Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I think I'm seeing what the problem may be with the "thump" when we raise the actuator on the ZX-1. Although the anti-tilt height adjustment is between 1 and 2 inches of the backrest rigidizer bar (as documented), it is hitting the Tishaft Back release bar. I can even see where the anti-tilt wheels have rubbed off the paint. I think we will need to adjust the height about .5-1".

I remember when ordering the ZRA I wished we could have given a backrest rigidizer bar placement height so we could make sure it was a bit higher. I think we will have only a small margin for this adjustment. It may be something worth considering for others ordering a new chair for use with the ZX-1.

I made a video with Rob in the chair and also without him in the chair in case anyone is interested. It shows the ZX-1 Power Add-on Anti-Tilt mechanism hitting the back release bar on a TiLite ZRA.

I think I'm seeing what the problem may be with the "thump" when we raise the actuator on the ZX-1. Although the anti-tilt height adjustment is between 1 and 2 inches of the backrest rigidizer bar (as documented), it is hitting the Tishaft Back release bar. I can even see where the anti-tilt wheels have rubbed off the paint. I think we will need to adjust the height about .5-1".

I remember when ordering the ZRA I wished we could have given a backrest rigidizer bar placement height so we could make sure it was a bit higher. I think we will have only a small margin for this adjustment. It may be something worth considering for others ordering a new chair for use with the ZX-1.

I made a video with Rob in the chair and also without him in the chair in case anyone is interested. It shows the ZX-1 Power Add-on Anti-Tilt mechanism hitting the back release bar on a TiLite ZRA.

I've been really busy, so not had time to do any of the suggestions above about the anti-ips. I will do them when we install the gas springs. I'm hoping to do that later this week. Any input or sugestions before then would be most appreciated.

Can't seem to get to the 2nd page of this thread.

I have let CareCure know about this in the Priority Fixes for the Web Site thread.

I think it was caused because I added a video, which they have found to be a bug. I have asked them to delete my post.

We want to adjust the sensitivity of the joystick to make it little less sensitive. The reason we want to do this is that when my husband puts pressure on the joystick it moves quite fast and jerks a lot. This is especially a problem in tight spaces indoors or in crowded places with many people nearby. Especially with him being new to a joystick, and needing to use his non-dominant hand, we think it will be easier for him if it is a little slower to respond.

When I originally talked to Spinergy about this last year, they said that they would loan us a PP1 programmer to adjust it. Later they said that we need to wait until there is a local dealer and go through them. I've sent a few e-mails but not heard back from them, and it's almost a year later. We considered buying a programmer from PG-Drives, but it's a bit more than we want to spend right now.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can find someone who has a programmer and knows how to program it, but they will not have ZX-1 knowledge. I'm curious if you think that someone with general power wheelchair knowledge could do this on the ZX-1?

Just in case this is useful to anyone else, here is a link to the VR2 Technical Manual that PG Drives sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Went to a dealer today and he increased my forward speed by 20% and that is really good for me. I could have gone much more but the top speed felt really appropriate as a maximum and I needed to use the first speed for delicate operations like getting in my vehicle. He told me the forward speed is increased as a whole so it affects all speeds in a forward direction. Didn't cost anything so I am a happy camper.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I would try somebody with general wheelchair knowledge of programming. Basically their programmers will either work or they won't so I wouldn't go outlaying any money buying my own personal control which may only be used once or twice for optimal settings.

Cheers

Pat Tallino reset my ZX for smoother turning and forward speed. I didn't like the setup so he sent me his programmer so I could set it to my liking. Took all of 10 minutes to get it where I liked it. You could email him for the setting he has on his which is much smoother than what it sounds like you have. You could then take it to your dme and have them reset it. I'm considering buying a PG programmer on Ebay, looks like they go for around 125 plus used.

For tighter spaces I just turn the power down a few lights, makes a lot of difference with the jerking.

Thanks for the information. I think I will wait a few more days for Spinergy, and then see what I can do locally.

Just in case this is useful to anyone else who wants to do their own programming, this is what I learned when I checked into this last year.

