Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I think that you are saying that the center of gravity for the ZX-1 is making it difficult to tilt the front of the chair regardless of the anti-tilt mechanism getting in the way -- is that correct? The center of gravity on the ZX-1 = 5", ZRA wheelchair = 3".

My husband has had the "T-style" desk arms with rigid side guards on another chair and we both hated them. They were heavy, hard to get off for transfers, and rattled around a lot. He now has an ADI seatbase with fold down sideguards and swing-away armrests that work very well for him.

I had thought that we had just enough room for the wheelchair armrest brackets and the ZX-1, so now I am in a real quandary for knowing what to do. This might sound crazy, but has anyone ever mounted the joystick on TiLite swing-away armrests?

They look to be the same diameter at 1". Another idea would be to use the ZX-1 armrest and add an arm stop and hole (part 4 in the drawing below) so it can be used in the ZRA bracket. I don't know, maybe it would just make the whole chair spin around on the camber tube, but it would certainly help with being able to keep his armrests when he is not using the ZX-1, which is most of the time.

Name:  Swing Away Armrest AS110778-Z.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  99.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    There should be no space between the anti-tilt wheels and the backrest uprights.
    Your ZX-1 armrest brackets are not adjusted correctly and should be moved forward.

This is your problem. The ZX-1 won't function properly with those manual chair armrest brackets. You need a T-style armrest on the manual chair.
    see examples 3 and 4 in section 7 here: http://www.tilite.com/documents/TiLi....pdf?mod=12115
    Last edited by elarson; 03-23-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    It looks to have a schrader (auto) valve on it. Does that mean that a standard pump can be used or is a shock pump needed?
    a standard pump will work if it supports high pressures... I have one that works up to 300psi.

The front caster is obsolete and does nothing. Why Spinergy continues to include it is beyond me.
    The shock on the ZX-1 does nothing. It should be replaced by a solid linkage.
    So yes it is now a completely useless overpriced Frogleg with an Alustomer!
    AH AH AH ! interesting considerations here Pat !
    So if I want I can swap this back caster with my Grandfather's Everest &Jenning ? Hopefully it is still in my garden...
    Ok, if we want to cut the costs we can try to sell these parts on eBay.
    It's a bit strange to imagine they are only here for the packaging. And without these parts, the price could have been more reasonable... Thanks to the Spinergy guys !
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Yup, If you can make that fork fit, sell the pair of Froglegs and the shock too. The ZX1 I use the most has just one unitine fork in the rear and no shock.

Interesting discussion. Hope you don't mind more questions....

I just read this after I went to put air in the shock and failed miserably. It did seem to have air in it, but after my effort to add air and check the pressure, I lost most of the air and could not replace it (pressure gauge on compressor is wonky). I'm a bit confused.... if the shock does nothing, why should it be replaced by a solid linkage or have 90 psi in it as mentioned in earlier posts? Does this mean that the shock could literally just be taken off and not be replaced with anything?

Also interesting about the FrogLegs forks. We had really wanted them for front forks on the wheelchair, but could not get the configuration right with TiLite when configuring the chair. I might be game for trying to swap them out for the TiLite standard forks. Does anyone know if the FrogLegs forks used for the 3" and 4" Epic casters on the ZX-1 can be swapped with TiLite standard forks used for a 5" caster?

I feel bad asking all of these questions, but in the past I have not been able to get many answers from Spinergy or our dealer. Perhaps that has changed and I should try again, but like robotnik, I like to understand how things work.

Yup, If you can make that fork fit, sell the pair of Froglegs and the shock too. The ZX1 I use the most has just one unitine fork in the rear and no shock.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I've been re-reading many of Pat's posts again about ZX-1 adjustments. I "think" I am finally getting it a bit more with the center of gravity. I had read that the center of gravity for ZX-1 is directly correlated to the position of armrest brackets in the documentation, but it didn't really sink in. If I am understanding correctly by what Pat is saying, by having the center of gravity too far back we are putting less force on the drive wheels and that is what is making it difficult to tilt it back and also what is causing the wheels to spin to get over bumps -- is that correct?

At least initially, I would like to separate the anti-tilt issues as much as possible from the proper operation of the ZX-1, because I am getting confused about what is a limitation because of the anti-tilt and would rather deal with that later. No matter what we do, I know we are going to need to make compromises, because we really need to keep the ZRA swing-away armrest brackets. If I am understanding correctly, we may loose some ability to handle curbs by having armrest brackets in place, but some of it can be offset by temorarily raising the actuator.

