Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Thanks Pat. That is exactly what I did with velcro on the seat cross member, so we are okay there. I so appreciate you thinking through this with me. I doubt there is anyone else who could really help us with this.

The bigger problem I am having is the D's Locks not wanting to engage at about 20 degree from the middle of the camber tube, which is what keeps the anti-tips clear of the ZX-1 cross member. At about 30 degree it is okay, but then we have conflict with the ZX-1 cross member. I'm working on this more this weekend, because after looking at all the conflicts last night I see that things aren't aligning, which might be adding to the problem (see post How often do you check toe-in/toe-out?).

I was at least able to finally get some relatively good photo's today (camera's is also wonky), because I have had a heck of a time trying to measure with a caliper or anything else, and I'm hoping I can do it on screen. We just have way too much going on at the camber tube and this is like trying to find the sweet spot where it might work. I think it will work, I just need to find it! On top of it, we are also having battery issues now. I don't understand that, because these batteries were new in October 2014!

It is already working better than it did, so all of your input has really helped. Fancy a trip to the Netherlands?

P.S. Just in case you are bored, these are the photo's I'll be diving into. Not perfect, but a bit better. They link to our website, because they are just way too huge here for this many.

Casters on ground right and then left side:

Casters raised 2.25″ (6 cm) right and then left side:

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    You've got to be really careful with D's lock cables when engaging to the ZX-1. If you are having problems with the brakes while engaging and disengaging, inspect the cables where the clamshell closes, there's a chance they got caught in it and crimped. Even if the outside of the cable sheathing looks ok, the metal wound inside could be crimped enough to slow the cable. I've done this before and I've seen it happen to another ZX-1 user. What I've done is zip tied the cables together and to the crossmember under the seat to keep them out of the way. If you do that, you should be able to rotate them forward a little so they don't interfere with the anti-tip brackets.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Looks like you are getting there. Just a couple of observations though. Your camber tube is way out of adjustment. The ZX-1 shroud is lifted up out of place. The new bolts you put in for the armrest brackets are slightly too small and or are just not tight enough. Bolts should be 1/4" and super tight. The anti-tilt levers look slightly too compressed when the casters are on the ground. This could be that you don't have the ride height correct. At proper ride height the anti-tilts should be just touching the backrest uprights or slightly compressed and the manual wheel chair's rear wheels should be slightly scrubbing the ground or no more than .125" off the ground.
    Have you tried rotating the D's locks toward the front more?

Anybody know where I can pick up a generic ZX1 motor? Without going through Spinergy that is.

Please see attachment
    Steve

Name:  28-05-2015 11-15-03 AM.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  74.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Anybody know where I can pick up a generic ZX1 motor? Without going through Spinergy that is....clip...
    A generic could come off Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...motor&_sacat=0

I suppose you have looked at the factory site. I could not find what I thought would be the ZX1 motor. http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/EP/mot...-gallery/en_US
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the information no noise but I think the folk over at wheelchairdriver have located the product not that it helps as the website is half in a foreign language. I'm really at a loss as to what motors will fit the ZX1 as appropriate replacements and what won't. Wouldn't want to purchase the wrong motor but this is the link to what I believe is it. Six bolts have to screw into the top of the ZX1 and they must be positioned perfectly. I don't know how standard these measurements are on gearbox motors for chairs.
    http://www.motiontech.com.tw/eng/inq...iew.asp?nid=36

It's motiontech and one of the motors I saw on what I called the factory site: http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/EP/mot...Gearbox-Motor/
    But the numbers do not match your motor: EC82M244632CLGBLOE so it's a crap shoot.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Two comments: When you are searching for a zx1 motor, is there a difference between 'wheelchair motor' and 'scooter motor'. Just wondering as when I found replacement tires they were under 'scooter tires'.

Also, I have been trying to get lithium batteries for my zx1 for several weeks. My DME is very reliable and has been trying to get them through Spinergy, with delays and promises with them! Anybody know whazz-up with Spinergy and lithium battery availability? A friend recently got them on his new zx1.
    I want to be able to go on some longer trails, and my two year old unit is starting to lose charge earlier. I wanted to be ready for Summer rides, and started this order over two months ago. Not good when you can't get parts in a timely manner for equipment used daily.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Two comments: When you are searching for a zx1 motor, is there a difference between 'wheelchair motor' and 'scooter motor'. Just wondering as when I found replacement tires they were under 'scooter tires'.

Also, I have been trying to get lithium batteries for my zx1 for several weeks. My DME is very reliable and has been trying to get them through Spinergy, with delays and promises with them! Anybody know whazz-up with Spinergy and lithium battery availability? A friend recently got them on his new zx1.
    I want to be able to go on some longer trails, and my two year old unit is starting to lose charge earlier. I wanted to be ready for Summer rides, and started this order over two months ago. Not good when you can't get parts in a timely manner for equipment used daily.
    Welcome to Spinergy! Great products; lousy customer service.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks, elarson, for posting about the YouTube videos. I've watched them all. Finally got my lithium batteries three days ago, through DME, who installed them. Curious about what others are paying for these batteries, when it's self pay.

So far my battery charge indicator did not go down at all after my customary shopping trip, then tooling around outdoors - the standard batteries were usually down two green lights. Also, elarson, we once had discussion about "crawl mode" which I never experienced on previous batteries after you explained. As soon as I activated the new lithium batteries for a trial run - no go....all the lights were blinking....called Spinergy and found out it was the dreaded "crawl mode". In order to get out of it I was told to only partially do the hook-up, leaving the wheelchair tires about 1/16" inch from floor, instead of pulling the joystick all the way back, leaving my wheels are about 1/4" from floor. The blinking lights disappeared and I was good to go. However, I need to get used to hooking up like that when I can't tell if clamshell is fully closed. Trust issue, I guess. I might transfer to couch and hook up chair a couple of times to see what's going on.
    Why did I get lithium one might ask? I REALLY like going on longer trails, some dirt packed, for maybe total of 5 miles, when standard battery was loosing it after a three mile round trip. It was the worry about running out of power while on the trail. I understand the range of the lithium is about 10 miles vs. possible 5 miles for standard. The lithium batteries are definitely lighter, maybe 1/2 the weight.
    I've demonstrated my unit to two quads, one bought one and the other is working on insurance approval. By the way I was hesitant to let them hook up in my unit for a short trial, but since learned that it probably would have been fine. Another friend who's a quad went to an expo and had several wheelers try his unit and only one did not fit due to the wheelchair design.