would start to go down sooner?
    I still have on the 'snow tires' for zx1 that I got last Fall from Monster tire. The trail near home has stones and dirt in parking lot and about 50 feet of that to get to paved trail.
    Wondering if the slick tires would be better to extend battery charge, but don't know if they can take that parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Are they are Spinergy product, the nylon tapered ones that is? I can't remember where I saw them. Have about half inch space between my seat posts and the armrests should this be otherwise? I don't think they are a problem for my actuator woes as I'm not the only person to experience this. My distributor has written to Spinergy with his concerns of the problem independent of my input. I have the split shaft collars positioned just so my wheels don't rub the side of the ZX1 handles but they never impact the clamshell closing as I am far used to judging it correctly. By the way with the "actuator end Force" set to 2 the actuator will give up closing if it encounters resistance. I have it perfectly set for myself so having the computer controlling software and USB cable has proved to be invaluable. Of course this is other than being able to change settings you wish to. I wouldn't be surprised if I have caused damage to the actuator by being in moving vehicles but I'm not giving up using the buses that's for sure. I think I saw it in the manual that you aren't supposed to do this but that would severely impact on my life quality.
    Using the controller?s end stop setting is not meant to control the actuators stroke. It?s there to prevent circuit overload in case of an obstruction. It??s not very precise as you probably know. To do what you want correctly you need to just add an external micro limit switch to the frame that gets triggered when you get to the height you want. In fact you already have a bracket on your frame where your crawl mode proximity sensor switch was. You could even use that switch if I?m not mistaken, a bit overkill, by just wiring it through the actuator wire that is getting current while extending.

On another matter I received today my two spare ZX1 motors from motion Tech in Taiwan for $82 US a piece plus postage of course. Just thought I would share this with ZX1 owners to save them a few dollars if there motor/gearboxes ever die. I have gone through one already but I do use the ZX1 extensively. It's a bit scary when one of the gearboxes starts locking up but hopefully I am the only one to have experienced this.

Cheers
    I don't think you did could have caused the gearbox to lockup by using it extensively. The most likely cause is due to the use of the wrong length mounting bolt(s). The motor is attached to the frame using 6 stainless steel bolts that thread directly into the cast aluminum gearbox. The 3 inner bolts are directly over the gearbox internals with only a small amount of space between the bottom of the threaded hole and the interior of the gearbox. The 3 outer bolts are longer than the three inner ones. If one of these got switched and torqued down tight it would break through the gearbox casing send shards of metal into the gearbox without you even knowing. Once they work there way into the gears the gearbox will lockup. This would also happen if someone decided to remove the camber plates that are between the motors and the frame and reinstall the same bolts that they took out.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Using the controller?s end stop setting is not meant to control the actuators stroke. It?s there to prevent circuit overload in case of an obstruction. It??s not very precise as you probably know. To do what you want correctly you need to just add an external micro limit switch to the frame that gets triggered when you get to the height you want. In fact you already have a bracket on your frame where your crawl mode proximity sensor switch was. You could even use that switch if I?m not mistaken, a bit overkill, by just wiring it through the actuator wire that is getting current while extending.

Yes I'm not trying to control the actuator stroke anymore just trying to protect it. The one I have in is still a Firgelli but I have one from progressiveautomations with a 7.55 inch minimum stroke (hole to hole) and a 10 inch maximum stroke. It will definitely hit its limit switches.
    http://www.progressiveautomations.co...inear-actuator
    It's a custom-made stroke which includes a 24 V option and as you can see it's a higher poundage. Only testing would tell if it is a sturdier option but I can't be bothered getting someone to swap out a perfectly operational actuator.
    I am going to persist with the Firgelli until it fails but hopefully that won't happen for a long time.

I don't think you did could have caused the gearbox to lockup by using it extensively. The most likely cause is due to the use of the wrong length mounting bolt(s). The motor is attached to the frame using 6 stainless steel bolts that thread directly into the cast aluminum gearbox. The 3 inner bolts are directly over the gearbox internals with only a small amount of space between the bottom of the threaded hole and the interior of the gearbox. The 3 outer bolts are longer than the three inner ones. If one of these got switched and torqued down tight it would break through the gearbox casing send shards of metal into the gearbox without you even knowing. Once they work there way into the gears the gearbox will lockup. This would also happen if someone decided to remove the camber plates that are between the motors and the frame and reinstall the same bolts that they took out.
    It's not the wrong length mounting bolt in fact I can't be absolutely sure it is the gearbox itself or the motor but first it started labouring in reverse, sometimes working sometimes not and this went on for a while before it started grabbing going forwards. This would pull the ZX1 sideways as you can imagine. I haven't pulled it apart but I just suspected it was a gear grabbing but it could be the motor itself. The longer mounting bolts were installed correctly when I swapped the motors over. It was the initial one installed by Spinergy. Maybe if I am bored I will take it apart to inspect.

Without the shaft collars on the camber tube not only would the tyre rub against the arm of the ZX1 but this would cause the wheel not to spin and when it scraped on one particular side it would try to pull the chair to that side as you can imagine so that's why I consider some sort of self centring device desirable for me.

The firgelli claims 240 lb, the progressive 330 lb. I see little benefit even if the claim is true. Other than the shaft enclosure they look virtually identical. Maybe you could do a test.
    The 2 1/2" stroke will probably get you to the height you like but I don't understand why you don't just let go of the joystick instead.

If you do get the chance, it's only 3 more bolts to remove the gearbox cover. I'd be interested in hearing what you find. If it is a gearbox save the motor part incase you need it in the future.

I think you might be better off either adjusting your armrests in a little or further back rather than use shaft collars, but if you're happy with them...

Yes they do seem very similar and only time will tell whether the extra poundage gave any benefit at all. If their claims are true one would think 330 lb would be sturdier, anyway I'm treating the current actuator like a baby so hopefully I won't be in need of changing very soon. Yes the 2 1/2 in stroke will be perfect for my purposes as I put quite a bit of time into measuring. I do let go of the joystick just at the point of being able to turn the wheelchair wheels so I don't go up into that range where there is no reachable end limit switch on the Firgelli very often. Sometimes you need to go up there to try and get out of certain situations and I will feel more comfortable knowing that I hit an end limit switch when I eventually do change. Of course the other thing is Firgelli don't offer a 24 V option in a 3 inch stroke from memory and progressiveautomations do but we will see what Spinergy do in the future.

Next time I have spare carer time I will have a look inside the gearbox but will certainly keep spare parts that's for sure as I plan on using the ZX1 for a long time yet. So I will keep you informed of that one.

I've gotta tell you Pat I have given my ZX1 an absolute hiding, it's a pity there is no odometer. I was going through AGM batteries every three months but I do weigh 80 kg. The AGM batteries were are a problem for me as I had to really nurse it home at times and live with the constant worry that I may not get there. Generally stopping for a little bit, travelling a little bit and stopping again saw me home in the end but having the lithium ion's fitted has been a game changer. I have measured it on flat services and I can get just over 10 km which is plenty for me but well short of the claims from Spinergy, in fact the claims of 5 miles with AGM batteries in my setup was unattainable. I originally had battery connectivity issues that would send the ZX1 into safe mode with the retrofit lithium ion BMS coming into play. It was an absolute pain in the backside and took me ages to work out, it was only when I had one red light flashing which was indicating a connection problem that I tightened all the spade connectors. Now it's great and I am doing just over 10 km/h in fifth speed on flat surfaces. I have individual profiles as you would probably have guessed.

Anyway I'll keep you informed.

Cheers

This message was composed using voice recognition, there may be mistakes.