I talked to PG Drives Technology in the UK (now part of Curtiss-Wright) about purchasing a PP1 or Mobility PC Programmer and interface cable. I was told it's better to not get the dealer versions (PP1a and PCPa) because you have more control over the parameters with the "b" OEM versions. This is consistent with what was said on WheelchairDriver.com forums where there is some good information about programming.

I asked for the pricing of the Mobility PC Programmer (PCPb OEM Version D50145) and interface cable and was told it is ?153.00 GBP (€178 Euro / $228 US dollar) give or take shipping, etc. I was told that the PP1 (PP1b D459511) costs more, and since it does less, it does not make much sense.

PG Drives sent a schematic of the cables for the PG Drives PC Programmer D50145, which includes an XLR connector (Neutrik) with a RS-232 connector (serial) and a USB adaptor and supports Windows 7, which is what we have.

Should we decide to purchase a Mobility PC Programmer and interface cable (PCPb), Marty at Spinergy also said they could create a parameters file to e-mail us to download to the ZX-1. If you happen to have Pat's e-mail, could you PM it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Pat Tallino reset my ZX for smoother turning and forward speed. I didn't like the setup so he sent me his programmer so I could set it to my liking. Took all of 10 minutes to get it where I liked it. You could email him for the setting he has on his which is much smoother than what it sounds like you have. You could then take it to your dme and have them reset it. I'm considering buying a PG programmer on Ebay, looks like they go for around 125 plus used.

For tighter spaces I just turn the power down a few lights, makes a lot of difference with the jerking.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Anyone have Medicare pay for a ZX-1

Spinergy still does not have much information on their website about the ZX-1. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get Medicare to pay for a ZX-1.

I can't even find an HCPCS code it would fit with. The closest I can find is HCPCS E0986 - Manual Wheelchair Accessory, Push Activated Power Assist, but that would be used for something like the SmartDrive or e-Motion wheels.

We have had a few problems with the ZX-1 since we received it last summer. It has taken quite some time to sort them out, because they did not have a dealer in the Netherlands for the ZX-1 until just recently, but we are finally making progress.

We met with them the other day and reviewed the setup. Below is in overview of where we are. Keep in mind when you read this that we got one of the very early models due to our rush to order or lose our funding, so we have no bad feelings towards Spinergy about it. In fact, other than needing to wait so long to do this, they have been very good about customer service.

1) Joystick Sensitivity Adjustment

We have been trying to adjust the sensitivity, because it was too fast and jerky. As soon as we plugged in the PP1 programmer, it was obvious that many of the settings were nowhere near what they should be at. We reprogrammed it to the default settings and it was a huge difference, and we think it will work quite well without needing to lower them.

2) Extended armrests and joystick extender

The dealer installed the new (2014) extended armrests and joystick extender. They work great, and are definitely going to make it easier for my husband to use it. I think especially for people with longer arms they are quite useful. The armrest extensions are 4 1/2" and the joystick extender adds another 2".

(click to make larger)

3) Actuator behavior

We also took a look at the actuator because of a loud "thump" we have when raising it. The dealer took at a look at it and said that he did not think it was working properly. He said that the actuator should close the clamshell and then raise. What it is doing now is first raising, and then closing the clamshell. He did some testing with holding down the actuator until the clamshell closes, and we do not have the ?thump?. We could not determine the cause of this. I have made a video showing this: http://youtu.be/WUzS9eWI_xM.

4) Anti-tilt mechanism misalignment

We also talked about the anti-tilt mechanism because it does not appear straight. We are needing to put the screws in different holes on each side of the armrest backrest and height bracket. The dealer confirmed that this was not necessary on his demo model, but we don't know what the cause of this is.

We heard from Spinergy today to say that because of the problems with the actuator and also the anti-tilt mechanism, they will be replacing the enitire ZX-1. I think this is very generous of them, especially considering international shipping. The good news is that my husband can keep using it until we receive the new one, we will just need to hold down the actuator while the clamshell engages.
    Last edited by elarson; 08-15-2014 at 04:00 PM.