Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I'm not following what you said. Will you highlight, if you can, the part where you say *how* the second set of ZRA armrests will be used?
    Secondly, why won't any set of one inch outside diameter of armrests work? You can cut them off and drill the req'd holes to match.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

When you get a chance to comment, I believe there are armrest/side guard combos that fit into a slot-receptacle mounted on the horizontal wheelchair tubing at the seat area. (Sorry if I have misunderstood this issue.)
    Yes they would be more difficult to remove and replace into the receptacle if your husband needs to do this himself. Also, if removed to get into the ZX1, the user would then be without the sideguards ("clothing guard"). But, just wondering if that was considered for armrests when not in ZX1.

I like those flip up side guards, did not know they were available. I must lift mine up and out every time I transfer, then fuss around trying to fit them back in place when transferring back into wheelchair (TiLite). I would like to occasionally use armrests when not in ZX1, but, alas, not up for doing the work, or using those combos mentioned, as I definitely need my sideguards when in chair.

We would need one extra armrest for option 3) Use one ZRA armrest and fit the ZX-1 joystick to it. I just updated the parts because we would also still need the arm stop parts. Probably most one inch outside diameter of armrests would work as long as they are a similar size to the ZRA. It's the arm stops that are specific to the type of hardware used for the chair. So yes, probably we could test this by having any similar size armrest as long as we have the correct arm stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I'm not following what you said. Will you highlight, if you can, the part where you say *how* the second set of ZRA armrests will be used?
    Secondly, why won't any set of one inch outside diameter of armrests work? You can cut them off and drill the req'd holes to match.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm not sure to follow you too ...
    And after a close look to your picts, I would have suggest you to :
    - remove the ZX-1 armrest brackets (and of course, its armrests)
    - Keep in place, well adjusted, the anti-tip system (I'm not sure you need absolutely a backup here)
    - use only your ZRA's armrest brackets and its armrest (best fit, well adjusted to Rob and the chair)
    - find a nice&easy solution to put the joystick at the end of the ZRA's armrest, removeable when the ZX-1 is unhooked.
    But I've forgotten something maybe ?

added: this mod (removing the ZX-1 armrest brackets) gives you the choice to use the armrests you want (ZRA or ZX-1).
    But may be you can only move them out of the way for the ZRA armrest brackets.
    Last edited by robotnik; 04-02-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Pat had mentioned using a "T-style" armrest also, and this was my reply:
    My husband has had the "T-style" desk arms with rigid side guards on another chair and we both hated them. They were heavy, hard to get off for transfers, and rattled around a lot. He now has an ADI seatbase with fold down sideguards and swing-away armrests that work very well for him.
    I noticed in the options catalog there are 2 new styles of armrests: 2-Point Flip Back Desk Armrest. It looks like the bracket would also get in the way of the ZX-1 armrest though, and I can't find them in the Parts Store to check. Here is a photo of all of the armrests:
    Name:  armrests.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  96.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    When you get a chance to comment, I believe there are armrest/side guard combos that fit into a slot-receptacle mounted on the horizontal wheelchair tubing at the seat area. (Sorry if I have misunderstood this issue.)
    Yes they would be more difficult to remove and replace into the receptacle if your husband needs to do this himself. Also, if removed to get into the ZX1, the user would then be without the sideguards ("clothing guard"). But, just wondering if that was considered for armrests when not in ZX1.
    I think you might mean the Swing Away - Flip Back armrests? My husband has them on his other chair. Indeed they are the easiest with transfers. They are a bit heavier and I have to keep them adjusted, but overall they work well.
    I like those flip up side guards, did not know they were available. I must lift mine up and out every time I transfer, then fuss around trying to fit them back in place when transferring back into wheelchair (TiLite). I would like to occasionally use armrests when not in ZX1, but, alas, not up for doing the work, or using those combos mentioned, as I definitely need my sideguards when in chair.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-03-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks Robotnik. I probably made that post a bit more complicated than need be. I was trying to work it out in my head as I typed. Now you know just how crazy I am .

I am leaning towards what you wrote, which is option 3, but I want to try all 3 options. I think I can test option 1 and 2 this weekend with hardware I have around the house. Even if it's not perfect I should be able to test it temporarily.

For option 3, I really would prefer a separate armrest that works with the ZRA -- we would only need one of them. Although I think I could drill holes in the armrest we have and use one of the joystick extenders we have that has a detent on it to connect, it will mean taking off the foam to drill a through hole and cutting the foam away from the front. Once I put the foam back on, I don't think it would be easy to connect/reconnect the detent (it's small), so it would be best if it was permanent. Here is a photo of the joystick extender if you are curious:
    Name:  2014 08 16_3906.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  262.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    I'm not sure to follow you too ...
    And after a close look to your picts, I would have suggest you to :
    - remove the ZX-1 armrest brackets (and of course, its armrests)
    - Keep in place, well adjusted, the anti-tip system (I'm not sure you need absolutely a backup here)
    - use only your ZRA's armrest brackets and its armrest (best fit, well adjusted to Rob and the chair)
    - find a nice&easy solution to put the joystick at the end of the ZRA's armrest, removeable when the ZX-1 is unhooked.
    But I've forgotten something maybe ?

added: this mod (removing the ZX-1 armrest brackets) gives you the choice to use the armrests you want (ZRA or ZX-1).
    But may be you can only move them out of the way for the ZRA armrest brackets.

Option 3 makes the most sense. I don't know why I didn't see it the first time. I have 2 1/2 sets of extra L armrests but I've forgotten which brands are which. None have holes like yours. So if needed, shout out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks Nonoise. I may take you up on that. We've been hit with a lot of expenses lately and paying what appears to be at least $75 for one armrest for this purpose seems a bit steep. If you get the chance, can you take a photo of your right armrests (we would only need one right)?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Option 3 makes the most sense. I don't know why I didn't see it the first time. I have 2 1/2 sets of extra L armrests but I've forgotten which brands are which. None have holes like yours. So if needed, shout out.

I wonder which is the right one? Do the armrests bulge out as they get up to the hands on end or do the two get closer together?

They usually bulge out right before the bend as they get up to the hands on end. That's because they are mounted vertically behind the back post and need to get around it.