Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Yep, starts out fine then goes south once the green lights start dropping. I noticed there is a printed circuit board in the controller when he took it apart. Perhaps I should start by just replacing it as once the lights start dropping and I turn it off and back on the lights will get dimmer when I push the throttle. They don't when I activate the clamshell.

Mac, mine did the same at first. Once your yellow dots reappear, how long before they start dropping again?
    After a few minutes, drives me crazy. I go 1 block - down to 4 yellow. Keep going until I get 4 dots then turn it off when it goes down to 4 dots, turn it on and get 3 yellow then go 2 blocks and 4 dots again.
    Last edited by Mac85; 07-24-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Thanks Noise. I think I'll buy a used programmer first, reprogram and go from there. I'd need one if I changed out the stick and module anyway.

I hear ya Mac, it is frustrating; makes one leary of taking it out for any distance over a block.

takenaback: The actuator should absolutely reach its limit switch. If it's not then your ZX1 is not properly set up. What's stopping it? 24 Volts won't affect the life of the actuator because it's such a short duty cycle. I've used the same ones for over 6 years now. Whatever is causing your actuator to stop before it hits it's limit switch is what's causing the failure. One thing to check and I just noticed that their videos are wrong on this, is the proper set up for different size manual wheelchair wheels. There are three different adjustments needed to make to change from on size to another not just the one they mention. So if the three adjustments are not in the proper position you can have a lot of different problems and can cause actuator damage. It's possible it was assembled incorrectly to begin with. Another thing to check is the allen head limit bolts that I guess are meant to keep the clamshell from opening up if you flip over? They are a bad idea, not mine, and could be the cause of your actuator problems. To be honest I've never heard of anyone else having a problem with the actuator.

t8burst: Sounds like you may have a similar problem. Possible improper set up or assembly.

Pat: Sorry to hear you're still having a problem. I know we went through this almost exactly one year ago and it turned out it was a bad battery twice. I checked both your joystick and controller last year and they were both fine. I'm not saying you don't have a short somewhere but it's always easiest to check the cheap and simple things first. You haven't said whether or not you were able to check all 8 of the battery wiring harness connections that I mentioned in a previous post. If you have and they are all clean and tight I would then eliminate the 50 amp circuit breaker by bypassing it and see if that fixes your problems. If it's failing, it can cause these symptoms.

thanks Pat, I did check the connections. Will try bypassing the breaker. I do that by disconnecting the + and - from the breaker and connecting one of the wires directly to the other battery for pos., neg, pos, neg setup.

thanks Pat, I did check the connections. Will try bypassing the breaker. I do that by disconnecting the + and - from the breaker and connecting one of the wires directly to the other battery for pos., neg, pos, neg setup.
    Careful...again, I cannot see it, but that does not sound correct. How many wires go to the breaker? Usually only one go in and one go out. Both would be positive since the breaker only breaks the one wire. And in normal cases to bypass a breaker one would connect those two wires together.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

LARRY the owner of the 1st ZX1s that came out told me that he still uses the MK batteries 12v12AH mk batteries and got in touch w/ me and told me that it must be the battery
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

That's right. Remove the breaker and one wire and connect the remaining wire to the other battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    LARRY the owner of the 1st ZX1s that came out told me that he still uses the MK batteries 12v12AH mk batteries and got in touch w/ me and told me that it must be the battery
    Interesting,...are you charging up and immediately starting out? If so it could be that the batteries have not stabilized to the lower normal voltage that the ZX1 is expecting. See Cool's post below and mine #298.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Noise, the negative of one battery plugs into one side of the breaker and the positive from the other battery. plugs into the other side of the breaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-25-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Noise, the negative of one battery plugs into one side of the breaker and the positive from the other battery. plugs into the other side of the breaker.
    I see, it's a double breaker for some reason, most things are not. I just wanted you to go slow and not make mistakes like I often do.

Edit: not a double breaker now that I can see it. Seems more like a battery management system than a breaker, but they have breakers in them. And this could be the issue alrighty.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-25-2015 at 12:23 AM.