I was able to move the ZX-1 armrest bracket forward to 4th hole for a 4" center of gravity, with the chair center of gravity at 3", but have not been able to test it yet to see the difference. I know this won't solve it completely, but I am hoping it will help. I'm thinking of changing the wheelchair center of gravity to to 3.5" or 4". Because my husband is only able to use one arm/hand, he does not do wheelies and unless he is in the ZX-1, he does not do slopes unless he is being pushed. He also does not use the ZX-1 on a lot of hills and ramps, and they are usually fairly long and sloping when he does. He also does not use the ZX-1 at high speed, especially during turns and when maneuvering because he has visual defecits. It's really the front casters and uneven brick pavements that are causing him the most problems.

Does this sound like I am taking the right approach, or is it just impossible to use the ZX-1 with a ZRA wheelchair with swing-away armrest brackets?

P.S. As you may have guessed, I'm bad at understanding center of gravity/mass in general, despite quite a few here trying to help me. I had a ruptured appendix when I had physics and totally missed Newton's laws of motion. I never realised just how much I missed until having to try to figure out wheelchairs and now power add-ons! Yeah, I know, excuses, excuses...

Interesting discussion. Hope you don't mind more questions....

I just read this after I went to put air in the shock and failed miserably. It did seem to have air in it, but after my effort to add air and check the pressure, I lost most of the air and could not replace it (pressure gauge on compressor is wonky). I'm a bit confused.... if the shock does nothing, why should it be replaced by a solid linkage or have 90 psi in it as mentioned in earlier posts? Does this mean that the shock could literally just be taken off and not be replaced with anything?
    The shock is part of the linkage that closes the clamshell and then raises the manual chair. It could be replaced by a solid tube with holes in each end and the ZX-1 would operate just the same. I used heim joints welded on a chromoly tube. The reason for this is that even if the shock was setup correctly for the users weight and could function correctly by absorbing bumps there is no room for it to travel because the manual wheelchair wheels are only suppose to be 1/8" inch off the ground or less so there is no room for the shock to compress. A person would have to hit a mountain bike shock like this with a lot of force anyway to compress it at all and thats not going to happen riding a ZX-1.

Also interesting about the FrogLegs forks. We had really wanted them for front forks on the wheelchair, but could not get the configuration right with TiLite when configuring the chair. I might be game for trying to swap them out for the TiLite standard forks. Does anyone know if the FrogLegs forks used for the 3" and 4" Epic casters on the ZX-1 can be swapped with TiLite standard forks used for a 5" caster?
    The front wheel does help set the height of the clamshell when fully opened. If you decide to delete it on your own, you will probably have to make some kind of stop to keep the clamshell from going too low. I can post pics of a few ways that I have done this. Also swapping out the rear Frogleg for a standard fork is not all that simple because of the height of the Frogleg.

Pat,

Is it conceivable that you could be permitted to commercially produce and sell a lower cost "ZX1-like" device (e.g., no front caster, no shock, no frogleg, etc.) such that extant agreements with Spinergy would not be violated?
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 03-25-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Pat,

Is it conceivable that you could be permitted to commercially produce and sell a lower cost "ZX1-like" device (e.g., no front caster, no shock, no frogleg, etc.) such that extant agreements with Spinergy would not be violated?
    Your assuming that I could produce every other part of the product as cheaply and assemble and sell equally as well as Spinergy and do all other aspect of the business as well as Spinergy and just cut what is probably less than $100 of their cost off an $8000 product and compete with them. The retail price for something like this is not really cost driven anyway it's loosely based on what similar products are selling for. The product is sold through dealers so even if I tried to sell it at a cheaper price, dealers would prefer to sell the more expensive version because they earn a % of that price.
    What it costs for Spinergy to produce the ZX-1 doesn't concern me, royalties are based on gross. If they want to keep the shock and Froglegs because they think the product looks cooler, that's up to them. Personally I think it's ridiculous.
    To answer your question though, no I couldn't it's an exclusive agreement.

I've been re-reading many of Pat's posts again about ZX-1 adjustments. I "think" I am finally getting it a bit more with the center of gravity. I had read that the center of gravity for ZX-1 is directly correlated to the position of armrest brackets in the documentation, but it didn't really sink in. If I am understanding correctly by what Pat is saying, by having the center of gravity too far back we are putting less force on the drive wheels and that is what is making it difficult to tilt it back and also what is causing the wheels to spin to get over bumps -- is that correct?
    I'm not sure to understand you here ! Where did you find those posts about ZX-1 COG, may be I can help, but I must read before. I was thinking I've read most of the posts about ZX-1, but I can't remember those...
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.