Page 23 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    They usually bulge out right before the bend as they get up to the hands on end. That's because they are mounted vertically behind the back post and need to get around it.
    This is a right hand arm rest taped to a 18 X 24 inch carpenters square. It fits my ZR ver. 1.
    Name:  armrest.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  244.4 KB
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise, if you are up for the hassle, let me figure out if the armrest you posted might work. It looks like it would. PM me and we can talk costs. We have a few neighbours with drill presses, so I think we can sort out the through holes. I so don't want to muck-up his good armrests -- I've learned that the hard way with experimentation and no back-ups.

I figured out a way to test option 2) and 3) better, without all of the hassles of trying to order parts to test with the arm stop on the ZRA. I was able to take the screw/pin and bolt from the ZX-1 armrest bracket and attach it to the ZRA arm stop. It's not snug and has some play, but will be good enough to test, once I drill through holes in the arrmrests.

I think this is testimony to Pat's KISS approach "Keep it simple, stupid" by using standard available parts. I can't say how much I appreciate engineers that do that. Less is more when it comes to wheelchair design and maintenance, and designing the next best thing is not always the wisest for the user.

Thanks to listening to all of my missives.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-04-2015 at 04:47 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It looks like that would work. There is enough room under the bend to make it a good height. I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This is a right hand arm rest taped to a 18 X 24 inch carpenters square. It fits my ZR ver. 1.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I was able to take off the armrest bracket and do basic testing with only having the anti-tilt mechanism. Pat really was right when he said engaging and disengaging would be difficult. When you don't have the armrests on the ZX-1 the little bugger takes off in all directions and it's really hard to navigate it by holding the armrest. The lining up to engage/disengage was not so bad, but I really think it would be better to have the armrest brackets in place.

I was not able to test with having the armrest brackets on because I did not have enough fasteners, but I just ordered some. I couldn't find 316 marine stainless, which is what is printed on the washer, but I think A2 (304, 18/8) stainless will be okay because he does not use it much in wet conditions. I sure hope these will work, because I have a heck of a time figuring out the correct fastener sizes with all of the different international standards.

8) M6X25mm Button Head Hex Socket Cap Screw Stainless A2 ISO 7380 [this was edited]
    8) M6 Nylock Nuts Stainless A2 DIN 985
    8) M6 Washer 18 OD Stainless A2 DIN 9021

Pat, if you happen to know the screw size for the armrest / anti-tilt brackets can you let me know?
    Last edited by elarson; 04-08-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Edited to correct the screws used

I think I am making progress. I was able to test option 1) Use the ZX-1 armrests and ZX-1 armrest brackets as mentioned in my previous post. From what I am seeing with basic testing, this might work. With the the anti-tilt mechanism at the optimal setting of 3" to match the 3" COG on the ZRA and the armrest brackets moved back to 5", there appears to be plenty of room to to tilt the chair back without the ZRA armrest brackets coming into contact with the ZX-1 armrest brackets. The only problem I encountered is that there is not enough space on the upper armrest bracket hole to insert a washer because it conflicts with the upper horizontal member of the anti-tilt mechanism bracket. I don't think this is a big issue.

Sorry if these photo's aren't so good, but I would be interested in hearing any input.

If anyone can post similar side views of the ZX-1 configured properly without wheelchair armrest brackets, I would be interested to see how they compare. Be sure to take the wheelchair wheel off or it's hard to see everything.

Name:  DSCN3715 copy.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  88.7 KBName:  DSCN3714 copy.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  86.3 KB
    Last edited by elarson; 04-08-2015 at 07:57 PM.

I'm just noticing you have user friendly anti-tips on the TiLite in the photo above. Those look like a bigger problem than the armrest brackets. You may be able to leave the user-friendly brackets on the camber tube while using the ZX-1, depends on the COG, but I think you definitely need to remove the rest of those anti-tip posts/wheels. The TiLite must be able to tip back enough to lift the front casters at least an inch preferably two or three inches off the ground in order to work properly.

I usually take the user friendly anti-tips off, but I forgot for the photo. The user friendly anti-tip brackets seem to work okay as long as they are higher (more vertical) than the ZX-1 cross member when the chair is tipped back (with or without the anti-tips on).

I think I still need to play with them a little bit more, because the D's Locks don't seem to engage as well when I have user friendly anti-tip brackets higher (more vertical).

Right now we are able to tip back enough to lift the front casters about 3 inches off the ground. Would this imply that this setup will probably work once I get it all working together (assuming I can)?

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    I'm just noticing you have user friendly anti-tips on the TiLite in the photo above. Those look like a bigger problem than the armrest brackets. You may be able to leave the user-friendly brackets on the camber tube while using the ZX-1, depends on the COG, but I think you definitely need to remove the rest of those anti-tip posts/wheels. The TiLite must be able to tip back enough to lift the front casters at least an inch preferably two or three inches off the ground in order to work properly.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-09-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Yes that should work. The anti-tilts were not meant to be the primary anti-tip though, so I'd probably add something that bolted to the ZX-1 crossmember that contacted the ZR armrest brackets when the ZR is tilted back and the front casters are lifted to the height you desire.

Thanks for your reply Pat. I'm getting somewhere, albeit slowly. I'm still messing with the D's Locks, because they are causing the conflict with the ZRA anti-tips from being in the most vertical position as possible. I had to lower them again because they were not engaging well. It really helped when I raised the front casters to test adjustments, and just wish I would have thought to do that earlier.

With the actuator quite high this photo shows the front casters 2.25" (6 cm) off of the ground. I was able to get a piece of paper between all of the contact points, but it is very tight. Our house has a lot of indoor ramps and in my testing I had no issues with backward tipping. Although it might not be optimal, it seems as though the ZX-1 armrests, rather than the ZX-1 brackets, will act as a backup anti-tip. I know this might cause more wear on parts, but it may be a compromise we need to make to be able to keep the ZRA armrests.

I really appreciate all of your input Pat, and hope that I am not driving everyone crazy with all of my posts. Hopefully it might help someone else struggling with conflicting components.

Name:  DSCN3716 copy.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  111.8 KB

You've got to be really careful with D's lock cables when engaging to the ZX-1. If you are having problems with the brakes while engaging and disengaging, inspect the cables where the clamshell closes, there's a chance they got caught in it and crimped. Even if the outside of the cable sheathing looks ok, the metal wound inside could be crimped enough to slow the cable. I've done this before and I've seen it happen to another ZX-1 user. What I've done is zip tied the cables together and to the crossmember under the seat to keep them out of the way. If you do that, you should be able to rotate them forward a little so they don't interfere with the anti-tip brackets.