Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

AGM is Adsorbed Glass Matt where each lead plate of a SLA battery is prevented from touching by a layer of usually fibreglass matt. Your SLA battery would most likely be an AGM.

For the crimps you need to pull off and push on a couple of times to rub off any corrosion or oxidisation. If any crimp is loose they can be carefully squeezed with pliers (just be careful not too tight), but problems there would create hot terminals, not at the electronic components. Heat usually means high current, poor connections/dry joints, or faulty components.

I use cheap ebay Voltmeters, both analogue and digital and have not had any problems but your readings are too high.
    Just love inventing stuff.

Thanks for the explanation Cool. I borrowed my neighbors better meter and got the following readings:

I took the ZX, freshly charged to the workshop and did the load test by placing the unit against a wall and skidding the tires at full throttle.
    Preload Right Batt, 13.21v Left 13.19V Both 26.4V
    Under load 12.02V 11.99V 23.5V
    Post load 13.13V 13.12V

I then took it up and down loose gravel til the lights started to drop and go into crawl mode, approx.150ft.. By the time I got to my cement, 50ft., the lights on the joystick had gone from full to the second red flashing light.
    Left 12.83V Right 11.84 Both 25.4

I tested the batteries again; the lights were back up to full. I attached it to take inside. It was still in crawl mode with all lights dimming when throttle was pushed. By the time I got to the house, 30 ft. it was already down to the 2nd red light. I detached and shut off the machine to test the batteries. When turned back on they were all lit but I watched as they dropped back to the one light in approx. 90seconds. The lights would dim when throttle was pushed forward.
    L 12.83 R 12.12.80 Both 25.6

I turned on the machine; all the lights on the joystick were off, meaning the batteries should have been drained: Left: 12.78V Right: 12.68 Both: 25.6

I've recharged the batteries and left the machine turned on to see if there would be a battery drop; so far after 5 hours, there hasn't been a change in the lights dropping.

Tomorrow, I'll clean the connections and spray some contact cleaner on them. Thanks guys, I appreciate your taking the time to hash this out.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    bump
    I was waiting for someone who owns a ZX1 to comment.
    The numbers seem okay, but there is a rebound effect.
    Why don't you stop spinning wheels for a moment and see Interstate if you have one up there or AutoZone can load test these for you? I'd trust Interstate if you can get in there, but that's probably Bellingham.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks Noise. I really doubt it's the batteries as this problem has gone on for at least two years and two battery changes. It's just gotten worse. I'm ready to give up on it and just continue to use it for trips to the workshop and back.

I may take it down to the Lions wheelchair warehouse. They have an electronics guy there who just works on power chairs. Thing is I don't want to take it anywhere only to have it stop 150 feet or so out of my van.

Thanks Noise. I really doubt it's the batteries as this problem has gone on for at least two years and two battery changes. It's just gotten worse. I'm ready to give up on it and just continue to use it for trips to the workshop and back.

I may take it down to the Lions wheelchair warehouse. They have an electronics guy there who just works on power chairs. Thing is I don't want to take it anywhere only to have it stop 150 feet or so out of my van.
    Woah, so it works absolutely correctly or not with brand new batteries? I remember you were looking for really good batteries.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

lol, new batteries and works correctly for the first 200 ft., then goes into crawl mode and drops from there. I stuck with the UBI, Universal Battery Industry(?). They work great on my Powerpod for several years.

lol, new batteries and works correctly for the first 200 ft., then goes into crawl mode and drops from there. I stuck with the UBI, Universal Battery Industry(?). They work great on my Powerpod for several years.
    I think you've just shown that you do not have a battery problem since it's happening with new ones. It could be a short or something drawing way too much current. Go back to looking at that warm spot when you see the guy at Lions.

Thanks Noise, I think that's it also. I'll take it tomorrow for him to checkout.

whats wrong with my zx1? bateries universal 12v15ah universal changed 3 months ago, after charge I drive 1 block and the green dots disappear
    https://youtu.be/JryMYke-CC0
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09