Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

takenaback
    Hi Pat

My Firgelli actuator when connected fully extended is (hole to hole) 10.23 inches whereas the actuator itself has the potential to extend to 10.5 inches with a 3 inch stroke.

And what was their response when you made them aware of that? Because you are absolutely right and that's a problem. After I read your post I pulled the front pin and tried to extend the actuator and sure enough it went another 1/4" or so. Somehow dimensions got changed during manufacturing probably to fix one thing but caused this situation. Below you can see the difference between one that Spinergy built(top) and one that I built which is the one I use daily. Both actuators are fully extended and both swing arms are pushed to their maximum rotation. It's most likely the cause of your actuator problems.

I'm a quad with a ZX-1 and I've broken one of the gas springs / columbia struts. It's functioning fine without it, but I'm not sure if it is hazardous. I can't find anything about the piece in the owner's manual. Do you know what it's there for, exactly? It appears to catch on my manual chair's wheelie bar mounts.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

takenaback: I just did a search on anti-tilts to try to answer Saorsa's question and stumbled upon this thread that you started: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=anti-tilt . That is what did in actuator number one. Sorry I missed it initially had you taken Pat's advice and emailed me I could have saved you some trouble. Like I said before those set screws are a bad idea and should be scrapped immediately. Trying to mechanically stop the actuator will damage it. The extra 1/4" at the end of the stroke probably isn't causing much of a problem because it's in a range that usually never gets used. Spinergy needs to fix this however.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    I'm a quad with a ZX-1 and I've broken one of the gas springs / columbia struts. It's functioning fine without it, but I'm not sure if it is hazardous. I can't find anything about the piece in the owner's manual. Do you know what it's there for, exactly? It appears to catch on my manual chair's wheelie bar mounts.
    It's part of the anti-tilt system that keeps the ZX1 from rotating forward around the camber tube causing the armrest to dip down. This happens when going down a hill and stopping abruptly or when backing up a hill. Can you adjust your armrest brackets out a little and/or your wheelie bar mounts in a little so they don't hit?

Interestingly, I have obtained a copy of the "ZX-1 Field Adjustment Manual REV1 1152015 FINAL", which I hope to obtain permission to post here. The new system of the lower bolt adjustment has changed as you'll see in these photos. Just wanted to clarify for those with newer mounting system. Name:  ZX-1 Field Adjustment Manual block 1152015 FINAL.bmp
Views: 266
Size:  865.7 KBName:  ZX-1 Field Adjustment Manual insert1152015 FINAL.bmp
Views: 274
Size:  914.6 KB

There was also no mention of adjusting the front castor hole position, as detailed in Pat's photo, which would have probably helped get mine right (tried going to 24" from 25" but had to revert back to 25" due to tire rub on base of TRA axle mount posts in lower position and posts as short as possible - knobby tyres probably don't help too.
    Just love inventing stuff.

coolmobility

Very interesting looks much better!

Pat

Yes I only tried those set screws very briefly as I thought it would be toying with danger. It certainly wouldn't have helped with my first actuator but I didn't have them set when it actually failed.

I went back over my email to Spinergy and the subsequent conversation which was predominantly about the VR2 being a 24 V system and ideally 24 V actuators should have been fitted. I did mention to them that it wasn't hitting its end limit switch but there was no specific reply to that. With the computer program controller I have now set "Actuator 1 End Force" to 2 instead of 5. This leaves me with just enough force to get into the appropriate position with wheels scraping the ground. If I set this to 1 it's not strong enough to lift me but set on 2 it's just enough.

Cheers

takenaback: Well I'm glad you got it all worked out. Don't you get stuck though when trying to get over a threshold like on a sliding door for example? I often need to raise up a little to get over things. Your manual wheels will hit the obstruction first and cause the ZX1 to lose traction.

coolmobility: I see that they changed the fulcrum connection. It looks like they did it to eliminate spacers however they didn't realize those three holes need to be in an arc. Each hole needs to be the same distance from the rear actuator hole or it will screw up the geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    It's part of the anti-tilt system that keeps the ZX1 from rotating forward around the camber tube causing the armrest to dip down. This happens when going down a hill and stopping abruptly or when backing up a hill. Can you adjust your armrest brackets out a little and/or your wheelie bar mounts in a little so they don't hit?
    Thanks! I'll see what I can do to make the adjustment. Does the piece also prevent the chair from tilting backward, or do the upright brackets in the back fully control backward tilt?
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    A new 6 button VR2 PP1joystick is around 300 new and this programmer is available for 199. Perhaps should buy the module at sametime. I just want it fixed. If I have to put a few bucks into it' so be it.
    Hi Patrick M and PatT T. - I just received a new ZX1 and I'm trying to dial it in. This thread and your posts are most timely. Is the Quantum PP1 programmer above the correct one for ZX1? Is it an A, B or C model and is that one of those on Ebay?

Also, in the attached photo, i assume the blue tape is attached to the cord to the crawlmode sensor connector - am I correct? I noticed when that cord is unconnected the ZX1 moves right along (albeit with jerky tracking). When connected it's speed is reduced to crawl mode which is useless for me. Is there a a legitimate saftey reason for keeping the CM connected?

Also - my wheel height holes are aligned in a row like coolmobilty's and I too only made the adjustment to the two upper bolts not the front casters or lower two behind the wheel. Am I headed for actuator failure in the near future?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    Thanks! I'll see what I can do to make the adjustment. Does the piece also prevent the chair from tilting backward, or do the upright brackets in the back fully control backward tilt?
    It slows tipping backward but is not meant to prevent it. Your chair must be able to rotate backward via the camber tube clamshell connection. Rule of thumb is you should at least be able to raise your front casters 2 inches off the ground. The armrests are the ultimate anti-tip preventers. Anti-tilts are kind of like training wheels for novice users. Once you get use to the ZX1 I would get rid of them.