Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    LARRY the owner of the 1st ZX1s that came out told me that he still uses the MK batteries 12v12AH mk batteries and got in touch w/ me and told me that it must be the battery
    There may be something to that. Quality control might be higher at their manufacturer. I would hate to give up the extra 3 ah's though given the short range of the ZX1. I usually buy mine online from the cheapest but reputable looking place. I've gotten two bad ones but both times they sent me out a new one free of charge and received them in a few days.

This one seems to carry batteries from a large number of manufacturers including MK.: http://www.replaceupsbattery.com/sea...rch_query=15ah

These are about $20 more but claim to be superior: http://www.amazon.com/QTY-Battery-Te.../dp/B00KBZDM9A

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post

t8burst: Sounds like you may have a similar problem. Possible improper set up or assembly.

Thanks Pat. Since is a new phenomenon that coincided with my "commute" intersecting some very nasty road construction at Sacramento and Front is it possible I have pushed something out of place due to rough terrain. I am fairly technical (albeit more of a software than hardware guy) and a fairly close inspection of the actuator assembly didn't reveal anything bent or missing.

I will ask Spinergy if there is a mechanical way to limit how far down the actuator goes. The simplest solution may be just put a 4 in wheel on the front instead of the 3 inch stock one.

Bypassed the breaker and got the same results. Voltage on batteries were ~12.83V. dismounted the unit. Turned off and on; full lights. Let stand an hour; still full lights. Connected back up to chair and engaged. As before, lights went completely dim and steering very sluggish, still in extreme crawl mode. Dismounted, turned off/on; lights all on but started to go down rapidly. Left on til only one red flashing light left. Shutoff; checked batteries ~12.82.

A new 6 button VR2 PP1joystick is around 300 new and this programmer is available for 199. Perhaps should buy the module at sametime. I just want it fixed. If I have to put a few bucks into it' so be it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Bypassed the breaker and got the same results. Voltage on batteries were ~12.83V. dismounted the unit. Turned off and on; full lights. Let stand an hour; still full lights. Connected back up to chair and engaged. As before, lights went completely dim and steering very sluggish, still in extreme crawl mode. Dismounted, turned off/on; lights all on but started to go down rapidly. Left on til only one red flashing light left. Shutoff; checked batteries ~12.82.

A new 6 button VR2 PP1joystick is around 300 new and this programmer is available for 199. Perhaps should buy the module at sametime. I just want it fixed. If I have to put a few bucks into it' so be it.
    This is sweet that you can order standard off the shelf parts. They should add that to their marketing. I don't think any of the other power assist devices use generic parts.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm just going with the number off the programmer Pat sent up. Will wait to see if he has any advice first. I didn't buy this thru Spinergy. This is one Pat made before selling to them.

I'm just going with the number off the programmer Pat sent up. Will wait to see if he has any advice first. I didn't buy this thru Spinergy. This is one Pat made before selling to them.
    Yeah, Spinergy probably scrubbed the generic reference numbers during manufacture. Pat should have good advice. One part might be more likely at fault than another.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've got your current program on a file on my computer. I've also got an extra joystick and controller kicking around here. I can program it and send them up to you.
    If that doesn't fix it, it's got to be a short in a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Thanks Pat. Since is a new phenomenon that coincided with my "commute" intersecting some very nasty road construction at Sacramento and Front is it possible I have pushed something out of place due to rough terrain. I am fairly technical (albeit more of a software than hardware guy) and a fairly close inspection of the actuator assembly didn't reveal anything bent or missing.

I will ask Spinergy if there is a mechanical way to limit how far down the actuator goes. The simplest solution may be just put a 4 in wheel on the front instead of the 3 inch stock one.
    Limiting it mechanically is not a good idea. If it was fine before your "commute" then I would say that you may have bent something, possibly the triangle shaped parts that connect the actuator to the shock or the shock itself. How much air pressure is in your shock? Does it measure 6.5" from eye to eye?

Below is a pic illustrating what I mentioned earlier about the 3 adjustments needed when setting the ZX1 up to work with different size manual wheelchair wheels. If just one of these adjustments is wrong it'll throw off the whole geometry and can cause actuator failure.

Last edited by pattherat; 07-26-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    I suspect your linear actuator is on the way out. Probably not the news you want to hear but I have gone through two of these. They cop a fair bit of pressure but one of the things that has always concerned me is that they don't reach their limit switch fully extended (clamshell shut). In other words you can keep the clamshell closing until you hear a beep which is not the limit switch. Spinergy are looking into a 24 V higher poundage actuator from progressiveautomations instead of the 12 V Firgelli actuator currently being used. The VR2 is 24 V so obviously this means the 12 V actuators are spinning twice as fast as designed. I have racked up a lot of miles with my ZX1 so I have experienced quite a few problems but not all of the ones previously mentioned. After my actuators started getting stuck, whining and moaning it was very shortly after they failed.
    After the actuator closes the clamshell it continues to open raising the the swing arm assembly thereby lifting the manual chair until it reaches its limit switch. You should hear no beep even when fully extended that I'm aware of. Below you can see the actuator fully extended the 3 inches with no obstructions.

Hi Pat

My Firgelli actuator when connected fully extended is (hole to hole) 10.23 inches whereas the actuator itself has the potential to extend to 10.5 inches with a 3 inch stroke.
    Last edited by takenaback; 07-26-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Clarity